Is it worth insulating a bathtub?

revelation

We have a lot of expanding spray foam left over from our project.  We at installing a steel Bette bathtub, and in thinking of ways to use up our foam I thought it may be worth spraying the entire underside of the tub to help keep the water warmer for longer.

Any thoughts on this? Would it be worthwhile? Or make such little difference that it is not worthwhile?

Thanks in advance. 

7 hours ago, revelation said:

Is this something you have done?   How much would it help by do you think?

Nope and no idea. You could experiment with a metal cooking dish. Fill with hot water and measure the temp every five minutes over an hour. Then do the same after adding a layer of foam to the bottom of it. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

Mine is a semi sunken bath, floor of bath level with bathroom floor, set in a marine ply surround.

20161106_203628

SAM_2192

I insulated the two "outer" walls. 

20161212_203148

Best way to keep your bath warm is finish the (expletive deleted)ing ufh 😎

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Adrian Walker said:

Top tip.  When you have finished using the bath, don't empty it until the water until it has cooled to room temperature.  

Great minds ... Jan thinks I am mad, but tolerates this one.

We use maybe 100ltr in a typical bath and maybe 120 lr in a full one, but let's stick with the 100 figure.  We have our baths reasonable hot, let's say 45°C; our rising main is currently at 7°C and bathroom ambient at 21°C so the Δt riser -> bath is 38°C and ambient -> bath 14 °C. By letting the bath cool to ambient we lose roughly 37% heat to the drain and 63% to space heating.  The specific heat of water is ~ 4.2 kJ/kg/K so cranking the numbers, we have 4.2×100×24/3600 kWh = 2.8 kWh going into space heating and 1.6 kWh going down the plug hole.

In our case we have a low energy house with electric resistive heating and 2.8 kWh is a non-trivial % of the daily heating requirement so this is definitely worth doing.  Incidentally:

• We have SunAmps heated overnight for storage so this bath costs about 80p on our tariff of which 50p is offset against space heating, so the effective cost is 30p (plus the 0.1m³ water).
  • We have a double bath and use this feature (though usually serially these days 😉) so the cost per person is 15p.
  • We have softened water, so bathing generates very little scum and the bath is easy to wipe clean, even if the water is at room temp.
Edited by TerryE
  • Thanks 1

I would not use foam. I have used mineral wool. Without fluffy, when the bath is full of hot water, the air underneath warms up, so I believe it keeps the bath warmer longer. That and making sure the space under the bath is airtight.  

M