Mini Stove > Cabin job.

zoothorn

17 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Make a waterwheel connected to a small generator.

True green power.

Hi ST. I had thought of this idea albeit last on my list (a whippet next to last!).

Fly in the zootsoup is the stream swells so often. A big flow difference, plus height difference too. 

But in theory if it could ride both these factors itself, but might have to be industrial heavy duty to cope. Or I dip it in/ raise & lower it/ manually adjust it. Hmm. Lovely idea I must say.

Flue first. Being trickiest bit of the cabin just to know what bits to get/ ie if they'll fit together. Not much choice of 4" flues you see, far easier if it was a normal 5" or 6".

Thanks zh.

Chaps, re. Flue.. perhaps @ProDave  (PeterW- Ive decided to go out the back now, but many thx for your link via pm).

Ive got my dims here, & a presumed sketch of one possible way. Would this be correct, or, elbow section D maybe an adaptor back down to 4" & up ?

It seems to me getting the overall width, from A to D, tallying ( vertically) with my roof edge, that seems the tricky bit.. as I don't think you can cut section C to suit & align perfectly up.

Thanks, zoot.

57436F3F-3B41-4E8D-AD88-73475D1EC207.jpeg

E0AB68B9-DC11-4A94-8800-D06EDA4A92A2.jpeg

45 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Fly in the zootsoup is the stream swells so often. A big flow difference, plus height difference too.

Why would that be a problem, you size at the lowest level with a syphon feed, then the height differences are an irrelvance.

2 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Can get adjustable sections for “C”

@zoothorn where are you planning on getting the stuff from ..?

Hi Peter, well once I know what bits to get.. then I was going to start www sniffing about. ProDave linked to a place.

But it does seem wherever actually sells 4" bits might be the concise answer.

Zh 

2 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Why would that be a problem, you size at the lowest level with a syphon feed, then the height differences are an irrelvance.

Hey that's good ST. Sounds a fab project after the cabin inside done/ flue mainly.

Im not exactly on board with your reply right now.. but will pick this idea up definitely.

Thx zoot.

4 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Im not exactly on board with your reply right now..

Basically you build a dam and generator for the lowest water  level and anything over that simply overflows the dam 👍 looking forward to your next project/thread.

16 hours ago, PeterW said:

@zoothorn why not just go out the roof and trim the tree instead ..?? Quicker and simpler 

Hmm. More dithering. Its a fairly nice birch, don't want to smoke it dead. And its just spreading its wings ive cleared alot more light for it. And here its not out yet.. but maybe yr right & Im being too sensitive..

pov from top looking down on it..

4 hours ago, PeterW said:

Tree will be fine and that bottom branch wants coming off anyway to give it some shape. 

Right then, back to going straight up! The birch isn't a tip top tree, it leans badly for light Rightwards as photo shows/ to my advantage. Yes can lop that branch too.

So can use your link for the roof tricky bit. Big thx zoot.

10 hours ago, PeterW said:

Tree will be fine and that bottom branch wants coming off anyway to give it some shape. 

Argh blackbird nest @ cabin corner! 1ft from the wall, hip high, well hidden. Male keeping a bead6 eye on me on the nest. Dammit. Flue's gonna have to wait now until june+ when all fledged.

I do dig me blackboids. How they tolerated me faffing with window taking on/ off 2ft from their nest Ive no idea. And my swearing.

Have to crack on w'somehting else, but can buy flue bits over wknd.

zh

10 hours ago, markc said:

Cool spot, a bit of smoke won’t hurt the tree unless you are burning creosote etc.

Hi markc, thanks its a gem down here next to my stream. Good thing is wind 85% of time goes Leftwards ( in pic), back, & away from cabin, channels down our wee valley.

Only really when air is still the tree likely to be affected, better once I lop the low limb off. zoot.

Stream can swell to max 3 ft or so of quite rampant flow,  eg after a 2 day deluge, making quite a racket akin to a waterfall.

Pic looking onward past cabin here ( 6ft on from back pillar is my boundary end). Pretty wild this bit, no mans land really.

Odd place to find two gooseberry bushes I thought ( @ pillar, another opposite bank).

zh

99212D7A-539B-417C-8842-15B57B1D9698.jpeg

Edited by zoothorn

The hydro wheel leccy idea Im starting to think about now- would be so good, only need a small bit of leccy too..

The stream here is at its lowest btw, & never stops, so must be from an underground natural sping/ reservoir Id have thought.

5A861017-123B-472C-A2D5-CCD9032F8CE0.jpeg

3 minutes ago, Onoff said:

What's the derelict structure across the stream from your cabin? Has an old ladder poking out.

A**hole abusive threatening n'bors' Onoff, unfortunately. But thankfully that tiny sliver up there is their backward/ farthermost bit. And the bank immediately below that ladder/ scruffy top bit, actually is not theirs. Almost vertical steep to stream.

We're uncomfortably close unfortunately, but, they have a mass of overgrown bamboo & a general established  bigh "forest" of xyz plants hiding them from me 90%. Prior owners gardening experts you see, these two (since 2 yrs) not a clue so its all going haywire ott.. helping privacy a bit.

zoot.

• Like 1

I am watching the hydro power bit for my burn.  That is a project for the future.  There is not much fall on my burn, If I collected water right at one end of my garden and piped it I might just get 1M head at the other end, so rather than do that i am thinking of a simple undershot water wheel.

Our burn rises and falls rapidly so I am thinking to mount the water wheel on essentially a floating platform that rises and falls as the burn does. 

burn_1.thumb.jpg.b266110aa06ede14216e02f171524fa9.jpg

5 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I am watching the hydro power bit for my burn.  That is a project for the future.  There is not much fall on my burn, If I collected water right at one end of my garden and piped it I might just get 1M head at the other end, so rather than do that i am thinking of a simple undershot water wheel.

Our burn rises and falls rapidly so I am thinking to mount the water wheel on essentially a floating platform that rises and falls as the burn does. 

burn_1.thumb.jpg.b266110aa06ede14216e02f171524fa9.jpg

You could likely use that run off pipe as the pivot point. Then an arm to the floating paddle wheel or whatever. One issue might be debris coming down the burn and snagging/taking it out.

4 minutes ago, Onoff said:

You could likely use that run off pipe as the pivot point. Then an arm to the floating paddle wheel or whatever. One issue might be debris coming down the burn and snagging/taking it out.

When the time comes I will start a proper thread.  That is not where I want it.

Out of shot behind that view the burn makes a sharp 90 degree bend and at that point there is a natural rock constriction and faster flow. That is also right by the shed for easy connection.  Another factor is that puts it upstream of next doors septic tank discharge so "nicer" for maintenance.

• Like 2