Customs Clearance + Import Tax + Channel Crossing Fee + Export accompanying document £255.09

willbish

But we agreed a free trade deal with the EU.  There are no tariffs.  Yes you will have to pay UK VAT but surely not EU VAT as well?

So the only justifiable extra costs are some extra forms to fill in.

So either we, the great British public have been lied to and we do not have a free trade deal with the EU?  Or the company are using this as an excuse to make extra charges?

12 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Yes you will have to pay UK VAT but surely not EU VAT as well?

Depends if the EU seller has registered with HMRC as an importer. This is causing a lot of confusion with VAT paperwork. 

@willbish any reason for choosing the delta as it only has two flush plate options and isn’t widely used in the UK..? I can get the frame and WC with soft-close seat in the UK for £400 inc VAT so you’re saving very little shipping from Europe anyway. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, ProDave said:

I take it you told them not to bother?

Absolutely

12 minutes ago, PeterW said:

any reason for choosing the delta as it only has two flush plate options and isn’t widely used in the UK..? I can get the frame and WC with soft-close seat in the UK for £400 inc VAT so you’re saving very little shipping from Europe anyway. 

I was hoping to beat this ebay price, seems there's no point even browsing EU sites, any pointers on where to look?

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

Or the company are using this as an excuse to make extra charges?

This.

My suspicion is that a lot of bawbag consignment companies are using brexit as an excuse to cream some extra cash put of people. A lot of confusion, general consumer doesn't know whats going on and so the sharks are circling.

Such is life. The opportunity to profiteer will always be jumped upon by someone i.e. Covid and hand sanitiser/bogroll.

Bastards.?‍♂️

1 hour ago, ProDave said:

But we agreed a free trade deal with the EU.  There are no tariffs.  Yes you will have to pay UK VAT but surely not EU VAT as well?

So the only justifiable extra costs are some extra forms to fill in.

So either we, the great British public have been lied to and we do not have a free trade deal with the EU?  Or the company are using this as an excuse to make extra charges?

There are no tarrifs ONLY if its manufactured in the EU. Anything actually made outside the EU, but shipped from an EU country will still attract duty.

So its not really a free trade deal, more half of one.

How does a "Grand Total Excluding Tax" include "Import tax"?

It will be interesting to see what happens when the EU adopts the anti-fraud changes that have just been implemented here, in July. 

And to repeat a question above - where's the VAT?

I think it is  what I heard a business rep say on the radio the other day - it will take some time to bed down.

For self-builders, I think one channel I expect to develop is from EU via Ebay.

No problems at all importing from Europe, costing us around £46.00 to customs clear an artic loaded with around £400K of machines. Truck just has to drive through the customs yard and hand over the declaration paperwork. The drivers have said its now much quicker and easier than it was last year. we use UK hauliers to bring our machines in.

The couriers based in Europe have not got their act together tho, loads of delays and they just cant seem to get to grips with the requirements.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ferdinand said:

For self-builders, I think one channel I expect to develop is from EU via Ebay.

Doesn’t get you round the import issue which kicks in at £135 for personal items imported. 

20 minutes ago, markc said:

No problems at all importing from Europe, costing us around £46.00 to customs clear an artic loaded with around £400K of machines. Truck just has to drive through the customs yard and hand over the declaration paperwork.

Agree - I know someone bringing in a lot of stuff from Germany, and the issue seems to be around the paperwork and what is required rather than the process itself. 

22 minutes ago, markc said:

The couriers based in Europe have not got their act together tho, loads of delays and they just cant seem to get to grips with the requirements.

DHL have got it sorted -  I get the waybill and the tax invoices emailed as soon as things are picked up and as long as they are paid before it reaches the UK hub then the process doesn’t slow down. 4PX have built two huge hubs in the UK to manage the China to UK parcels and they are pretty efficient. As entirely expected though, anything arriving via UPS into the UK Royal Mail

system is painfully slow ..!!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ferdinand said:

And to repeat a question above - where's the VAT?

I would try pretending you live in germany and see if the prices change. If not then they include EU VAT and as over £135 you would most likely get to pay UK VAT as well on arrival.

13 hours ago, markc said:

No problems at all importing from Europe, costing us around £46.00 to customs clear an artic loaded with around £400K of machines. Truck just has to drive through the customs yard and hand over the declaration paperwork. The drivers have said its now much quicker and easier than it was last year. we use UK hauliers to bring our machines in.

Alll of this.

The daft bit is, its not a new system. Its the same system everybody throughout europe, and here, would have had to deal with if they were sending or recieving goods from outside the EU.

• Like 1

I lived in Belgium for 10 years until 2007 and came across many EU companies that only delivered within the EU. They didn't have enough customers to warrant the hassle of delivering outside the EU. In some cases they had a deal with courier companies that gave them fixed rates for delivery anywhere in the EU. 

I also found many UK companies wouldn't export across the channel. Typically it was easier to get a company in Germany or Spain to deliver to Belgium than to get a UK company to export. In some cases I found UK companies only had distribution rights for the UK. Once or twice I failed to find a UK company and ended up opdering from a German company that was even happy to deliver COD to Belgium.

It would be easy to underestimate the impact of misconceptions on trade.  I met many that thought ordering from a UK company would mean they had to pay extra VAT because we weren't in the Euro! 

Edited by Temp

• 2 weeks later...

Basically the days of persons individually importing from the EU is gone. If you are a VAT registered company with a EORI number then you can import directly B2B and pay VAT at entry to GB for products made in EU( not Chinese product transiting via EU)

It can be done if you get the paperwork done. All goods bought in EU should be VAT free i.e. you should not pay German VAT of 19% if you are importing into GB

Given that we have always been fleeced by local retailers for EU stuff we are now stuck with their prices

It sounds like the same applies to exports. Numerous companies are looking at moving  jobs abroad so they can do B2B exports to themselves and then B2C within the EU. Even the government is advising companies to do this...

https://www.thelondoneconomic.com/news/relocate-to-eu-to-dodge-brexit-bureaucracy-officials-tell-firms/24/01/

The EU deal is tariff and quota free but all the other friction that's part and parcel of being outside the Customs Union and SM such as conformity and origin etc. now applies. We're also outside the VAT collection scheme so traders need to do this individually with HMRC.

The UK is not currently enforcing its import checks (June?) so we're only seeing half the issue at present.

Yes, some of this will settle down but some will be a permanent fixture as a result of being a 'third country'.

As I read somewhere recently -

• UK developed the single market
  • UK developed the 'third country' rules
  • UK enforced the 'third country' rules
  • UK decided to be a 'third country'....