Bath Surround / Boxing In, and concealed pipework

On 23/01/2017 at 07:25, Nickfromwales said:

That isn't cheating that's a good way out. :)

FYI if your ever half inch short , a straight coupler and an M&F 90 into that will gain you the missing length. 

Good to know. Do they do a similar m/f straight coupler out of interest?

That would have put 3 soldered joints there instead of 2 though.....trying to keep the number of joints down as I'm never 100% confident of my soldering even though by ex BG fitter Dad had me doing it since little. Much happier bending tube the. Maybe I'm over thinking things! :)

I wasn't sure whether to run the bath cold direct off the mains? Off the cws at the mo but that affects the upstairs en suite that shares it. Will fix that shortly as I want mains drinking in the en suite. Might as well run the en suite wc off mains too if doing that.

23 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

Set it up for now with the bath being the only thing that uses tank fed cold if possible. ? 

If that's ok I'll continue to add to this accordingly. ?

Yep, gonna feed the en suite basin and wc off the mains:

Sam_4934_1

Sam_4935_1

Sam_4937_1

Makes yours look like a palace @daiking ! :)

Bored with baths (working btw) & lofts xD and as I dug the Geberit wc frame out to have a look ref extraction possibilities I figured I might have a crack at doing something with it!

So the instructions say there's 200mm leeway in height at the base where to fit it:

geb_003

The thing is my "wall" is in fact a stud wall effectively screwed to the ceiling joists and the wall but there's a nom 35mm gap between the sole plate and concrete floor:

SAM_4939

SAM_4941

I can't see why I can't then mount the frame on top of the sole plate rather than hacking a 500mm section out and bolting the frame to the floor. I could pack under the sole plate with timber and bolt through to the concrete using resin to affix (it'll be clear of the UFH):

SAM_4947

Obviously I'll need to shorten the soil pipe!

SAM_4942

Temporarily I covered the end of the soil pipe with bubble wrap then a couple of duct taped Sainsburys bags but tbh there's still a whiff of eau de toilette coming through as it's connected outside to the stack:

SAM_4279

When I shorten it is there any temporary "bung" I can push in and inflate whilst I'm down on my knees working around it to stop the smell? Balloon, condom?

Cheers

Edited by Onoff

41 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

Cheers. I wanted something ideally could insert, expand and leave in there, maybe "popping" it later from the outside branch access. I don't do well with the smell of doodoo! :)

Got all the bits out of the Geberit box today to familiarise myself with what's what never having fitted a wall mount wc before.

1) First problem:

The instructions say the distance between the centre line of the soil pipe and front of the frame should be 90-120mm on the minimum position:

geb_008b

In my case I have 55mm from the face of the stud work to the centre line of the soil pipe. The outside face of the soil is dead flush with the face of the studs:

20170128_162929

It's going to make it tricky to attach the black Geberit connector as the two pipes are offset:

20170128_163003

I'm guessing I need to either make the join with 15deg / 30deg bends and couplers or use one of these two. I seem to recall @Nickfromwales saying he had to use a flexible connector on something similar but maybe wasn't overly happy doing so?

sp106

or

adj_bend

???

2) Then the cold feed to the cistern, the instructions show this:

geb_008a

But I've got no fitting that looks remotely like the bit they're wrapping the PTFE round in the above diagram. All I have is this braided hose that actually doesn't quite reach the hole in the cistern:

2017-01-28_04-58-44

2017-01-28_05-05-44

I'm assuming I'm missing a fitting?

3) Lastly, pan height. I've measured the two working pans in the the house and from finished floor to top of porcelain is 390mm on one and 400mm on the other. I presume that before I fit this frame I actually need the wall hung wc?

Cheers

EDIT: I reckon it's this I'm short of:

http://www.bathroomspareparts.co.uk/angle-stop-valve-for-geberit-sigma-and-kappa-concealed-cistern-12-cm-up320-and-15-cm-up200----240269001-28790-p.asp

Edited by Onoff

47 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

wouldnt you need to add the depth of the wall surface to your 55mm ?  ( ie, the ply/osb & plasterboard, tiles etc ) wouldnt that get you to 90mm ?

