What are the best ways to save money ahead of a demolition

LaCurandera

Hi, 

We've dug some trial holes and it seems that the foundations of our bungalow are unlikely to allow us to do a second storey without effort. It's not nailed on and waiting to speak to a SE, but the builder didn't seem positive. 

Anyway, if we do have to go with a rebuild, are there anythings that help save time (and presumably cost) that we could be getting on with in terms of strip out etc. I confess I don't know if a house is being demolished if it just gets flattened with a dozer, or is there days/weeks of prep before the walls come down? 

We're still actively pursuing other alternatives, but just wondered is there a good guide somewhere to the stages for site prep? At the moment it's just sat there, and I feel our weekends could be spent doing something on it that saves money later!

• Like 1

take out all the wood, skirts, doors, window frames, kitchen,  archi etc and burn it. you will still have to pick the roof trusses from the rubble to burn.

take out all the loft insulation.

strip out all pipework, cylinders, tanks etc.

when you knock it down you will have to pull out of the pile anything that isnt a brick, block or roof tile so easier to do it before hand.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Dave Jones said:

take out all the wood, skirts, doors, window frames, kitchen,  archi etc and burn it. you will still have to pick the roof trusses from the rubble to burn.

when you knock it down you will have to pull out of the pile anything that isnt a brick, block or roof tile so easier to do it before hand.

will this just save the cost of the demolition company doing it? if so, how much would them doing it really add? surely the digger can separate the bits quicker than taking it out by hand before hand?

I'm asking as we will eventually need to demolish our existing house so this is quite pertinent!

Hi @Russell griffiths,

Sorry, not going to start smashing things down too much, but more thinking about prep we could do. Some of it would be useful regardless as to whether we rebuild or renovate, some of it would go anyway. e.g. if it's stripping out wood, we can remove things like unused cupboards etc regardless of the route we go down. I didn't know whether if we were demolishing it would have been wasted effort.

So yeah, firmly on board with not counting chickens!

If planning to replace with a larger building make sure you have applied for and received the CIL exemption for self builders. Starting work before you have that can mean loosing the exemption.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Temp said:

If planning to replace with a larger building make sure you have applied for and received the CIL exemption for self builders. Starting work before you have that can mean loosing the exemption.

Thanks @Temp, certainly on the radar, but will investigate fully

Plan where you want new house and get any trees and hedges removed. 

Check for tree preservation orders and conservation area. 

If not get them removed before bird nesting starts. 

Clean old house very well on outside to remove any sign of bat activity. 

Remove any habitation piles any any rubbish that could be habitat for newts or any other protected creatures. 

Be be aware of doing all this with upmost care as disturbing protected species comes with some hefty fines.  

• Like 1

On 30/01/2022 at 15:54, Dave Jones said:

Many demolition orders from the LA forbid burning on site, ours did for sure.

I stripped out as much copper etc as I could and took to the scrap merchant myself, was only about £100 in the end so not really worth the effort.

The demo crew spent a day ripping out all the wood and it went into a large skip. Then the machine pulled he house apart from top to bottom, roofing and flooring timbers went into the same skip. They picked out any remaining metal for salvage and the rest went into a series of 20t trucks off to be crushed.  

Was less than a week for a 165m3 2 storey brick house.

We bought in a few trucks of crush later and there was all sorts of crap in it, taps, wood, cables etc.

2 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

Plan where you want new house and get any trees and hedges removed. 

Check for tree preservation orders and conservation area. 

If not get them removed before bird nesting starts. 

Clean old house very well on outside to remove any sign of bat activity. 

Remove any habitation piles any any rubbish that could be habitat for newts or any other protected creatures. 

Be be aware of doing all this with upmost care as disturbing protected species comes with some hefty fines.  

Fully this, we were hit with £2000 costs for stupid tree stuff we could have avoided by cutting them down ourselves. We did get away with bat's by demoliting before we were told to have full surveys.  DESPITE ecology report saying no bats!! Otherwise that'd have been another £2000++

Our builder saved (his!!) costs by sending all the brick & hard-core off in several farm trailers for them to use for field entrances etc etc. I bet that was a few grand saved in skips! 

15 hours ago, Andehh said:

Our builder saved (his!!) costs by sending all the brick & hard-core off in several farm trailers for them to use for field entrances etc etc. I bet that was a few grand saved in skips!

We saved a fortune in disposal fees for the earth taken out for the foundations.  Local farmer was very pleased to take it away to level the verge on the road down to the farm. We paid for the grass seed to reseed it.  Bargain.

Simon

When you have decided which bits you might want to keep, build a store for them in advance. A quick scaffolding framework (KwikStage?)  is fine

The wood will need to be dryish and  open to the air (i.e. out of the wind). Other bits will need to be kept dry. Thats not easy.

Local practice is to kill any wild-life - in an industrial way. Load of pig slurry in the ponds, bat roosts sprayed. All about a year before any documentation hits the paper trail.

I'm not suggesting you do that, merely reporting common practice. 

1 minute ago, SteamyTea said:

That is because they are the Fire Brigade, not the EA.

I was being sarcastic, I would have thought and hoped the FB would be promoting safety AND compliance with EA regarding fires