How do you fancy this new house

1 minute ago, Moonshine said:

Please tell me this is a joke, are people living in it?

This belongs to a girl I used to work with and she just posted these pictures tonight to show off her new lights that she had installed ? she moved in just before Xmas, doesn’t appear to think there’s anything wrong!

Forget the blockwork, I would not want to live where you are jammed that close together with such tiny gardens, and where everyone feels the area is dodgy enough to have such search lights outside their house.

Once you have lived in a detached house in the countryside with 1/3 acre garden, there is no going back.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Forget the blockwork, I would not want to live where you are jammed that close together with such tiny gardens, and where everyone feels the area is dodgy enough to have such search lights outside their house.

Once you have lived in a detached house in the countryside with 1/3 acre garden, there is no going back.

Totally agree with you there! It actually worries me as to where I’ll live when(and if) I get older, house is too big for a pair of old codgers and you need to be able to drive but I definitely wouldn’t want to be able to hear my neighbour flushing their toilet?

I don't know if I dare admit it but we've got a Persimmon house (built 2007) and it's constructed very well. I've seen practically every nook and cranny having worked on it, extended it and retrofitted MVHR. I'd like to think I understand a fair bit about house construction and techniques having renovated a few properties over the years covering practically every aspect so I don't think I've got a warped sense of what's good and bad.

It was a show home though, so perhaps as mentioned there might be something in that. That said, I've also noticed that every show home we go in these days (my wife's a big fan of noseying around these things) always disappoints us in terms of size and layout, and in some cases construction, so perhaps there's something else behind why ours seems fine.

I'd never defend Persimmon based on what I've heard about them, but I'd certainly defend and give them due credit for this particular house they've built. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ProDave said:

When I see that kind of crammed modern estates I genuinely get a touch of anxiety at the thought of having to go back to that again and count myself lucky. The really densely packed inner city sink estates look like hell.

2 minutes ago, Ralph said:

When I see that kind of crammed modern estates I genuinely get a touch of anxiety at the thought of having to go back to that again and count myself lucky. The really densely packed inner city sink estates look like hell.

Yep, when it's really unpleasant to sit in your own back garden because of the overpowering whiff of the neighbours weed smoking. It was the same when I lived in a terrace house before I bought this place! ?

15 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Yep, when it's really unpleasant to sit in your own back garden because of the overpowering whiff of the neighbours weed smoking. It was the same when I lived in a terrace house before I bought this place! ?

And they never offer to share.

Interactions with neighbors were generally about some issue, fences, kids, dogs barking etc. Now it's someone dropping of surplus veg or occasionally a bottle of home made booze.

1 minute ago, Ralph said:

Interactions with neighbors

That's a new one on me...

The latest here is some new incomers kids have apparently strayed onto their neighbour's property over a very unclear boundary. First time I've seen a police car down here since they were looking for the last murder victim.

Edited by Onoff

5 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

but when did folk become so combative and thoughtless? Didn't seem to be an issue when *everyone* lived in rented terraces with outside loos...

and don't presume everyone in the countryside is neighbourly.

"Get 'orf moi land!"

EclSXGFXYAEVvDj.jpg.f76866462783a0d85122dcb516de9b51.jpg

1 hour ago, dpmiller said:

and don't presume everyone in the countryside is neighbourly.

That's very true but the difference is you can't hear them calling you an arsehole through your living room wall. 

As PJ O'Rourke wrote about the advantages of crashing a really big car: 

"it happens very far away – way out at the end of your fenders. It’s like a civil war in Africa; you know, it doesn’t really concern you too much. On the other hand, when something happens in a little bitty car it happens right in your face. You get all involved in it and have to give everything a lot of thought."