Extension- Last Stuff.

Don’t fit the noggins just yet .... just cut the hole, offer up the hatch and screw to the joist

on one side. Pack the other side with a couple of offcuts, then drill and screw through into the joist. Now measure and cut your noggins, flush them up tight to each end and screw in, then screw the noggin to the joists with some 70mm screws. 

Much easier than trying to make the opening first and get it square. 

4 minutes ago, PeterW said:

Don’t fit the noggins just yet .... just cut the hole, offer up the hatch and screw to the joist

on one side. Pack the other side with a couple of offcuts, then drill and screw through into the joist. Now measure and cut your noggins, flush them up tight to each end and screw in, then screw the noggin to the joists with some 70mm screws. 

Much easier than trying to make the opening first and get it square. 

I was going suggest that...but didn't.

I couldn't face the "will it be strong enough without the noggins" etc.

Hang on...he wants to prep it now before he gets the hatch. 

Nothing wrong with my way Zoot, go for it, just use a square.

Edited by Onoff

14 minutes ago, Onoff said:

I was going suggest that...but didn't.

I couldn't face the "will it be strong enough without the noggins" etc.

Hang on...he wants to prep it now before he gets the hatch. 

Nothing wrong with my way Zoot, go for it, just use a square.

That's a good idea by Peter.. understood, I mean if I get the nogs in & one a mite too tight.. urgh that's alot of moaning then. The joists are bound to be not pararlelell. I'll cut my pB along joists for now up to 762mm & make the pB rectangle hole, until hatch here. Semi prep.

Thanks for the sketch btw.. gives me confidence. I have 9mm birch ply.. so can line each joist side ready too.

Just now, zoothorn said:

That's a good idea by Peter.. understood, I mean if I get the nogs in & one a mite too tight.. urgh that's alot of moaning then. The joists are bound to be not pararlelell. I'll cut my pB along joists for now up to 762mm & make the pB rectangle hole, until hatch here. Semi prep.

Thanks for the sketch btw.. gives me confidence. I have 9mm birch ply.. so can line each joist side ready too.

No different to if you line each side with 9mm ply and are a mm too tight! Noggins will move enough with a big hammer. They just do.

56 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Have you noticed Zoot that you've stopped whinging about your ASHP? ?

Cos its warmer, so im not freezing my c*ck off, and damn thing behaves above 4* so i can sleep. Otherwise id moan like a cow.

1 hour ago, Declan52 said:

Don't cut the hole fully till the hatch is beside you and you have measured it and measured it and measured it. Draw with a pencil on the plasterboard the correct size and then cut along the line. 

Ok roger that Declan, that's sensible advice I'll do that. Means im scuppered for a job looking at the walnut whip dalek for a few days tho.

8 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Ok roger that Declan, that's sensible advice I'll do that. Means im scuppered for a job looking at the walnut whip dalek for a few days tho.

You could take the time to pin a Sam Fox/Linda Lusardi/Kathy Lloyd poster directly above your bed like I had as a kid.

Wouldn't be so bad looking up the hole then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Onoff said:

You could take the time to pin a Sam Fox/Linda Lusardi/Kathy Lloyd poster directly above your bed like I had as a kid.

Wouldn't be so bad looking up the hole then.

Im keeping the dalek, tho it does look like he's a bit over excited. Walnut whips & Linda lusardi.. your giving your age away!

I gotta get the thing up with the door on then, just myself. Tubby tubster should've told us his was a '03' as I bought it after watching the clip.. no '03' on his box just gl-250. Maybe I can ask Vaillant guy next friday to lend a hand for a few mins.

7 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Im keeping the dalek, tho it does look like he's a bit over excited. Walnut whips & Linda lusardi.. your giving your age away!

I gotta get the thing up with the door on then, just myself. Tubby tubster should've told us his was a '03' as I bought it after watching the clip.. no '03' on his box just gl-250. Maybe I can ask Vaillant guy next friday to lend a hand for a few mins.

I never liked the coffee Walnut Whips...

They're very light tbh. Use a couple of clamps to hold loosely in place.

1354V_P&$prodImageMedium$

@PeterW you were right.. i only have 3.5 ft in the loft, in midpoint so i dont have room to work, also as i find 2 x 100mm orange fiberglass.. with so much just finding the rafters, repositioning it, and esp adding any more isn't a feasable prospect i dont think.

So a big c*ck up putting this hatch in. Totally my fault. So, now a damage limitation exercise, just put hatch in.

Ive made the pb hole. But i have existing nogs in the way/ hampering putting in the two new short end nogs.