Where is the kWh price heading in 2022?

13 hours ago, TonyT said:

Email today about OVO taking over SSE fits and the changes and the expected delays for more processing while they hold onto monies…..

Bloody SSE don't pay my FiT payments until the very last day anyway.

10 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

When I was doing my post grad, I got accused of scaremongering about blackout.

I can believe it. 

People are so oblivious and disconnected from reality. I have some neighbours who if I talk about brown/blackouts they laugh it off, "that will never be allowed to happen" they are so brainwashed into believing that they just need to do what they are told and someone will look after them. Mind you, they were the same lot that took the Covid restrictions to real extremes, made their kid strip after school. in the porch, his clothes were removed with gloved hand and mask and washed, he was sent to the shower unable to touch anything as he went. Clueless. Poor child, he is 5/6!

They clearly have faith that those running things actually have a clue, where we all know generally they screw most things up. 

Edited by Carrerahill

4 minutes ago, pocster said:

Now that would be an achievement!

If I stop using the oven, the dishwasher and the washing machine on warm cycles, oh and stop welding things, I think I could make it work fairly soon. Wife doesn't seem to care about the latter, only the former.

I just need to solve those key appliances, welder first actually, then I think I could make it happen. Big battery capacity and big inverters to lead a normal life. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

If I stop using the oven, the dishwasher and the washing machine on warm cycles, oh and stop welding things, I think I could make it work fairly soon. Wife doesn't seem to care about the latter, only the former.

I just need to solve those key appliances, welder first actually, then I think I could make it happen. Big battery capacity and big inverters to lead a normal life. 

When I had my SolarEdge battery installed the installer did say there was a local guy going completely off grid all year round . He has a 40kw pv array and battery . I asked what happened in winter I.e low pv ; apparently if he only generates say 2kw he uses 1 and makes sure he ‘banks’ 1 in the battery .

I think he’s on a mission so no tv , laptop or welder to deal with - presumably no SWMBO also !

Edited by pocster
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, pocster said:

presumably no SWMBO also !

Probably how I got away with using only 1 kWh yesterday.

Think last week was about 18 for the week, but may have been 28.

Looked at my bill and noticed that my standing charge is 57p a day.

That would buy 3 kWh of gasoline.

Could probably get 2 kWh of electricity and thermal out of that (seen a small honda bike with a water cooled 125 cc engine).

Seems off grid at 40p/kWh would be viable.

2 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

Could probably get 2 kWh of electricity and thermal out of that (seen a small honda bike with a water cooled 125 cc engine).

Sad thing I’ve been reading is that come winter more people will be using that log burner rather than the main heating of the house . There I was thinking we were trying to get away from that where possible….

15 minutes ago, pocster said:

When I had my SolarEdge battery installed the installer did say there was a local guy going completely off grid all year round . He has a 40kw pv array and battery . I asked what happened in winter I.e low pv ; apparently if he only generates say 2kw he uses 1 and makes sure he ‘banks’ 1 in the battery .

I think he’s on a mission so no tv , laptop or welder to deal with - presumably no SWMBO also !

Sounds like he is, if I was on my own I could cope too.

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

Sad thing I’ve been reading is that come winter more people will be using that log burner rather than the main heating of the house . There I was thinking we were trying to get away from that where possible….

Really sad thing is that we could have sorted mist of this out.

30 (expletive deleted)ing years ago

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sounds/play/w3ct39z8?partner=uk.co.bbc&origin=share-mobile

17 minutes ago, pocster said:

A life no doubt of complete bliss !

Wife and son went away for 2 days, back yesterday... as much as I love my family to pieces, it was indeed bliss. In the garage from after work till late, dinner when I could be bothered, stuff didn't move all the time, washing machine and dishwasher never on (not due to being manky but 1 man doesn't create enough to justify a wash), no vacuuming needed, no TV.

1 minute ago, joe90 said:

You need a small diesel as red is so much cheaper to run.

Thought that had changed.

Would prefer diesel, but there are no small diesel engines in scrap cars.

I don't think a 1.4 Lt XUD is suitable for a 3 kW generator.

Bit overkill.

15 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I considered a waste veg oil/waste engine oil fed Petter engine with a 3kW alternator on it - I have the engine... 

My friend has in his barn a Lister D standing engine with a 3kW, 3phase squirrel cage motor on it, we wired it up to a bank of capacitors to convert it to 1ph and he wired it directly into 1 of the 2 elements in his hot water cylinder. That was connected to a 500litre tank that old oil, red diesel, veg oil got tipped into, through a big filter and into the engine. In the summer (when the wood/coal fired range is not on) he will go out in the morning and start it up (hand start) 1 hour later his cylinder contains enough hot water for himself for the day including a long shower. 

We built that about 10 years ago, still not had an oil change that engine!

• Like 1

Red cannot be used in plant anymore (but there are some exceptions, like ag use), it can be used for agriculture and it can be used for non commercial heating and electricity generation, those are the only parts of the new laws which impact me so I cannot comment on other stuff. 

All here though:

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/using-rebated-fuels-in-vehicles-and-machines-excise-notice-75-from-1-april-2022

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

Wife and son went away for 2 days, back yesterday... as much as I love my family to pieces, it was indeed bliss. In the garage from after work till late, dinner when I could be bothered, stuff didn't move all the time, washing machine and dishwasher never on (not due to being manky but 1 man doesn't create enough to justify a wash), no vacuuming needed, no TV.

I hate it when SWMBO “ works from home “ …. 😑

8 minutes ago, Carrerahill said:

it can be used for non commercial heating and electricity generation,

👍 I have an old dumper with a petter engine, loads of them in India fir village electrical generation .

16 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

Makes me want to use even less.

And buy a thicker jacket.

Exactly so. This old farmhouse we are renting might as well have no walls. I gave up trying to heat it last year so just wore more clothes, fingerless gloves and a hat on the very coldest days. 

Maybe one thing that might come out of all of this is that more people will give  greater consideration to how much energy they waste. Years of moaning to the people that live with me about leaving lights on, the TV on when no one is in the room, boiling a full kettle for one cup etc and only now is it starting to sink in. Same with water waste. Drives me nuts when I hear the tap running when they are brushing their teeth. We are a very entitled society generally as we’ve grown to used to always having cheap abundant energy and not having to worry about a lack of water. The UK’s  antiquated water systems, the lack of investment in it, and the huge loss to leaks every day is a scandal really. 

Our self-build won’t be exactly off grid but we will have our own water supply, we’ll deal with our own sewerage and we’ll generate some of our electricity. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Carrerahill said:

Sounds like you are trying to make a little CHP unit - its on my list of to dos!

Yes.

Biggest problem is noise.

With a couple of kWh of battery storage, night time usage would be easily covered for me.

A 5 kW motor throws away and extra 10 kW of thermal energy.

Take half of that that heat some water in a tank, some to charge the batteries, should only need to run for an hour a day, can do that at a convenient time when most neighbours are at work.