Plastering Moisture Resistant Plasterboard

Onoff

On 19/06/2018 at 18:26, pocster said:

But @Onoff are you going to let tiny germs stop you ? No ! You are not - skim away !!! 

Yes, I'm ill. 

Oveheard SWMBO to her mate earlier "He was getting on alright then he got man flu!".

It's scientifically proven love, men get hit harder by these things! :)

7 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Yes, I'm ill. 

Oveheard SWMBO to her mate earlier "He was getting on alright then he got man flu!".

Oh it must be true then .

I thought you were bailing on the plastering ?

11 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Yes, I'm ill. 

Definition of Man Flu: 

An illness that causes the male of the species to be sicker and more helpless than any other member of the family. 

In females - a cold 

• Haha 3

Multi finish is fine for joints. I would do them first just before you hit the whole wall and before they go off.   

Corner trowels are pretty useful I would say if you are doing two adjoining walls. But better to do opposite walls first and then you will have a hard corner to work off when you come to do the remaining walls later in the day or the day after - much easier.

7 hours ago, jfb said:

Multi finish is fine for joints. I would do them first just before you hit the whole wall and before they go off.   

Corner trowels are pretty useful I would say if you are doing two adjoining walls. But better to do opposite walls first and then you will have a hard corner to work off when you come to do the remaining walls later in the day or the day after - much easier.

Cheers. Unforunately the joints are done and now dry. The last ones are much better than the first once I got my hand in! :)

Just the L shaped ceiling and one half wall to do.

Got my cream of tartar so all ready for when over the man flu.

On 19/06/2018 at 09:29, Onoff said:

Erm that's where the Onoff moniker stems from...all or nothing, feet first or sat on arse! :) I also have to be punched many times before I realise it hurts!

And there was me hoping it was OneOff with a typo, in the vain hope that there weren’t Two or Three of them .. ?.

:ph34r:

Edited by Ferdinand
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Man flu pretty much gone, just a tickly throat left! :)

Watching a video of plastering linked above and "Brad" seems to suggest the edges of the trowel be razor/knife sharp as in if you're not careful they'll cut your fingers off and I felt he was being serious. 

Yet I watched another guy showing how to wear in a trowel with 80 grit paper and he ran the paper square along the edge then took the burrs off. I followed his advice and the trowel felt right in use albeit just doing the joints.

Any pointers?

25 minutes ago, Onoff said:

and "Brad" seems to suggest the edges of the trowel be razor/knife sharp as in if you're not careful they'll cut your fingers off and I felt he was being serious. 

Not sure wtf that's about TBH. 

The outcome of using the same trowel every day as a spread will be the edges feather out and BECOME very sharp. 

If it's been suggested to attain that before skimming then that's duff advice. 

A 1.5mm stainless steel ruler will slice you if you run it hard and fast enough across bare skin, so the mention of a plastering trowel slicing you is common knowledge. 

A ready rubbed trowel will slice pigs into bacon so this is probably a very pointless chat. 

Bottom line, be careful as the trowel will be sharp. Simple.  

I'm with Nick, they get sharp but I wouldn't say they need to be sharp, 

it's probably more important that they are smooth and IMHO 80 grit isn't that smooth.

I remember years ago planning to make a mini treadmill with a leather belt to get wide tools super sharp. I just haven't needed to make it yet ;) 

17 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Not sure wtf that's about TBH. 

The outcome of using the same trowel every day as a spread will be the edges feather out and BECOME very sharp. 

If it's been suggested to attain that before skimming then that's duff advice. 

A 1.5mm stainless steel ruler will slice you if you run it hard and fast enough across bare skin, so the mention of a plastering trowel slicing you is common knowledge. 

A ready rubbed trowel will slice pigs into bacon so this is probably a very pointless chat. 

Bottom line, be careful as the trowel will be sharp. Simple.  

He does say something in the vid about it getting sharp thru use though I imagine as you say it's the edges thinning over time.

I cleaned the big st/st trowel and small 14" plain steel one with 80 grit and imo they spread fine just doing the joints. 

Just realised it's a pre worn trowel the other bloke works on with the 80 grit:

Edited by Onoff

10 minutes ago, Onoff said:

He does say something in the vid about it getting sharp thru use though I imagine as you say it's the edges thinning over time.

I cleaned the big st/st trowel and small 14" plain steel one with 80 grit and imo they spread fine just doing the joints. 

Just realised it's a pre worn trowel the other bloke works on with the 80 grit:

I still can't see how 80 grit would be anywhere near good enough for a finishing trowel. 

a half gone off ceiling is going to be something similar to a good few thousand grit wet stone.

fair enough take the corners off with a low grit but if you want to shortcut a new trowel into a finishing trowel I reckon you need to go to at least 800 grit if not a lot higher....IMO

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

That cream of tartar is a Godsend to a newbie. 

Warm in here, like the volleyball scene from Top Gun!

I can't critique it but looks great to me. Well done for giving it a go. 

Not sure about the Top Gun reference - wasn't that the supposedly homoerotic scene?! :ph34r:

• Haha 1

On 21/06/2018 at 06:10, Onoff said:

Got my cream of tartar so all ready for when over the man flu.

Is that a cure for flu then?

On 22/06/2018 at 21:22, Construction Channel said:

I still can't see how 80 grit would be anywhere near good enough for a finishing trowel. 

You not seen my girlfriend's make up have you.  She looks like an Essex Girl after being strapped to Southend-on-Sea's pier for the winter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Is that a cure for flu then?

You not seen my girlfriend's make up have you.  She looks like an Essex Girl after being strapped to Southend-on-Sea's pier for the winter.

She’s a looker for sure !

1 hour ago, pocster said:

Credit where credit is due !

Still think you got a professional plasterer in to do it ! - that’s what i’d do and claim I did it ??

Ta. No professionals involved!

I got the first set on the ceiling and wall with my lad labouring. I put one sachet of CoT in to a full bag of multi, should tbh have put two in. Did the ceiling first then the wall. When it came to finishing the first set on the wall it was getting a bit thick in the bucket. Probably a big no-no but I brought it back to life with a dash more water and another sachet of CoT. :ph34r:

Cleaned all tools thoroughly and did the second mix about twice as runny as the first but with two sachets of CoT from the off...it retards things a treat for a newbie like me. My boy and I then put the 2nd set on, me the ceiling and he the wall. I then started polishing it and my nephew turned up and helped finish off. Seems to be drying off nice. Nothing paint won't sort!

A good father and son bonding experience! (Get the plastering themed joke? :) )

IMG-20180624-WA0001

20180624_174421

20180624_174442

20180624_174451

20180624_174515

IMG-20180624-WA0000

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 3