Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

One thing to consider is IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol) which @JSHarris swears by as do I for cleaning up most things. 

Solvent weld has enough MEK in it to clean the joint anyway - make sure you make the joint up properly as a dry joint, mark the joint for depth and rotation with a sharpie and make sure when you glue it up you give all the joints a good twist. 

Good idea. Silicone is the anti-Christ when your looking to glue or paint something. 

I worked in an autobody repair shop for 2 years, prepping and priming damaged cars. I also got given the splenderific task of sanding out and machine polishing ( mopping ) any evidence of 'fish eyes' ( where silicone had somehow got into the booth from the valeting bay next door and caused the paint to react / not adhere properly ) which was a soul destroying job on a good day. Even worse when it's outside. Oh and don't keep the mop still on a freshly painted, plastic, Rover 216 door handle either :D Oops. Another day I was working for free :|

Don't know what all the fuss was about ;):

Mitre block wedged on for a nice straight cut:

20170225_110344

Can now cut the sole plate on the RHS. Decided to enlarge both cut outs so the frame can drop down OR slide in. Bung in, MUSTN'T forget to take that out:

20170225_112710

20170225_120032

20170225_120054

Holes marked. Will Fisher resin st/st studs in as close to the edge/the concrete falls away a bit:

20170225_121249

Seems like Maplin do IPA, 'kin pricey!  (or £15/L tin)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/isopropyl-alcohol-400ml-re79l

Edited by Onoff
Double pic

Un autre faux pas! :(

To supply the Geberit cistern I was planning on reutilusing the 15mm copper coming up from the old stop cock position that was where the mains water used to come in. Would have been a doddle to just cut it back & put an elbow on ( behind the screw store):

2017-02-25_03-38-16

BUT....Sod's Law.....the long M10 studs I've used to attach the timber studs to the wall line up smack bang with the cistern fitting:

20170225_142226

20170225_142259

Edited by Onoff

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

Seems like Maplin do IPA, 'kin pricey!  (or £15/L tin)

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/isopropyl-alcohol-400ml-re79l

I've pretty much settled on buying most solvents I need from these people, online:  https://apcpure.com/

They deliver quickly, and have a reasonable range.  IPA is around £17 for 5 litres, plus they stock other useful stuff, like toluene (probably the very best solvent going for dissolving a very wide range of stuff) and acetone.

Edited by JSHarris

58 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Un autre faux pas! :(

To supply the Geberit cistern I was planning on reutilusing the 15mm copper coming up from the old stop cock position that was where the mains water used to come in. Would have been a doddle to just cut it back & put an elbow on ( behind the screw store):

2017-02-25_03-38-16

BUT....Sod's Law.....the long M10 studs I've used to attach the timber studs to the wall line up smack bang with the cistern fitting:

20170225_142226

20170225_142259

Drill at an angle with a 35mm bit and a flexi will go in there without re-writing the book. 

Bets are on that your already re-writing it as I type ?

25 minutes ago, bassanclan said:

ebay is the place for your IPA unless you find somewhere locally.

The only trouble with ebay is that you have to wait for it to be delivered, but this is not a rush job anyway!

Interestingly, ebay is how I found APC Pure!  I ordered some stuff (may have been methanol, or maybe toluene) from ebay and it came from APC Pure, so I found their web site and found I could buy direct, with a lower overall delivery cost if I bought a few 5 litre containers of stuff at the same time.

1 hour ago, Onoff said:

That stud beside the Gerberrit must be about 50×180 in cross section.  What are you planning to have sitting on your loo, an elephant?   It looks like you've got room to glue and screw a bit of 50×100 or the like down the back and onto it, then put your bolt mount on that.

An angle-grind off the excess bolt sticking through the wall.  It ain't doing anything apart from get in the way.

34 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Drill at an angle with a 35mm bit and a flexi will go in there without re-writing the book. 

Bets are on that your already re-writing it as I type ?

Ta. What connection is that on the side, 1/2" BSP?

12 minutes ago, JSHarris said:

I reckon you need to go and buy a lottery ticket, right now!

I mean, what are the odds that the stud would end up smack bang in the centre of that inlet hole?

That'll teach me to make it up as I go along! :)

Doesn't help that the stub wall comes off two studs bolted the same way. I've got 4 M10 studs on that line!

20161204_184957

Edited by Onoff

Clive, the bolt hole on the wall mount is offset for a reason.  You don't have to fit it horizontal +/- ½°.  If you do as I suggested and put in a wood packer glued to the upright, then it will be easily strong enough to take the bolt.  You must have somewhere on that 6cm dia circle where you can put the bolt in.  I really can't see the issue.  

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Can you not just chop the stud off and put it in 50mm lower. 

The Geberit frame sits where the hoover is in the pic below studs 500mm face to face. The stub wall is 145mm wide and comes off the two close together studs. The 15mm pipe I can reutiluse is far left. Would have been nice to just run a horizontal pipe with no dog legs etc straight to the cistern but it'd mean passing through or moving 4 M10 studs.

SAM_2615

Clive, sorry I missed the point here.  you are worried about the filler feed.  Its got to come in somehow.  On the Gerberit you can come in from the back or the sides -- or even the top if you want,

3 hours ago, Onoff said:

but it'd mean passing through or moving 4 M10 studs.

So what wrong with this? Hep2O works wonders.

6 minutes ago, TerryE said:

Clive, sorry I missed the point here.  you are worried about the filler feed.  Its got to come in somehow.  On the Gerberit you can come in from the back or the sides -- or even the top if you want,

So what wrong with this? Hep2O works wonders.

This is an older UP200 cistern. Only has a feed position where fitted.

I can get a pipe between the gap and wall:

SAM_5049

SAM_5049

Erm.....what's wrong with what? Guessing a missing Hep2O link?

54 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Erm.....what's wrong with what? Guessing a missing Hep2O link?

Clive, What I see in your photo is a flexible connector terminating in a ½" BSP male.  Why does the male end of the flexible connector need to come out in some totally inaccessible location?

As to where the "Hep2O link" is, I only suggested Hep2O because you were talking about going through a set of holes in studding, and a flexible piping like Hep2O makes a doddle of this, and try this or this, or lots of other options which simply involve taking the connector out some other route.:)