Anyone successfully use chains to create a rainwater down pipe?

We have planned to use chains as a decorative way of transmitting rainwater down from the gutter to the ground (about 2.3m). However, saw this somewhere else, and it failed horribly. Have a look at the video:

Mentioned this to the designer, who said several chains will work better than one, and the trick is to fill the hole with the chains as much as possible. Our hole has a diameter of 52mm, so wondering which chain size to get and how many lengths of chain to try and implement.

Anyone have experience of this?

Edited by Adsibob

I am going to try this on my balcony.

Rather than use a standard outlet, I am just going to use a single chain, and just drill a hole in the bottom of the gutter such that the chain is a very tight fit into it, and secure it with one link on it's side and probably a shackle as well to be sure it won't drop out.

Just now, ProDave said:

Rather than use a standard outlet, I am just going to use a single chain, and just drill a hole in the bottom of the gutter such that the chain is a very tight fit into it, and secure it with one link on it's side and probably a shackle as well to be sure it won't drop out.

first bbq guaranteed someone will try and swing on it.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What dimension chain/hole will you use?

It does work as long as sometimes splashing isn't going to be a problem.

It avoids a big  dogleg in the rwp if there is an oversailing roof.

But it realy does need bigger gutters and/ or redundancy and/ or big overflow wiers out of harms way.

Another place to see it is at the executive bypass of the Black Country, Hilton Park Services.

Most recent one I saw on Gardeners world/Malvern show + IRL visiting - it wasn't working well - just looked messy?

Skip to 20:43 https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001ltth/gardeners-world-2023-episode-9

Looks like too much flow over the top or might need the chain to come out of a hole on the bottom of the gutter rather than over the edge?

Screenshot 2023-05-17 at 06.51.14.jpg

I had an agricultural building with a ‘porch’ that had this, chains are  now in the metal skip.

Plan for a better solution than a chain, water ingress isn’t something I wish to deal with 

15 hours ago, Adsibob said:

Anyone have experience of this?

A friend of ours used chains for roof drainage on their new build. I wasn't a success when it was windy as the water went everywhere. It only worked well in light rain and no wind.

I built one in as a feature for when I was topping up my water feature. It was fed by the mains and I had a stainless steel chain running down the centre. It looked great but I had the advantage of being in control of the water flow. It was very sensitive. 😀

F32B47BE-F178-4F49-8082-ABFD7C0625B1.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, saveasteading said:

I gave a heart for the photo. Then thought "mains water"?

So the chain feature only runs when topping up the water feature? 

Yep my rain water wouldn't run uphill and it was just a feature and also a means of topping up the water feature when it was required.