Drying Towels in an MVHR fitted bathroom

+1 hand blade also

Exactly the same in my house. I hardly get the towels wet, the other two members of the family soak them. My daughter also manages to leave half the contents of the shower on the bathroom floor.

Until we get into the new house, we have no MVHR, just central heating. I just chuck the towel over the shower screen and it is dry the next morning. However, other members of the family tend to leave the towel rolled up and it stays damp. Thus a towel rail will help if it encourages the towel to be hung up properly. If it is stuffed into the towel rail all scrunched up it won't dry out. But it probably doesn't need to be heated, just a place to properly hang up the towels.

25 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

Interesting...... so next question, has anyone who does have UFH in the bathroom tried any kind of low level or floor utilising towel drying methods??

Ed if you think Faye is going to buy the ".... but if I leave it on the floor love it dries better..." argument then you need to think again!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Calvinmiddle said:

and hope she doesn't read this thread

Haa.  I showed Jan the "Follow this member" function soon after she go her own account.  She's been tracking this post-by-post.

Anyway I really think I also like the idea of underfloor heating for our bathroom Terry, it'll be great for drying the bath mat, along with the heated towel rail everything will dry out really well, shame we can't have the fluffy towels, maybe we will need a tumble dryer too, we could fit it in the utility maybe :ph34r:

• Like 3

results from tonights shower.  

Faye's towel weight

before : 634g

after: 663g

Ed's towel weight:

before: 504

after: 557

things to be considered,

Faye didn't wash her hair ( i will get results for this tomorrow)  whereas I did.

I wiped myself down in the shower whereas Faye didn't.

my towel was a lot warmer, fluffier and smaller than Faye's (doubt any of these make much difference but they were observations i made)

I have got a LOT more hair not on my head than Faye has

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Construction Channel said:

results from tonights shower.  

Faye's towel weight

before : 634g

after: 663g

Ed's towel weight:

before: 504

after: 557

things to be considered,

Faye didn't wash her hair ( i will get results for this tomorrow)  whereas I did.

my towel was a lot warmer and fluffier and smaller than Faye's (doubt any of these make much difference but they were observations i made)

These results would indicate you have a rather larger body than Faye. :D

2 minutes ago, TerryE said:

@Construction Channel Your wiper blade is obviously bloody useless.  Faye is my kind of girl at a 29gm wetness.  Mind you, she does have a lot less surface area than me, so we probably have the same wetness per m2!

Possibly, but it is great at wiping the curved shower screen, it is obviously not great at drying hair, i will try wiping faye down with it and see how much difference it makes on her considerably less hairy body ... :) 

I will leave the rest of the quote to everyone else :ph34r::D

+1 on hand blade.

I confess we're covering all the options - MVHR, electric underfloor heating in the en-suite, plus heated towel rail with electric element for summer use. Completely over the top. Our current towels dry overnight on an unheated towel rail, so they'll be like a crisp in the new house 9_9.

10 hours ago, TerryE said:

@readiescards, fancy doing the towel weighing test? :)

575 -> 620g = 45g gain (including hair-wash)

9 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

you guys need one of these,

we use it to wipe down our curved shower screen but it also does a decent job on me :) 

http://www.ebuild.co.uk/topic/15422-condensing-fluffy-towel-dryer/page__hl__%2Bfluffy+%2Btowel

Having tried that I'll stick with the hand-blade 

8 hours ago, readiescards said:

12 hours ago, RandAbuild said:

+1 on hand blade.

I confess we're covering all the options - MVHR, electric underfloor heating in the en-suite, plus heated towel rail with electric element for summer use. Completely over the top. Our current towels dry overnight on an unheated towel rail, so they'll be like a crisp in the new house 9_9.

Maybe add one of these for good measure.

DryPodsInUse-edit.jpg

• Like 1

Not really a proper test, but I fitted one of these: http://www.clothesairerstore.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=21_32&products_id=122 in the utility room, above the sink and work top, with an MVHR extract terminal directly above it.  I've dried hand-washed towels on it and they always dry completely over night.  Because the extract duct is right over the centre of the drier I suspect towels dry more quickly than they would on a towel rail.

On the topic of towel rails, I managed to find a wide one (1300 wide, 400mm high) that will (hopefully) overcome the problem of towels being on top of each other.  I fitted the smallest electric element I could find to it, and have it connected to a time switch (outside the bathroom).  I'm hopeful that this will be enough to dry towels OK, but I'm sure that some will end up in the tumble dryer, just to get them fluffy.................

• Like 1