Extension- Last Stuff.

21 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Ive only put up with it this long bc its a grant thing, no way on earth Id still be accepting visits to fix xyz if Id paid for it. I

That should not make any difference, if you paid fir it you must give the installers the first opportunity to rectify it, but if it’s not working (fit fir purpose) you should not have to put up with it. If you bought a car but found it would only do 20mph would you put up with it?.

6 minutes ago, joe90 said:

That should not make any difference, if you paid fir it you must give the installers the first opportunity to rectify it, but if it’s not working (fit fir purpose) you should not have to put up with it. If you bought a car but found it would only do 20mph would you put up with it?.

Well Ive done enough hollerin, Vaillant good & pro enough to take all on the chin, & send person after person out & replace and add things.. to ridiculously little effect admittedly; installers though terrible enough to refuse replying or p/u the phone.

Ive got onto Co above the installers, & at the top of 'chain' overseeing the whole scheme too: pleasant calls back, emails etc... but nothing done, still water leak (worse today I notice) wires and holes. he's told installers to be in touch.. but they've not done so.

So I gotta wade in with more calls/ emails to these two guys > to get onto installers. I mean most would've given up tbh, but I cant afford £60/hr plumber rates to get this leak fixed. Its exhausting. gotta be a month continual wrangling. And its exactly as it was. omg.

Can we all chip in to make joe's little finger rhs 1cm longer?

3 minutes ago, zoothorn said:

Ive got onto Co above the installers, & at the top of 'chain' overseeing the whole scheme

Good, don’t chase them, if you hear nothing back threaten small claims court to rip it all out at their expense. 

43 minutes ago, joe90 said:

Good, don’t chase them, if you hear nothing back threaten small claims court to rip it all out at their expense. 

That sounds like stress tho- being welsh they'll just pull up drawbridge & Im left with this list to sort out.

No Im still going softly-softly, Ive got a new idea of seeing if they'll agree to provide some soundproof stuff.. if I say 'instead of the silencer perhaps?' as I was trying them on this addition, before Vaillant offered to do it. IE no installer work, just provide materials pls.

Bit of a shock on the thermometer: thermostat room's at 18*, compressor gone off.. in new top bedroom: 11.7* (huge rad on for 4 hours). Lordy Ive got to do this hatch/ insulation job pdq now (& door- some cold coming in here).

Can we get joe to swap his o key fir his i key? ir has he git them wring way riund?

• Haha 1

Can someone comment on my temp figures.

Fig (no CH on overnight) in my new top room, at 8am.. 10.9*C. If I put the rad on all day in here (like PeterW suggests alternating between 18* and 20* on thermostat) the max I can get in here is 14.6*. I'm not sure if this is to be expected with this ashp, or what tbh. Or even if its even a relevant 'test' reading. All I know its never once felt warm. An awful lot of effort for very small gain it seems to me.

I don't yet know how to keep heating on overnight, at say 15* (& risk the wretched pump noise coming on if the compressor hits this figure, & idles.. but this is 1st thing to do once overnight pump noise is rid by these boards fix).. or if this is now a "set back" setting. Or do I just dial down the heating figure from say 20* to 15* at 10pm say. Or do I adjust my 10* (currently) to15* into this 'moon symbol' setback night period?

I do have to do the loft asap. So I assume a Q of packing between the 600mm centres (I think 600), joists, without falling thru. Rockwool then put orange fluff back over the  wood joists-? I am really up against it finacially at the mo- so optimal/ very best xyz isn't an option. 1st I got to find these joists to make a hatch- I have a stud detector but no idea how it works/ can 'find' wood, unless witchcraft involved.

thx zH

Is 16.5*, the big number, current room temp in the spare room, with 23* put in as a desired temp.. after heating on for 5 hours  (upped to 1.2 heat curve, upped to 55* rad temp.. tho theyve felt rarely hot all today), is this to be expected-?

