21 minutes ago, ProDave said:

That reminds me of the argument my BIL had at the tip.

The garden waste skip had a sign saying "1 vehicle, 1 bag" So when he dragged the 1 ton builders bag out of the back of his Landy and proceeded to empty it into the skip the guy came storming over but my BIL stood his ground insisting he did only have 1 bag of garden waste in his vehicle.

So if you look now at most "recycling" centres they are separating waste so the minimum of it goes into the landfill skip. The key reason is they make money out of it ..! Waste is big business and they are now selling your rubbish for cash - most councils will not release the details of their recycling contracts as they are commercially sensitive. 

The classic example is milk bottle container lids. A lot of councils will not take them (the blue/red/green caps) as they say they "aren't recyclable"... they are LDPE and marked as such ...! Same as the bottles they come off ..!! Reason for not wanting them is colour - clear, white and off white LDPE gets a much higher price than dark colours as it can go into more products as regrind. You are effectively doing their sorting to make money for them ... unpaid ..!

Go to our tip and anything that looks half reasonable gets "put to one side" with a helpful "Ere, I'll take that for you mate!" ;)

Behind the metal bin is a bench with a vice on it even.

Taking a load of scrap metal down there which included quite a lot of 3, 4 & 5 core rubber flex and I was directed to put the cable in an out of the way, unmarked skip behind the huge metal bin.

When I lived in oz (yawn). You could go to the tip as much as you like but there was a standing charge of $12, I would happily pay a tenner to get rid of a boot full of crap, I wonder if it has been thought of. 

There were here a lot of revenue gathering measures over here that the government seems to have missed. 

11 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

... I would happily pay a tenner to get rid of a boot full of crap, I wonder if it has been thought of. 

I was amazed when I arrived in the UK and found that it was free to go to the tip. If they kept the price really low - 2 or 3 quid a visit, say - people wouldn't query the cost, and it would be low enough that few people would fly tip. Where I go, that would cover at least the staff costs over the course of a weekend day.

A lot of people where I am have woodburners.

We frequently see garden clearance type stuff fly tipped in the lay bys down here. It always amazes me the amount of timber dumped. Often loads of old, well seasoned fence panels. The other day somebody had been through one of the roadside piles and taken all the wood! :)

58 minutes ago, Russell griffiths said:

When I lived in oz (yawn). You could go to the tip as much as you like but there was a standing charge of $12, I would happily pay a tenner to get rid of a boot full of crap, I wonder if it has been thought of. 

There were here a lot of revenue gathering measures over here that the government seems to have missed. 

Free in qld on Gold Coast although they were using a rego scanning database about 20 yrs ago. 

Did you not like oz with the yawn?!