Easiest way to chop logs

Adsibob

Electric chainsaw for me, so much more convenient than my old temperamental petrol one. I'm sure decent petrol ones aren't as much of a faff.

Only downsides to my dewalt is it is down on power compared to petrol and it does eat through the batteries 

4 hours ago, ProDave said:

idle so if you wanted to put it down, the chain was still running. 

That is why if you ever take both hands off the saw you put the chain brake on without fail …. Even on an electric !!

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

That is why if you ever take both hands off the saw you put the chain brake on without fail …. Even on an electric !!

If I had done that, with that particular POS it would have burned out the clutch in no time.

My biggest regret was not returning that particular POS while it was still within guarantee as it really was useless and unsafe.

Decent splitting maul and a sledge hammer, followed by a cancelled gym membership (if you are in to that sort of thing). Just working my way through some of my excess firewood in a site tidyness bid. Could use the chainsaw but it's far too hot when I'm wearing all the safety gear. I believe in H&S a lot more when chainsaws are involved.

I'd stack them horizontally such that you can and chainsaw them in situ.

Lidl grade chainsaw. Let it bite into the top log and kick it into the stationary teeth on the saw body. Cut through and into the lower two logs that you're using as a sacrificial cradle.

Then split the 20 cm lengths easily with a big axe. 

You'll then be warm. No need to light the stove. 😂

What's the maximum log length that your stove will take? If you can avoid halving the log lengths you'll save a huge amount of work.

I've only ever had corded electric chainsaws, I don't think they're in any way safer than petrol- you've still got the spinning teeth but now you've also got 240v and a trip hazard!

I got by for years without a log splitter but eventually relented and bought a cheap horizontal one. Not perfect but still a complete game changer. It's pretty slow- with good clean logs I can split faster with an axe, but the machine has way more stamina and just powers through everything I can throw at it. In practice we set up a little production line- I chainsaw, my wife splits, and the boy stacks.

19 hours ago, Adsibob said:

They are certainly not my choice of firewood, but I have it for free, and if seasoned long enough will be fine. I will burn it, mixed with some applewood that I also have (for free).

Seasoned for 18-24 months they are fine. I usually burn oak, or birch but have some Larch and cypress - the Larch I specifically collect as it is good starter fuel or for a quick active fire with reduced heat output. The Larch and Cypress get 18-24 month seasoning and its great. Even after 1 year of good seasoning the Cypress can be a bit resinous.

A good idea with Cypress and Larch is to get it get wet once cut. The rain actually helps the early process of removing the resin, I am not sure of the science behind it but an old Swede told me this years ago and I have to say, stuff that has been undercover more or less since felling, vs stuff that had some time in the rain was quite different in resin content. I agree it sounds counterintuitive.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, saveasteading said:

Ive seen adverts for tiny chain saw blades to put on an angle grinder. Or a disc with chain saw teeth.

Any good?????

Deadly things, they are banned in places, were meant to be banned here, can't remember. I would not even own one. 

Edit: found this again: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-safety-alert-issued-for-angle-grinder-chainsaw-disc-attachment

I believe, having searched, no reputable vendor will sell such a thing, only the Far East import and tat vendors.

Edited by Carrerahill
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Carrerahill said:

Deadly things, they are banned in places, were meant to be banned here, can't remember. I would not even own one. 

Edit: found this again: https://www.gov.uk/government/news/uk-safety-alert-issued-for-angle-grinder-chainsaw-disc-attachment

I believe, having searched, no reputable vendor will sell such a thing, only the Far East import and tat vendors.

We bought a log splitter from Aldi circa £250, on of the best bits of money we ever spent.

When we first moved in 20+ years ago I decided I didn't like the Lylandii in the garden, so I cut them all down in 1 day, 21 of them.

HID cut them into lengths and over the last year I've split the lot.

Very seasoned though, but in the wood shed for 19 years.

2 hours ago, LSB said:

We bought a log splitter from Aldi circa £250, on of the best bits of money we ever spent.

When we first moved in 20+ years ago I decided I didn't like the Lylandii in the garden, so I cut them all down in 1 day, 21 of them.

HID cut them into lengths and over the last year I've split the lot.

Very seasoned though, but in the wood shed for 19 years.

How on earth did you manage to go nineteen years without finding something more important to put in your shed?!

13 minutes ago, Crofter said:

Central heating doesn't stop you collecting lawn mowers and bicycles.

Lawnmowers no, bikes, think I have 5.

One fixed wheel, an Olmo, my made to measure Crabtree, my Scott MB, my hack bike and my ex's pink thing.

Thankfully I gave my old MB away as it was a little too large for me.

1 hour ago, Crofter said:

How on earth did you manage to go nineteen years without finding something more important to put in your shed?!

we have a lot of sheds, and had the barn that we are now converting

On 18/06/2023 at 16:13, Adsibob said:

... What type of power tool is best for that?...

A fit teenager and a bow saw. 'S what they're for innit.

When they can do that properly, teach them how to use a splitter wedge and a sledge hammer.

When they can mend the sledge hammers they have broken, teach them how to earn enough money to put themselves on a chainsaw course and a first aid course.

When she's got that far, you'll never want for firewood again.

If you can't hold the wood steady hand saws are a nightmare. They pull and push the wood around and jam up in the cut. I'd still make a jig, perhaps two rails and a ratchet strap to hold logs still on a bench while cutting with a chainsaw. Otherwise split them first then run them through a band or table saw.

• Like 1