Easiest way to chop logs

Adsibob

I have a very large pile of logs, that were cut from a felled 20m high leyland Cyprus tree. The guy who cut them left them 40cm plus long. Far too big for my log burner. They have been seasoning for about a year, but would benefit from being split. Some of them have a 30cm diameter. 

I have a 900g head axe, but it is too small to chop such large logs. I think if I first cut them into shorter 20cm lengths, the axe could manage to split those. What type of power tool is best for that? Chainsaw? Angle grinder? Something else. Rather not have to use a chainsaw, as I find them a bit scary.

If 40cm is too long I'd make a jig to allow one end to be strapped down with the other overhanging the end of a bench and use a chainsaw to cut them in half. 

7 minutes ago, pocster said:

Must admit I’m fine with any tool ( no jokes ) but a chainsaw just …. you know feels a bit “ I’m going to lose my arm “ ….

I worry more about my angle grinder, particularly with a cutting blade.

10 minutes ago, Temp said:

See I’m ok with that . Big (expletive deleted)er , diamond disc , dust everywhere, can’t see a think - it’s all good 

if you dont use a chainsaw then hire a log splitter would be the best option depending on size of pile!, cutting 40cm down to 20cm would be a faff on a saw horse, not an awful amount of meat to secure to, and weight/balance issue maybe when trying to pivot the blade through the log...  Me:  i'd do it on the floor with a chainsaw, cut 3/4 the way through then roll it forwards or back and nip through the rest, not the safest way - but works for me.

27 minutes ago, Temp said:

I nearly lost my thumb with an angie grinder and carving blade but managed to avoid injury with a chainsaw, I think because chainsaws are recognised as being dangerous people treat them with more respect 

49 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

aren't they the really sappy b*ggers that aren't recommended in a stove?

They are certainly not my choice of firewood, but I have it for free, and if seasoned long enough will be fine. I will burn it, mixed with some applewood that I also have (for free).

The hydraulic ones are DIYable. Scarier than a chainsaw though. Random example:https://youtu.be/r5zYdxFv9iI?t=594 

I have one of the dinky electric chainsaws - cut down a small peach tree with it today (the last owners had planted it far too close to the foundations, in clay soil 😞). Honestly perfectly safe if you're not being stupid, but I did have some trepidation the first few times.

44 minutes ago, joe90 said:

I nearly lost my thumb with an angie grinder and carving blade but managed to avoid injury with a chainsaw, I think because chainsaws are recognised as being dangerous people treat them with more respect 

The big problem with angle grinders, particularly big ones, is the big kick they give at start up.  Why oh why they don't have a soft start to wind them up slowly and avoid that big kick beats me (perhaps new ones do, mine are quite old)

No chainsaw I have had has such a kick.  I did find my old McCulloch chainsaw pretty dangerous because it's throttle mechanism was lousy and more often than not it would not return to a slow idle so if you wanted to put it down, the chain was still running.  My new Titan one from Screweys is very much better and this much safer to use.

To cut 40cm logs in half you will need a saw horse and you will need to cut about 3/4 of the way from the top and the last 1/4 from below, or better still, put the saw down, rotate the log 180 degrees and cut the remainder from the top.

17 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The big problem with angle grinders, particularly big ones, is the big kick they give at start up.

I agree (but both my 4” and 9” have soft start.) but my old 9” had a hell of a kick.

Edited by joe90

10 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Or a disc with chain saw teeth.

That’s what nearly removed my thumb (my fault, the cable was around my wrist when I went to put it down and the blade still turning 🤯) lesson learnt, wait till the blade stops before trying to put it down.

Avoid.

Chains on chainsaws. Electric ones pretty benign.

Chains, flails, cutting teeth etc on angle grinders are inviting injury.

Soft start unnecessary on grinders. If you haven't the muscle / posture / anticipation to hold the thing at startup (without a soft start) then you haven't the muscle / posture / anticipation to catch the thing when it snags. So shouldn't be using it IMO.

Stick to battery electric 4.5" grinders with lightweight blades that can't snatch badly.

• Like 1