My self-build DIY plumbing

Thorfun

2 hours ago, Thorfun said:

Are single jointed push fit connectors ok to fit upside down?

Well I wouldn't, just because if there was a fault with the seal there's more likelyhood of a leak. I always think of things like that though and I don't know how often it would ever happen.

28 minutes ago, Gone West said:

Well I wouldn't, just because if there was a fault with the seal there's more likelyhood of a leak. I always think of things like that though and I don't know how often it would ever happen.

so I've done as you suggested and kept the 'Floplast' writing and logo the right way up but I'm still at a bit of a loss as to how it makes a difference? as you have double jointed sockets that have rubber seals at both ends so have to be able to have a rubber gasket at the bottom in some situations. so how is the double socket different to the single socket? do they put the rubber in facing the other way round? it doesn't look like it and it doesn't make sense!

• Like 1

first bit of soil pipe done today. managed to join it up with our tile vent so I guess I now have an SVP. 🙂 

IMG_4355.jpeg.bab5a949cf1033446a0b87877b1d7ed0.jpeg

IMG_4353.jpeg.37dec937c5cafb1a291944ee23452fa4.jpeg

IMG_4352.jpeg.f886410b510d4749ffe035baeb676805.jpeg

above is the branch for our en-suite toilet. measured at 230mm center from FFL which seems to be standard-ish. it's only about 400mm from where the toilet will be so there shouldn't be any major dramas if I'm a little out I hope!

this then goes down through a service void where the ******* MVHR pipes/ducts are. damn they are annoyingly always in the way. I think I'd have finished hours ago if I didn't have to take 3 MVHR pipes off a manifold to move them out of the way to get the soil pipe through. anyway, it's done now and I'm happy with it so far.

IMG_4362.jpeg.3ad6c7f3689799e5859fc11c9b02b09c.jpeg

IMG_4365.jpeg.ae6c1e4cfbbc17f50e6106d21a49f3db.jpeg

MVHR pipes getting in the way of the boss fitting I installed. I was hoping to get to use 2 of the bosses but can only get to one of them now. will just have to run the shower, bath and sinks into the same waste pipe into the single boss hole.

IMG_4361.jpeg.6bc0aac0bfb46738b54b56a7e5a60507.jpeg

will try and find a turd to throw down to test it.

• Like 1

Stick a hose pipe in one end to test .

Also ( funds permitting) you could use a geberit toilet frame ( height adjustable ! ) if you really struggle to line things up ( assuming you’ve not already bought a floor standing pan ) .

I’m waiting to see your hep20 mess 😁👍👍

Just now, pocster said:

Stick a hose pipe in one end to test .

yeah, much better idea that chucking a turd down it. 

1 minute ago, pocster said:

Also ( funds permitting) you could use a geberit toilet frame ( height adjustable ! ) if you really struggle to line things up ( assuming you’ve not already bought a floor standing pan ) .

already planning a UP320 for each en-suite. have done much reading on this forum and that definitely seems to be the one to go for.

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

I’m waiting to see your hep20 mess 😁👍👍

me too!

• Like 1

The geberit frames are ace . You’ll see something on them and think “ what’s that for ? “ . Days later when fitting it you’ll go “ ahhhhhh , now I see “ .

I’ve done 2 - no issues - you’ll be fine .

You’re getting there don’t sweat it . Anyone can do plumbing it ain’t rocket science ( waits for abuse from plumbers ) 😁

• Haha 1

Anyone can do plumbing it ain’t rocket science ( waits for abuse from plumbers ) 😁

I'm still waiting for @Nickfromwales to get here. he said he was walking and left last week. I'm getting a bit worried he might've got lost and I've now eaten all the cake so he'll be disappointed when he does finally arrive.

• Sad 1

5 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

@pocster where did you get these soil pipe hangers that I saw in your bathroom thread? 

B45BF563-52AE-4813-A7C0-86C3DD4799E3.jpeg.ea7e66b838c79aa3a566d2f4c5599232.jpeg.01c9d5794d9ab8adf75c9e40546d6635.jpeg

I'm going to need some of those. also how long is the thread as mine will need to hang down quite a long way in some places I think?

They are ok . But as you said thread length can be an issue . I also used metal strapping .

Cant remember where I got my hangers but just looked Screwfix - do them 👍

Edited by pocster
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Thorfun said:

first bit of soil pipe done today. managed to join it up with our tile vent so I guess I now have an SVP. 🙂 

IMG_4355.jpeg.bab5a949cf1033446a0b87877b1d7ed0.jpeg

Is that a camera angle thing or is there a bit of "downhill" pipe?

If so you have created a trap that could fill with condensation or leakage from the roof vent over time.

• Thanks 1

Just now, Thorfun said:

I'm still waiting for @Nickfromwales to get here. he said he was walking and left last week. I'm getting a bit worried he might've got lost and I've now eaten all the cake so he'll be disappointed when he does finally arrive.

You don’t need him . He’s busy installing PV - you got me !!! 😋

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Cant remember where I hit my hangers but just looked Screwfix - do them

I must be losing it as I can't find them on SF! what should I be searching for? 'soil pipe hangers' doesn't find them.

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Is that a camera angle thing or is there a bit of "downhill" pipe?

If so you have created a trap that could fill with condensation or leakage from the roof vent over time.

I'm glad you're here Dave! it is downhill but I didn't think it'd matter as it's just a vent pipe! didn't even think about condensation of leakage. I will fix that tomorrow. THANK YOU!!

• Like 1