How do I dispose of a worn out pruning saw?

I am thinking that wrap up in newspaper or cardboard and put in the general waste may be the way, but it has an 18" blade and could still do damage. 

Is it one for the Council Tip as a "separate"?

Cheers 

Edited by Ferdinand

21 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Ok I will add one. 

How do I get rid of 70m of loft insulation the old itchy type stuff. 

Can you recycle (am I right you are renovating not building)?

I used my current lot to insulate under a suspended wooden floor in the same house using a staple gun (need good ventilation underneath), and for sound insulation inside stud walls - between rooms and against the neighbours. I used the previous lot to insulate the roof of a conservatory which was being turned into a garden room.

If I was taking it to the tip I would borrow a box trailer, and not let it near the car.

Ferdinand

Edited by Ferdinand

15 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

Ok I will add one. 

How do I get rid of 70m of loft insulation the old itchy type stuff. 

When we stripped the old house before demolition I had loads of it to get rid of. 

The only choice I had was a skip :( 

Even chucking rubble in the top of it didn't compress it much. 

Waste PU from the Durisol blocks. I'm chipping the wood bit: makes a beautiful surface - you can walk barefoot on it - messy, but comfortable.5947aeda6d36f_20170619_113458(1).thumb.jpg.e60b4fcad1b89fceaea32f51a7cc0a64.jpg

I could chip that too, I suppose..... but how would anyone use the resultant chipped PU? Anyway, I intend to bag it for a while until inspiration dawns.

If you're not a regular visitor, your local LA recycling centre (AKA 'The Tip') can be the most efficient way to dispose of unwanted materials. 

Ours is free to residents (you need ID) and will take wood, card, green waste, plasterboard, glass (bottles), books, batteries, paint, oil, rubble, metal, domestic electrics, white goods, etc, all in dedicated 40cu skips (the type you need steps alongside. They then have a few 'bulk waste' skips for anything else.

Pretty much unlimited visits allowed - currently I'm there a couple of times a day as we clear the garden and dispose of leftover build material that I was hoarding.

If you have a decent sized car (estate or trailer) then you're saving the cost of a skip - and they claim to recycle up to 80% of what they receive.

Up to last year I lived in Cheshire, their disposal sites had AMPR cameras fitted, I got pull up one day and told I'd  been too many times and not to come back for at least two weeks. Luckily I was nay four miles from another site in another county, so went there instead.

32 minutes ago, Triassic said:

Up to last year I lived in Cheshire, their disposal sites had AMPR cameras fitted, I got pull up one day and told I'd  been too many times and not to come back for at least two weeks. Luckily I was nay four miles from another site in another county, so went there instead.

I'm pretty sure I've related this tale before, but I got caught the same way, via ANPR.  The snag is that it's a permanent ban, and because I've got a personal plate the ban remained in force when I changed cars.

The only way around it for me has been to drive over the border and use a recycling centre in Dorset.  That gets around the problem, but isn't really fair, as I pay Council Tax to Wiltshire..............

1 hour ago, JSHarris said:

I'm pretty sure I've related this tale before, but I got caught the same way, via ANPR.  The snag is that it's a permanent ban, and because I've got a personal plate the ban remained in force when I changed cars.

The only way around it for me has been to drive over the border and use a recycling centre in Dorset.  That gets around the problem, but isn't really fair, as I pay Council Tax to Wiltshire..............

Sorry to hear that Jeremy. 

I am quite surprised that a permanent ban is within Council powers to implement, since you are patently entitled to the service as a Council Tax paying resident.

But even if they can't do it, it becomes one of those unlawful acts by a local council which is extremely difficult to challenge.

6 hours ago, Triassic said:

Our local centre is the same. Plus they now charge for a lot of stuff and it's seriously expensive:

https://new.devon.gov.uk/wasteandrecycling/recycling-centres/chargeable-waste/

It effectively has rendered them useless for all DIY type waste.

1 hour ago, Barney12 said:

Our local centre is the same. Plus they now charge for allot of stuff and its seriously expensive:

https://new.devon.gov.uk/wasteandrecycling/recycling-centres/chargeable-waste/

It effectively has rendered them useless for all DIY type waste.

Would love to know what they spend clearing up fly tipping of the same waste.

16 minutes ago, Bitpipe said:

Would love to know what they spend clearing up fly tipping of the same waste.

Funny you should mention that. Fly tipping in Devon has grown rapidly.

DCC claim that the cost of this clear up (when they finally do clear it up!) is less than the cost of maintaining a free service at recycling centres.

Bonkers.

57 minutes ago, ProDave said:

The bottom half of the fortnightly wheelie bin is good for "stuff" and then the normal rubbish on top hides anything :ph34r:  I only take big stuff to the tip that's too big for the bin.

I used to do that, had a few bin loads rejected though when I got a bit over keen and it was obviously too heavy.

I've been getting away with sticking a rubble bag or two of waste in our wheelie bins every other week.  As long as I don't overdo it things are OK. I thought I'd get caught out yesterday, as there were two rubble bags packed with short bamboo flooring offcuts, covered with ordinary refuse, all within a wheelie bin bag that had the top tied up.  It wasn't till I went to wheel the bin down the drive that I realised just how heavy it was..................

11 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

aren't short pieces of flooring also called firewood?

Not bamboo, it spits and explodes violently, according to our neighbour who tried to burn some.  I think it's something to do with the way it's manufactured, by pressing strips of bamboo together under high pressure, with some sort of resin to bond it all together.  It may also have something to do with the resin coating that seals the stuff.  Either way, it's probably not a good idea to burn it.

All our offcuts of softwood, like the larch cladding, plus the offcuts of oak from the interior joinery, were given away to a neighbour as firewood.  I reckon he had around 4 or 5 wheelbarrow loads of the stuff all told.

Edited by JSHarris

Our local recycling centre is great, I've got rid of all of our build waste there so far. As long as you play by the re-cycling rules, they don't seem to mind how often you visit, but then I think the council is just grateful you haven't fly-tipped.  As for the pruning saw, that would go in the metal skip!

4 hours ago, dpmiller said:

aren't short pieces of flooring also called firewood?

Depending on the flooring there could be glue and all kind of nasties in it.

If your stove has filters or catalytic converters in it that could do it some mischief, apart from potentially burning far too hot and damaging the stove.

Back in the day we cracked a Jotul by burning stacks of plywood in it for years. That is in addition to setting fire to the wooden beam that the Jacobeans had thoughtfully built through the chimney...

Ferdinand

I've got a complete asbestos roof on the stable that's leaking, covered in moss and I guess breaking down of its own accord! :(

Was a time at our local tip there was a big skip to put it in and you could take a trailer. Now its:

No more than 5 sacks/sheets (or equivalent) per month.

The asbestos must be:

• double bagged or wrapped in heavy duty plastic sheeting
  • not sticking out from the packaging
  • no more than 10 feet (3 metres) x 5 feet (1.5 metres)
  • kept damp

Wear protective gloves and a face mask and do not break or cut it.

Doable over time but I'd have to store the bulk in the garden and do it over months. Lucky I've the space!

Still, me rebuilding the stable, like that's going to happen in a hurry! :)

Edited by Onoff

That reminds me of the argument my BIL had at the tip.

The garden waste skip had a sign saying "1 vehicle, 1 bag" So when he dragged the 1 ton builders bag out of the back of his Landy and proceeded to empty it into the skip the guy came storming over but my BIL stood his ground insisting he did only have 1 bag of garden waste in his vehicle.