In kitchen, with the ch on plus a fan heater on almost continually, hat scarf thermals, but legs, nose/ I'm just deeply cold. I just dont know what to expect from this thing, hot rads or as they are, tepid warm? its driving me mad just understanding what its doing.

Might it be an idea to do a test with an electric heater?

So turn off the ASHP and plug in an electric convection heater of a known power output and put it in one room at a time and measure how long it takes to heat that room to the desired temperature.  That will finally give you a measure of total power needed to heat the house.

At the moment barely warm radiators are not proving anything, other than the ASHP is for some reason struggling to get them hot.

When the installers were back last week, did you actually ask why are all the radiators not hot?

1 minute ago, ProDave said:

Might it be an idea to do a test with an electric heater?

So turn off the ASHP and plug in an electric convection heater of a known power output and put it in one room at a time and measure how long it takes to heat that room to the desired temperature.  That will finally give you a measure of total power needed to heat the house.

At the moment barely warm radiators are not proving anything, other than the ASHP is for some reason struggling to get them hot.

When the installers were back last week, did you actually ask why are all the radiators not hot?

I could do, I do have an electric oil filled rad. Installers never been back, only Vaillant have.

I successfully rejig'd the prviously afaict set-too-low 0.8 curve and 45* flow temp, over the phone to vaillant tech dept, to 1.2 and 55*. And noticed immediately rads better temp ie "4th gear" quite regularly. Last night they seemed a good temp (albeit only getting my top new room to 14.8*).. but today I notice them mostly only in "2nd gear", the odd "3rd gear" period. So the low 16.5* thermostat room figure seems to coincide with this.

So the Q to the chaps wasn't relevant.

I notice today, the rads have only just gone into "4th gear" coincidentally just after last reply. So for 1st time today, they've a chance of getting the rooms a little warm. But 6 hours of rads in "2nd gear" = my top new room from 10.9* at 8am > to 14.5* 2pm.

Its this block period, today of 6 hours, they're only in "2nd gear" I cannot cope with. I asked the vaillant guy about it, as it seemed to be in the morning 1st thing as I said before, & he said yes its on a 'timer' to be quieter until 8am (so it admits it makes some noise then if so) then rads go into "4th gear". Ok can I cahnge this I asked.. yes. so somehow I might be able to. But next day? 7.45am rads were in "4th gear". So his spiel was total BS, or, something else depends on it too he didnt say. Now today, if they're meant to able tio be in "4th gear" from 8am.. they haven't until 2pm.

I hate this thing so much.

Is there anyway that this system can be set to one flow temperature, say 50⁰C and left on that permanently. So no mucking about with different temperatures, or times.

Then see which rooms get warm, and which ones don't.

Then, if necessary, balance the system, see what temperatures the rooms go to.

If, the house gets warm enough, then set some on off times.

So basically set it up like an old gas boiler.

Edited by SteamyTea

4 hours ago, zoothorn said:

Can someone comment on my temp figures.

As I've said before upstairs is probably due to loft insulation.

4 hours ago, zoothorn said:

I do have to do the loft asap. So I assume a Q of packing between the 600mm centres (I think 600), joists, without falling thru. Rockwool then put orange fluff back over the  wood joists-? I am really up against it finacially at the mo- so optimal/ very best xyz isn't an option. 1st I got to find these joists to make a hatch- I have a stud detector but no idea how it works/ can 'find' wood, unless witchcraft involved.

You can always find the screw heads holding the plasterboard to the joists with a detector or small magnets. If you can stretch to increasing the loft insulation to 300mm it will reduce heat loss a lot. Fit the insulation snuggly between the joists and then another layer over the whole lot in the other direction.

Not sure why you need to find a joist Zoot as you’re going to hack a 600x600 square into the PB... I would just knock a circle mid centre ceiling and then measure your way to the joists (which should be at 600 centres) and then square it up from there. If you hit a joist immediately then just work 600 away from it.