Mini Stove > Cabin job.

zoothorn

2 hours ago, Onoff said:

Credit to whoever suggested it in the first place I say... 

Yup Peter's advice second to none. Don't trust the reviews you read too. I have asked Peter if he'd adopt me. No reply as of yet (& 50 -isn't- too old too btw Ive asked my local agency).

Your white goods idea.. great. I would consider it, I think if it wasn't mid winter. So this might take a while to stumble across something suitable either pilfered or new.

Thanks, zoot.

@Onoff actually Ive got a more pressing concern, Fridays storm. I keep checking on my cabin roof, overhanging forwards by modt of a metre etc, & surely the perfect shape to lift up etc.

Is there any validity to my idea, a rough plan, of attatching heavy hooks to the front L & R underside of my aerofoil roof protrusion, another hook pair secured into deck below.. & whip out some chains (or two ratchet straps.. just thought of that now) to put between them?

IE secure down the roof. Maybe a metal bracket overthe roof ridge, at front, to tie the two roof sides 'together'.

Im bloomin worried me roof's gonna blow off.

10 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

@Onoff actually Ive got a more pressing concern, Fridays storm. I keep checking on my cabin roof, overhanging forwards by modt of a metre etc, & surely the perfect shape to lift up etc.

Is there any validity to my idea, a rough plan, of attatching heavy hooks to the front L & R underside of my aerofoil roof protrusion, another hook pair secured into deck below.. & whip out some chains (or two ratchet straps.. just thought of that now) to put between them?

IE secure down the roof. Maybe a metal bracket overthe roof ridge, at front, to tie the two roof sides 'together'.

Im bloomin worried me roof's gonna blow off.

Yep, it's a worry! 

15 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Watched this just t'other night.. fab film.

Another banjo ditty I foundhere. You guys might wanna shoot it.. so your wifey's will possibly enjoy, should you not do. Im a hippy, so it floats my boat.. good player too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nr_3MvtSgDE

9 hours ago, ProDave said:

this is more my thing and what I am playing at the moment (no that is not me and no I am not that good)

It saves all that bother with chords, which I am not very good at (short fat fingers but every guitar teacher says there is no such thing)

that just brought up a thought of @pocster playing dueling banjos

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Onoff said:

I think a couple of galvanised chains could look a pretty cool feature as well as serving a practical purpose. 

It'll have to be ratchet straps/ cheapest option. I found one here, so 1 extra plus some firm metal loops to buy tmrw.

Then its batten down the hatches for real. Crikey, not lookin fwd to the storm friday. My big beech tree next to the house is in prime weather-firing-line too.. very disconcerting, even last night. 

Porch has got some water coming in via the old stonework, somehow leeching up & through, in one corner. Not down from roof. Large yellow damp stains slowly emerged in this one low corner next to door since I painted it.

On 15/02/2022 at 13:43, joe90 said:

Wow that looks really good mate, well done you. As an alternative to metal sheet what about tiling, cheap tiles, end of line?, being ceramic they would be heat proof surely! Brick slips! ?

Hi Joe90, thanks. Tbh I'd no idea the manky old tiles could scrub up for such decent results.

Good suggestion. I wonder if tiles tho ( as I'd assume only 8 mm standard ones could really be feasible for a wall ) would give an ample heat barrier though? Hmm..

And I keep saying everytime I grout.. never again! I loathe the job. Thanks, zoot.

On 16/02/2022 at 12:29, centralLondonJOHN said:

ZootHorn Rollo they were the days. Roll on!

I toyed with Winged Eel Fingerling but thought it a bit long! And just 'Fingerling' sounds a bit rude cLJ.

@ProDave thanks to you Ive just bought a baritone uke. Should be perfect for the cabin.

Any other ideas for two cheap but decent rear of stove wall barriers chaps, welcome! Zh

4 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

I toyed with Winged Eel Fingerling but thought it a bit long! And just 'Fingerling' sounds a bit rude cLJ.