Don't think so, the 90mm minimum is from the face of the studwork which is the same line as the face of the frame / elbow. The frame can't come out any further than the face of the stud.

Planning on just putting 12.5mm moisture resistant plasterboard on the face of the studs then tiles.

Actually it's a possibility but it might encroach on the wet room corner.

SAM_4286

To square the room off the stud in the corner where the soil exits is 95mm with minimal packing behind. Again it's level with the face of the soil. The studs increase in depth to I think 145mm at the left hand and with packs behind. In effect it's a stud wall screwed to ceiling and wall but not the floor.

Does have a wall making a cupboard that provides extra support:

20161204_184957

Edited by Onoff

The missing part you liked IS the one your missing ;)

The last one I did was offset with iirc a pair of single socket 45's, but 15's or 30's would do the same thing as its down to how much offset you require. 

You should be able to get the offset with one double socket fitting and one single socket fitting inserted into each other ( M&F ), or a pair of singles. Bit hard to say without being there holding a cold beer and pointing at it repeatedly. :|

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Oh, and I'd 100% be getting those feet down onto the slab for sure. ;)

Edited to add : don't chew the 500mm out, just multi-tool out where each foot is ;)

Bingo. 

I could have sworn I just posted saying that was my exact plan.....must be the Hobgoblin clouding things! 

That Gower Porter and the IPA look good. 

Thinking I should have stuck with Plan A and affixed to the sole plate. I could have bolted through rather than screwed.  Only thinking that as it dawned on me as I was taking the section out that the slab tapers off there a bit. Won't be much edge distance. I'm going to bolt the frame to the studs at the side too.

2017-01-29_12-43-11

Had a bit of a "back up" the other night.  Down the man hole with a spade to break off a frozen mass of wet wipes and the brown stuff, rods too! The Sainsburys bag must have a pin hole in it - bit of a stain.

8 minutes ago, Onoff said:

That Gower Porter and the IPA look good. 

Thinking I should have stuck with Plan A and affixed to the sole plate. I could have bolted through rather than screwed.  Only thinking that as it dawned on me as I was taking the section out that the slab tapers off there a bit. Won't be much edge distance. I'm going to bolt the frame to the studs at the side too.

2017-01-29_12-43-11

Had a bit of a "back up" the other night.  Down the man hole with a spade to break off a frozen mass of wet wipes and the brown stuff, rods too! The Sainsburys bag must have a pin hole in it - bit of a stain.

what is actually there?

could you drill and resin with some threaded bar?

would save any worry about burst out.

Edited by Steptoe

6 hours ago, Steptoe said:

what is actually there?

could you drill and resin with some threaded bar?

would save any worry about burst out.

Uneven concrete for want of a better word:

Build up:

20170129_063735

Taper off/void:

20170129_063700

When l laid the floor I had the stud walls in place "hanging" from the ceiling and I screwed screeding rails to them. Actually Unistrut and it worked a treat with a drag board between them:

SAM_3349

So between the face of the opposing studs the concrete is lovely and flat but under the sole plate, particularly this side, it's either built up too much or tapers off. My vague plan was to slip in a few wooden packers and fill any voids with expanding foam. Didn't foresee as an issue.

The plan is to definitely use Fischer resin (big fan) anyway. Just worried whether there was enough "meat" for that. Just need to chip a bit of the concrete off. It will miss the UFH btw. I'll additionally (M10) bolt the frame to the side studs as there's suitable holes in the frame.

Edited by Onoff

So the missus likes this wc:

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Trento-Wall-Hung-Toilet-Pan-with-Soft-Close-Toilet-Seat/p/107328

The main reason is "because we can go and see it". I've yet to tell her that it's out of stock everywhere local anyway. Today, mind she's making perfectly good and frequent use of the existing old wc with this bug she's got. When it comes down to it I wish she'd just let me order one off the web!

Anyway if we do go for it I note it has a 100mm dia waste:

Selection_014

The Geberit fitting suits a 90mm dia waste seemingly:

20170129_125044

There is this thing in the kit of parts but seems it'll only take a 90mm pipe that'll only go in about 25mm.

20170129_125058

Is there a Geberit "100mm" part/adapter?

Cheers