German fancy kitchens

20 minutes ago, Stones said:

We have a 'Schuller' kitchen, sourced through our local Buildbase who carry it as a mainstay to compete with the two Nobilla suppliers here.  Similar prices and quality as far as I could see, with Schuller having the edge for what we were looking for.  The best thing about both suppliers was their ability to supply units and finishes to accommodate an extra 100mm of worktop height (our worktop sits around 1000mm high rather than standard UK 900mm).  

Why the extra height,are you a giant? Or is it a design feature. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mr Punter said:

It was a single property that we split into 2.  It was formally the Brighton Women's Centre.  When we viewed it we were apparently the first men to have crossed the threshold for over 20 years.

I bet the kitchen used to be bigger then. 

Edited by daiking
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 10/02/2021 at 09:05, ryder72 said:

Yes Siematic is a good product, albeit a bit pricey. But it will easily last you 25-30 years and will still look good as new with a bit of TLC

@ryder72 can I ask, if Siematic is a bit pricey, which brand would you consider better value for money but still quality beyond the typical British kitchen?  I got a quote for Leicht, it was far in excess of our planned budget.

Ideally I would like a poket door pantry unit, which is what brought me to Leicht as they made one, but it was well beyond my means.

Edited by tanneja
  • Like 1

Leicht is one of the best value kitchens that also offer great features. Effectively Siematic for a lot less.

Almost all German products are better than the bog standard British kitchen, but not all of them add the clever features that Leicht offer.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ToughButterCup said:

Vorsprung durch Kuechentechnik

To be honest that is a myth a lot of kitchen retailers peddle.

Kitchens are fundamentally not complicated of high-tech items.

What the German manufacturers do very well in invest heavily in automation. Essentially play to their strength of being able to scale up manufacturing and provide a product to a good quality consistently and do it correctly. Right from the entry level German manufacturing to the top end ones, the one thing in common is a well put-together product, delivered to order. On time. and complete. It the the retailing that attaches the German tag to any German-made kitchen and tries a smoke and mirrors approach. There are definite differences in quality, detailing, materials, design between German manufacturers but this isnt immediately apparent unless you are in the business.

This is something British manufacturers fail to do. Its all about cutting corners with a that'll do attitude. Inevitably that results in shoddy build quality, poor attention to detail, compromised quality and a shocking price driven attitude.

• Like 2

. Its all about cutting corners with a that'll do attitude. Inevitablythat results in shoddy build quality, poor attention to detail, compromised quality and a shocking price driven attitude.

No need to talk about my build ?

• Haha 2

Just did a kitchen design with one of the main UK brands (hey, had to start somewhere) and the designer did an OK job, but immediately after the price was in (35K!) they said it was sale season and it's 50% off, if we decide within 3 days.  Feels like UK kitchen designers are really doing this whole "wow you got so lucky you walked in today, buy now or you lose out" sales technique.

I should look into Leicht and Nolte? Has Brexit hurt the prices for 'german stuff'? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, puntloos said:

Feels like UK kitchen designers are really doing this whole "wow you got so lucky you walked in today, buy now or you lose out" sales technique.

Ah, classic double glazing sales techniques. (also used extensively by US car showrooms).  Right down to the "surprise" phone call mid consultation from their manager leaking some brand new "today only" discounts if you sign in the next 30 minutes.

Also used by the major bedroom fitted wardrobe units, and various snake-oil electric heater sales teams. 

Small local companies _tend_ to be more genuine and not do this. But introduces new reputation (or lack-of) risks...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, puntloos said:

Just did a kitchen design with one of the main UK brands (hey, had to start somewhere) and the designer did an OK job, but immediately after the price was in (35K!) they said it was sale season and it's 50% off, if we decide within 3 days.  Feels like UK kitchen designers are really doing this whole "wow you got so lucky you walked in today, buy now or you lose out" sales technique.

I should look into Leicht and Nolte? Has Brexit hurt the prices for 'german stuff'? 

Wren was it ..?? ?

Wren learned from Magnet, they have been at it for so many years..!! 

I had a Magnet trade account, went in with a friend who was looking at a kitchen and they priced it at about £18k. I went back in after they left and they offered me the same kitchen for £8k... trade ..! Week later I got a call for same kitchen at £6k, you can tell how much margin they make ... 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Wren learned from Magnet, they have been at it for so many years..!! 

I had a Magnet trade account, went in with a friend who was looking at a kitchen and they priced it at about £18k. I went back in after they left and they offered me the same kitchen for £8k... trade ..! Week later I got a call for same kitchen at £6k, you can tell how much margin they make ... 

I guess one challenge I have is I'm trying to figure out the final estimated cost of my house before committing to 'anything' (of course some fees and even deposits are OK).. but indeed they are asking 35, and with 'devices' (hob/oven etc ) I'll easily hit 45K then..

Instead if I can "assume" 15 (+10 devices) = 25 it's quite a different discussion...

What's the best approach to get a leicht or nolte kitchen for 'as cheap as is reasonable'? Try to find a local(ish?) kitchen designer who has a deal with them?

My builder will likely be happy to fit the stuff so presumably not even needed to ever come over in person, I can have kitchen dealer in Glasgow for all I care?

• Like 1

For same number of units and drawers, i have found supply only Leict units to be 3x the price of DIY kitchens (8k vs 24k). I can't imagine how I could ever justify that upcost to myself, even if we plan to live here +20 years

• Sad 1

13 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

It baffles me how my Howdens bills have an 80% discount from catalogue price. 

Because they inflate the price by 80% ! ?

I’ll sell you my iPhone for £10,000 . Luckily today I am having a special one off deal of 95% off that price . Please sign here ..........