I was talking to someone about the guitar the other day and said "I'll go back to my fingering and plucking" and he spat his mouthful of drink all over the kitchen

6 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Any other ideas for two cheap but decent rear of stove wall barriers chaps, welcome! Zh

Whatever you use i think the important bit is the air gap between the shield and the wooden wall, so even if the shield gets quite hot, that won't convey to the timber.  So I don't think tiling direct to the wall would be any good, but tiling onto a non flamable board mounted off the wall on spacers would be good.

Of just find a metal merchant and buy some sheet steel and paint it.

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

I was talking to someone about the guitar the other day and said "I'll go back to my fingering and plucking" and he spat his mouthful of drink all over the kitchen

Whatever you use i think the important bit is the air gap between the shield and the wooden wall, so even if the shield gets quite hot, that won't convey to the timber.  So I don't think tiling direct to the wall would be any good, but tiling onto a non flamable board mounted off the wall on spacers would be good.

Of just find a metal merchant and buy some sheet steel and paint it.

Hehe you won't be using those two words together again anytime soon!

I wonder if sheet steel, which no doubt your reasoning to paint it, would be due to it rusting, would actually look quite rustic.. left rusty-?

Or now I understand the idea of tiling onto a special board of somesort.. perhaps this might be cheapest.

Thanks Zoot.

You could get busy with a jigsaw and metal cutting blade to scallop the edges of metal sheeting. Make it look pretty etc. 

Would two bits of corrugated iron roofing sheet work? Stood off the wooden walls a bit. Could look quite good even if old and battered. 

On 19/02/2022 at 12:28, Onoff said:

You could get busy with a jigsaw and metal cutting blade to scallop the edges of metal sheeting. Make it look pretty etc. 

Would two bits of corrugated iron roofing sheet work? Stood off the wooden walls a bit. Could look quite good even if old and battered. 

Sounds like a very cheap option. Not too sure Id feel comfy in an armchair in there next to corrugated sheet tho.

Im wondering if I bought 12 similar size tiles as some i have here, ( 8mm thick terracotta 9" sq) say black.. alternate them, onto a pair of stood off boards. Squeeze down onto some tile adhesive, then only a minimal ammount of grout/ use my remaining ~5 kg grey stuff.

What board would I need for this Onoff? joe90's plan really back a page or so.

Thanks Zoot.

19 hours ago, Onoff said:

Must be some storm damaged tin buildings round your way?

Aquapanel cement board is ideal but nearly £40 for two sheets!

Wrinkly tin for me.

Well it's just all the searching about really.. aquapanel is a no go then.

What thickness metal sheet would  you say? I need 2x 600mm x 700mm behind stove.

@zoothorn you got a Wickes anywhere near you as this STS board would do

https://www.wickes.co.uk/STS-Construction-Board-1200-x-800-x-12mm/p/225437

slice it down the middle with a grinder (outside..!) and you’ve got a pair of 800x600 panels that can just be screwed to the frame with a couple of stand offs made of copper tube or similar. 

13 hours ago, PeterW said:

@zoothorn you got a Wickes anywhere near you as this STS board would do

https://www.wickes.co.uk/STS-Construction-Board-1200-x-800-x-12mm/p/225437

slice it down the middle with a grinder (outside..!) and you’ve got a pair of 800x600 panels that can just be screwed to the frame with a couple of stand offs made of copper tube or similar. 

Hi Peter, this looks good ? thanks for the suggestion.

Well nothing nearby, but delivery an option £5.. is this stuff viable to get sent?

Or is it like thick plasterboard/ prolly arrive broken if so.

3 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Hi Peter, this looks good ? thanks for the suggestion.

Well nothing nearby, but delivery an option £5.. is this stuff viable to get sent?

Or is it like thick plasterboard/ prolly arrive broken if so.

you can nearly stand on it it is that strong - nothing like plasterboard. Local Jewsons should have something similar though and a single board cut down the middle woll

do you.