What white goods.

ZacP

Due to a quirk of fate we will be buying our white goods before we exchange on our plot. Long story, but basically we will need them whilst in rented and we’d rather buy well once then badly twice. 

So we would love to hear what brands you have and if you love/hate them!

Fully intergrated Dishwasher

Fully intergrated Washing machine

Fully intergrated Tumble dryer

or Fully intergrated washer dryer

TIA

Are you going to fit the integrated appliances into the rental place?

We have an integrated Siemens Dishwasher - had it for over 10 years - its very good, I think its one of the upper range models.

We have a freestanding Bosch washing machine - again very good

We have a freestanding Samsung Condensing drier - again very good.

We are most likely going to fit Siemens dishwasher and ovens in our new kitchen (Bora hob)

• Like 1

Quite a few manufacturers make machines for each other.. This is very out of date (2012).. 

https://hubys.co.uk/news-information/2/who-really-makes-your-washing-machine

Sometimes its obvious machines are made by same company as the buttons are in identical places and things like the insides of soap dispensers are the same. Occasionally there are software differences so that the cheaper brand has a slightly slower top spin speed or more limited programs.

We've had good experiences with Bosch appliances. One thing I like is you can buy spare parts from them. Yes some parts are expensive but at least I can get them and fix issues myself.

Edited by Temp

Had a Bosch dishwasher. It lasted just over 10 years. Not bad considering it was very cheaply acquired from a seconds outlet because it was damaged in transit when we bought the first house. (It was an easy fix - simply extract all the small stones from the anti-flood mechanism!) I discovered that integrated and non-integrated Bosch dishwashers were at the time built identically. The difference was that the free standing appliances had more parts bolted to them, and were therefore cheaper! Go figure. We have a Miele dishwasher now and it does seem to be that little fraction better at everything.

The rest of the appliances were Neff. All are integrated and are now 20 years old, and I keep expecting them to fail spectacularly the week before we move out! Apart from the induction hob. That spectacularly let all of the smoke out of one of the two power supplies and since it was over 15 years old there were no new spare parts available. The new hob is not as good as the old one - the controls were seemingly designed by an alien with four hands each with three fingers no thicker than the average pencil, and the response to applying heat and the sizzle in the frying pan changing seems to be artificially slugged by the control system. (As my good lady is often known to say: "I liked it as it was!") Neff and Bosch always used to be the same underneath the label. Not sure if this is still the case.

• 1 month later...

I have a 3.5 year old integrated Neff dishwasher (is a Bosch underneath it’s clothes)... bloody heat pump has failed. 

This is the 3rd dishwasher that I have owned that had heat pump failures. And looking on line it is a very common occurrence, so why the hell are they not made to be easily accessible. Each one needs the dishwasher breaking down into a million bits to replace it. 

The Bosch heater in our dishwasher is prone to failure due to quite minor scale...

The heating element is printed onto the outside of a steel tube. What happens is that a thin layer of scale builds up on the inside of the tube and this insulates the heating element from the water causing it to overheat. You can see where a spot has "blown" and its always at the bottom where scale formsbon the inside. I've had thus happen twice. I now put a bottle of cheap vinegar in the machine every other week to try and prevent it happening.

Edited by Temp

20 minutes ago, Temp said:

The Bosch heater in our dishwasher is prone to failure due to quite minor scale...

The heating element is printed onto the outside of a steel tube. What happens is that a thin layer of scale builds up on the inside of the tube and this insulates the heating element from the water causing it to overheat. You can see where a spot has "blown" and its always at the bottom where scale formsbon the inside. I've had thus happen twice. I now put a bottle of cheap vinegar in the machine every other week to try and prevent it happening.

That’s the exact issue with mine. But I haven’t seen the heater elements for sale on there own (except a bulk buy of 40 units from the US), it’s just part of the heater pump assembly. 

We usually stick to Siemens appliances which have been quite reliable and aren’t crazy expensive. No scale in our water!

Why integrated washer/dryer? Free standing ones tend to be better and better value. I would avoid them unless you absolutely have to have them.

In our laundry room they made us 670mm cabinets and the free standing washer and dryer just sit inside them. But tbh the doors are a nuisance and if they weren’t already there I wouldn’t have them. If you have a heat pump dryer it normally has an air intake so you can’t shut the door when it is running.

Edited by AliG

1 hour ago, Gav_P said:

That’s the exact issue with mine. But I haven’t seen the heater elements for sale on there own (except a bulk buy of 40 units from the US), it’s just part of the heater

Google found one that looks similar to mine here but its  not much cheaper than a whole new assy from ebay....

https://ziperone.com/products/00000024678

Edited by Temp

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Google found one that looks similar to mine here but its  not much cheaper than a whole new assy from ebay....

https://ziperone.com/products/00000024678

Crazy that they are at that kind of price... would anyone but that over a complete unit with pump? 

1 hour ago, Temp said:

Possibly another here for $35 but design looks different.. 

https://www.tubularheater.de/instant-heater-for-dishwasher/57083347.html

That one looks like it’s been made in someone’s shed ?... I have a feeling that isn’t  OE spec. 

I would have thought there would have been a big market just for the heater element tube, but clearly not. Weird. 

1 hour ago, Chanmenie said:

I agree with AliG, I would not fit integrated appliances again, free standing much easier to fit and maintain, and better value for money.

why buy a nice Miele then hide it in a cupboard

Me too. Integrated dishwashers are the devil's work. Utilitarian utilities are where it's at

29 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Have you set the water hardness and do you fill the salt container ..??

Don’t know what ‘set the water hardness’ is, so nope not done that. What is it? 

Yes we do fill the salt regularly. 

21 hours ago, Gav_P said:

58877FDF-8F9B-476A-8D49-5E7DFA8978CA.png
it does cover new purchases up to aug 21 (just off the top of the page in my screen grab).

I have a Samsung fridge freezer with extended guarantee.  Lucky as it has gone wrong 3 times in 2 years.  Engineer due back out for yet another fault.  They are poor quality design and build.

I don't think I would have freestanding appliance in my kitchen purely for the look. Usually use siemens/Bosch/neff and have a mix of that and wolf in this build. Have replaced a few elements in ovens over the years but had good reliability from bosch/neff dishwashers but no hard water here. Washing machine and dryer freestanding in the utility room. 

I have had poor experiences from candy, smeg, hotpoint and zanussi in rented properties, always replaced them with bosch appliances.