Mini Stove > Cabin job.

zoothorn

13 minutes ago, ProDave said:

You NEED twin wall through the wall.  Most twin wall flues are rated to be 50mm from combustible material.  A single wall has to be more like 300mm or more from combustible material, that would be one BIG hole in the wall and dangerously hot for anyone passing the cabin to touch.

Yup sorry I forgot this. Your hetas info says twin needs to start 400mm before ceiling. So below that to stove.. has to be single flue.

I do not know how you could fix a twin flue to a stove top as you cannot see what your doing, so you cannot make sure the seal is good. If it needs an adaptor, so you fix this into the twin bottom,then this whole section can then be fixed to the stove top. But if I do this, as I cannot cut flue to ideal length, I will have a an extra 500mm of flue extending above roof. Thst means 1m total from felt. That means extra expense on brackets to make it sturdy, plus a silly-high chimney.

@zoothorn did you read my last post slowly and take it on board ..??

1m length of single wall

single to twin adapter

1m length of twin wall through the roof

top hat

you need a bracket somewhere on the twin wall near the bottom but that’s it ….

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PeterW said:

@zoothorn did you read my last post slowly and take it on board ..??

1m length of single wall

single to twin adapter

1m length of twin wall through the roof

top hat

you need a bracket somewhere on the twin wall near the bottom but that’s it ….

Hi Peter, Ive only just now seen your post ( done identical time to my last one you see/ missed it).

Ok yes I did see the link thanks, but it appears to be 6". My stove needs a 4" flue inserted into it & I dont think any other diameter flue is suitable to go into here.. is it?

Then from this 4" flue, further on, then it can be expanded to twin stuff but which surely would be the "next one up".. therefore being 5" diameter?

14 hours ago, PeterW said:

You can get 4” twin wall - it isn’t expensive. Do the lot in 4” but given that you only need a length of each plus bits it should be £120 tops. 

Still not totally clear Peter sorry.

Ok would the twin 6" stuff you kindly linked to, be correct for a 4" stove hole? I had the firm impression twin stuff would inherrantly be wider than single. By how much I do not know tho.

So my thinking was if I have a 4" stove hole.. then I'd need either a 5",6",7" (I don't exactly know which apart from it surely needing to be bigger than 4"). Is this not correct then?

No … twin wall is sized by the inner diameter not its outer. So 4” has around 1 1/4” of insulation making it about 6 1/2” in diameter when it is installed.  

4” stove pipe to a 4” twin wall through the roof. That 6” stuff is too big and won’t draw well so keep searching Facebook ..!!

On 21/03/2022 at 12:31, PeterW said:

No … twin wall is sized by the inner diameter not its outer. So 4” has around 1 1/4” of insulation making it about 6 1/2” in diameter when it is installed.  

4” stove pipe to a 4” twin wall through the roof. That 6” stuff is too big and won’t draw well so keep searching Facebook ..!!

Hi Peter. I understand twin stuff, to mate with the 4" single, will be bigger. This is all I understand. But what size am I looking for to mate with it?

IE am I searching for  " 4 inch twin wall " or " 6-1/2 inch twin wall " ? ( but if 6" stuff on facebook is too big as you say, then I can't be looking for 6", or, 6-1/2" stuff because it's even bigger than 6")..

.. which surely leaves only one option: " 5 inch twin wall " ?

Typically confused zoot.

Edited by zoothorn

@PeterW you have the patience of a saint 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, zoothorn said:

But what size am I looking for to mate with it?

4” single from stove joined to 4” double to go through roof!

twin wall is sized by the inner diameter not its outer.

4” stove pipe to a 4” twin wall through the roof.

🤷‍♂️

7 hours ago, zoothorn said:

But what size am I looking for to mate with it?

4” single fits to 4” twin wall using an adapter. … 

Does this help..???

F36B8394-3917-49B1-A7D4-FDF5ACF1F554.thumb.jpeg.dd0c01fea40a8b721c23d2bf84b7e35b.jpeg

(And before the pedants point out the flue goes into the inside flange of the stove, it is a sketch not the bleedin’ MI’s…!!!))

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, PeterW said:

4” single fits to 4” twin wall using an adapter. … 

Does this help..???

F36B8394-3917-49B1-A7D4-FDF5ACF1F554.thumb.jpeg.dd0c01fea40a8b721c23d2bf84b7e35b.jpeg

(And before the pedants point out the flue goes into the inside flange of the stove, it is a sketch not the bleedin’ MI’s…!!!))

Haha. Thanks for the sketch Peter.. Onoff skills there/ really helps this eejet.

NOW Im on board, now I understand flue figures refer to the - internal- flue width. I was only ever thinking outer width!

Great. Im also thinking once I get this in, could I maybe decamp into cabin for 6 months & give my house ( mostly) to ukrainians..? A long way west tho. But a whole family could have it. Me scrimp for 6 months.. nothing to endure compared to their plight.

Fab thanks. Zoot.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi chaps. (PeterW Ive sent a pm).

Sorry this is taking so long: Im still 50/50 on flue out the back, or straight up. And the flue height is of concern.

In meantime the heatproof stove wall boards Ive installed, & cabin interior decorating done.

zh

1 minute ago, zoothorn said:

Hi chaps. (PeterW Ive sent a pm).

Sorry this is taking so long: Im still 50/50 on flue out the back, or straight up. And the flue height is of concern.

In meantime the heatproof stove wall boards Ive installed, & cabin interior decorating done.

zh

Pictures please!

2 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Both issues resolved by PM.. straight up, and don’t worry about height as per message !

On 05/04/2022 at 11:27, Onoff said:

Pictures please!

Hi there Onoff. Of me? You -always- have one of me.. all of me too. Im jolly well not showing you any more.

Ok Ive been clarifying B.regs with Peter via pm. And procrastinating too much etc. Could one of you remind me please: the overall Height of my cabin (with regard to B.regs) is determined from the higher slope point... so -not- including the pillars on the steep slope-side?

Thanks. Yes will add a pic tomorrow, I have done a bit more since. Might be time for a zoot's music interlude too.

Thanks y'all. Zoot.

Height is from the highest part - so basically it’s the top of your slope to the bottom of the eaves. 

Im just being super thouragh here, so it's from A to B yes?

And why would it be the eaves.. & not to the tallest point? I mean in theory it could be a far higher/ steeper pitched roof.. & even a small window @ C.

Thanks Peter.

A519B27A-2D5F-48A1-A4E4-D4F7AAECA17E.jpeg

11 hours ago, PeterW said:

It is how the rules are written. 

Didn't we go through this when you built it ..?

We did Peter I think.. but finding it, it's far quicker to just ask again if that's ok. And it double-checks things too.

Is my post with my drawing above correct? Im  pretty sure it tallies with what your saying. Best to be fully sure.

Thx zoot.

On 05/04/2022 at 11:27, Onoff said:

Pictures please!

A bit short on the fireboard width.. might -just- be ok. A few bricks to widen the stove area section should sort this area, & flue further away than stove from the walls.. so hoping to just get away with it here too.

Door is a pickle (pic in post below) lopsided, terribly dark water stained.. rain gets in. A summer job to replace, or ideally tart up s'how.

Im now ready to buy flue bits. Thx zoot

1F995F35-EFD7-46C7-A9AA-E0EDAFB758A6.jpeg

91534601-338E-4D59-9829-99AE8B866062.jpeg

Edited by zoothorn