Outdoor furniture- what you got?

We've recently transitioned  (ooops sorry) from splinter-in-yer-arse-pallette-knock-togethers  to hand-me-downs from our daughter for nothing.

It looks shite, it is shite, the chickens poo on it (two are sunbathing on it currently - ermmmm, three now) , the sheepdog hoovers  up all leftovers and you can spill any amount of red wine on it with impunity.   Top stuff. Cost? Nothing.

Too embarrassed to post a photo. 

• Like 1

Crap, thin walled steel box section stuff here. Powder coated so the water gets under it and rusts let alone inside the box sections. Give it a few years and it pisses rusty water when you move it.

I'd go for heavy, cast aluminium if money were no object. 

9 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

hand-me-downs

We've got those for our caravan...look fine to me! 

9 hours ago, Onoff said:

I'd go for heavy, cast aluminium if money were no object

That's good advice and also what we are currently looking at. Not rusting is right up there on the list! 

20230420_181932.jpg

16 minutes ago, SuperJohnG said:

We've got those for our caravan...look fine to me! 

That's good advice and also what we are currently looking at. Not rusting is right up there on the list! 

20230420_181932.jpg

I swear we have the same (or very similar) wooden chairs and a table.  Kept under cover over winter and re treated each year they should last a long time.

2 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Still sewage issues down there then?

Oh yes.

Yesterday I went to St. Ives.  Dog shit covered streets, never seen it quite as bad.

Still, the next spring tide will wash it onto the beach, will be indistinguishable from the human shit.

• 1 month later...

We went in to various garden / home type places looking at rattan sofa/dining sets. Nothing below about £2.5k. and it all looked ropey. We got a set of exactly the same kind of stuff online from Fimious for £800... Table, two sofas, two chairs. Indistinguishable from the £2.5k. still crap, but at least when my arse goes through it in a year's time it wasn't £2.5k

Edited by Conor
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Conor said:

We went in to various garden / home type places looking at rattan sofa/dining sets. Nothing below about £2.5k. and it all looked ropey. We got a set of exactly the same kind of stuff online from Fimious for £800... Table, two sofas, two chairs. Indistinguishable from the £2.5k. still crap, but at least when my arse goes through it in a year's time it wasn't £2.5k

@Conor Is it comfy to sit on? London friends have the £2.5k stuff and it is comfy; I don't want to spend that but do want something I'd choose to sit on.

I like our current flexible woven seats on a metal frame, but apparently they look "awful"

Just now, Sparrowhawk said:

@Conor Is it comfy to sit on? London friends have the £2.5k stuff and it is comfy; I don't want to spend that but do want something I'd choose to sit on.

I like our current flexible woven seats on a metal frame, but apparently they look "awful"

It is. The cushions are a little on the soft side and the seat depth is a little lacking, bit of an issue if you are on the taller side. Overall, you get an awful lot for your money, and I can't tell the difference between it and the expensive stuff. I still think the rattan will tare, rip, frame will rust etc. But as I said, I think that happens to all of that kind of furniture.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

We all get a bit startled by the initial price of furniture, don't we?

This year, I treated myself to a 6-seater round dining set from gardencentreshopping.co.uk. The discounted price is £1,139.
It may seem steep, I agree, but this is the kind of furniture that lasts for years.

So, I divide the cost by the number of years, and it turns out to be quite reasonable.
Let's say this furniture lasts for 5 years (though I'm confident it will last longer), then the annual cost would be £230.

This way it doesn't seem as expensive after all, when you consider all the happy moments that you'll have when being outside with the family.

• Like 1