Plastering Moisture Resistant Plasterboard

Onoff

10 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I was the same build at his age. Ribs like a xylophone! It's the curvature of the spine from the hours hunched over a keyboard I worry about!

He's a cider not beer man.

Hmm, many professions have their achilles heel. The OH had to give up being a spark (before I met him) when his knees were too knackered to do that stuff all day. He was a cider man too, which is why there is no cider in that stash of booze I found under the stairs :)

1 minute ago, newhome said:

Hmm, many professions have their achilles heel. The OH had to give up being a spark (before I met him) when his knees were too knackered to do that stuff all day. He was a cider man too, which is why there is no cider in that stash of booze I found under the stairs :)

I've always fancied hairdressing, paramedic or geneticist as an alternative career...

56 minutes ago, Onoff said:

We do have rellies in Pennsylvania come to think off it

I lived in Pennsylvania, just outside Harrisburg.  Literally down the road was Three Mile Island, and the other way was Lancaster County.  You could always tell when you were entering Amish areas, they smelt of pig shit.

And then there was Centralia, if you think that a nuclear meltdown was bad, you should see that place.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centralia,_Pennsylvania

Edited by SteamyTea

Just now, Onoff said:

I've always fancied hairdressing, paramedic or geneticist as an alternative career...

Now I almost did a degree in genetics. Always wonder what I might be doing now if I had. Probably sitting in some lab somewhere slowly rocking back and forth ;)

7 minutes ago, newhome said:

Now I almost did a degree in genetics. Always wonder what I might be doing now if I had. Probably sitting in some lab somewhere slowly rocking back and forth ;)

as opposed to ...  ?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Eat enough cakes and drink enough alcohol then you could self studied epigenetic.

I’ve got a book here on Epigenetics as it happens. Not got round to reading it yet. 

28 minutes ago, newhome said:

Oh and I meant to ask - can you feel that the finish line is in sight now? Seems like much progress has been made recently :)

Dunno, once you have walls, a ceiling and floor it speeds up a bit I suppose. The fact I've renewed all of them... 

The plan always was to learn from this one room. 

Floor next anyway starting at the wet room corner and working back! 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Dunno, once you have walls, a ceiling and floor it speeds up a bit I suppose. The fact I've renewed all of them... 

The plan always was to learn from this one room. 

Floor next anyway starting at the wet room corner and working back! 

Thought you were painting next? 

Tiling will be like the finishing touches! Hope you've got the champagne on ice, and who gets to use the shower first? 

2 minutes ago, newhome said:

Thought you were painting next? 

Tiling will be like the finishing touches! Hope you've got the champagne on ice, and who gets to use the shower first? 

Painting the ceiling's a 5 minute job in comparison to the floor tiles.

Girl had the first bath, boy's having the first shower, I'm christening the loo and SWMBO gets to clean them all! :)

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Girl had the first bath, boy's having the first shower, I'm christening the loo and SWMBO gets to clean them all! :)

Hmm, so it'll be ready before he goes back to Uni. Thought you didn't like deadlines? ;)

46 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Now you’ve done the plastering can we get this back on the original thread ......??

How does tiling = boxing in? I think @Onoff should rename the boxing in thread every time he moves onto a new phase, and then once complete it can be the trials and tribulations of a bathroom restoration (or something) ;)

And then he could edit the first post to link to the different phases (or out to one of the spur threads) so people could quickly jump to the section that might be relevant to them :)

Edited by newhome

6 hours ago, newhome said:

How does tiling = boxing in? I think @Onoff should rename the boxing in thread every time he moves onto a new phase, and then once complete it can be the trials and tribulations of a bathroom restoration (or something) ;)

And then he could edit the first post to link to the different phases (or out to one of the spur threads) so people could quickly jump to the section that might be relevant to them :)

I like the idea of renaming it on the bathroom restoration lines!

Lots of good info in my main thread covering many subjects I appreciate. Maybe it should have been a blog from day one?

These things tend to grow when you have only a vague plan and keep adding bits and changing your mind as you go! :ph34r:

6 hours ago, newhome said:

Hmm, so it'll be ready before he goes back to Uni. Thought you didn't like deadlines? ;)

Possibly but I'm debating getting some bricks in so we can build the front gate pillars together! 

Should I be trying to leave the window open during the day to help dry this plaster out fully? Not much airflow in the room otherwise, just a few draughts from the holes in the ceiling.

I've also left the raised floor in there thinking it'll assist when painting the ceiling. The floor boards are though quite (very?) damp. Maybe take them up and just paint off steps etc? I could then regain use of the bath & clean up the floor then think about tanking...

21 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You're late to the party, some other wag has done than one before I'm sure. Feel free to wade through and find it! :)

I’ve only been here 4 months! Not well acquainted with everyone’s bogs and blogs :D