Where is the kWh price heading in 2022?

24 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Because most cold taps are in the right, and people are right handed.

I’ve been told that before but the last two houses we’ve lived in have had single taps still happened. Three members of my wider family are left handed (as am I) and they all do it. Maybe handedness has a part to play in it for some but mostly it comes from a lifetime of not having to think about it. I’ve visited countries where water is more scarce and the people are generally much more mindful about wasting it. 

Edited by Kelvin
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I've just bought a 6kW diesel genny...not sure why other than it was cheap.

Ha, I was looking yesterday whilst pondering the likelihood of January power cuts.

Being rural, having a flip over for key circuits during power cuts was always on my slop chit of stuff to look at but I was intending to house that stuff in the garage. Garage ain't built yet though!

• Haha 1

28 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

I’ve been told that before but the last two houses we’ve lived in have had single taps still happened. Three members of my wider family are left handed (as am I) and they all do it. Maybe handedness has a part to play in it for some but mostly it comes from a lifetime of not having to think about it. I’ve visited countries where water is more scarce and the people are generally much more mindful about wasting it. 

I agree that it is about consciousness.

The same could be said for green enthusiasm only ever being generally engaged when it saves Joe Bloggs noticeable amounts of money.

My water solution to increase consciousness is universal metering. Which has a record of reducing usage by ~10-20% iirc.

3 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

What are folks doing with their bills in general - are you fixing?

I'm still on the tracker at the minute which is 27p/kWh - they want 50odd p to fix which I'm not overly excited about doing😒

Octopus variable (call it flex or something) always stay in credit so they keep me on best rate available.

4 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

I'm still on the tracker at the minute which is 27p/kWh - they want 50odd p to fix which I'm not overly excited about doing😒

I think the boat on reasonable fixed price electricity deals has left already, the same as mortgages.

3 minutes ago, Marvin said:

I think the boat on reasonable fixed price electricity deals has left already, the same as mortgages.

I ca see no reason for going fixed, and my focus is on reducing usage and exploiting my solar more effectively.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, LA3222 said:

I fixed at the beginning of the year, but only a 1 year fix was on offer.  The fixed price turned out to be only slightly lower than the April cap but at a lower daily standing charge.  It will protect me from the October predicted 82% rise and keep my bills lower this winter but March next year will be the shock time for me. 

42 minutes ago, Kelvin said:

I’ve visited countries where water is more scarce and the people are generally much more mindful about wasting it. 

My father's job back home in the West Indies was to distill seawater into tap water.

With oil as the thermal source.

Cost 3 cent for 4 US gallons.

14 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Yep. We’re renting while building. The rental is with Bulb. I have power at the plot with the meter being installed next month. I won’t use much electricity but will be paying two sets of standing charges for a while. 

19 minutes ago, Marvin said:

Our mortgage ends in March. Not looking forward to renewing that one. 

8 minutes ago, jayc89 said:

Our mortgage ends in March. Not looking forward to renewing that one. 

I'm stuck on the tracker self build job at the minute, another angle from which I'm getting shafted.

Can't really moan though as everyone is riding the same shit train at the minute unfortunately😬

2 hours ago, Kelvin said:

Yep. We’re renting while building. The rental is with Bulb. I have power at the plot with the meter being installed next month. I won’t use much electricity but will be paying two sets of standing charges for a while. 

Me too. I've had site electric since April from British Gas. Just had a first bill approx £65 of which £60 is standing charge. 

18 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

It's worth remembering that the cap is on the price, and the £1971 etc is that applied to average usage for a 2.4 person household.

+1  It's not clear how it scales to people above and below average due to standing charges and the like. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kelvin said:

I have power at the plot with the meter being installed next month. I won’t use much electricity but will be paying two sets of standing charges for a while. 

34 minutes ago, shuff27 said:

Me too. I've had site electric since April from British Gas. Just had a first bill approx £65 of which £60 is standing charge. 

Get a couple of Honda Generators, and chains/padlocks/insurance.

Sell them when the build is finished.

1 hour ago, shuff27 said:

Octopus have given me £150 of credit due to all the messing about trying to get connected. 

46 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Get a couple of Honda Generators, and chains/padlocks/insurance.

Sell them when the build is finished.

I contemplated that but it will get knicked so I cba with the hassle of that. More importantly I have one elderly neighbour who has been very amenable and she’s quite ill so I wouldn’t want a noisy generator on-site along with all the other noise the build will generate. What power I’ve needed so far I’ve powered from my leccy car. (V2L)