Tools

so in an effort to cheer myself up given my builder has done a runner; ime going to top up my tool store ? So, timber build with timber cladding and loads of decking.  Already got a decent mitre saw, hand held circular saw and cheap jigsaw.  whats the next most useful tool to get.  Going to have to cut everything from chamfer for timber infill for RSJ's down to angles and clean cuts for ceder cladding, kitchen worktops, etc. Might also be getting some rough cut oak planks for free to turn into shelves.. and everything in between. Table saw, planer, thicknesser, router? 

7 minutes ago, redtop said:

so in an effort to cheer myself up given my builder has done a runner; ime going to top up my tool store ? So, timber build with timber cladding and loads of decking.  Already got a decent mitre saw, hand held circular saw and cheap jigsaw.  whats the next most useful tool to get.  Going to have to cut everything from chamfer for timber infill for RSJ's down to angles and clean cuts for ceder cladding, kitchen worktops, etc. Might also be getting some rough cut oak planks for free to turn into shelves.. and everything in between. Table saw, planer, thicknesser, router? 

All 4 of your suggestions, obviously !

But you forgot the plunge saw and rails. Honestly it’s one of those pieces of kit you never realised you REALLY needed. 

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

No mention of a simple hand held electric plane or a multi tool in your list. They are essentials.

The multi tool suggestion is an exceedingly good point. Another of those tools where you really don’t know how you managed before you had one. 

Pick a battery technology then buy to match. Stick with one, wether it is LXT, Flex or whatever. 

3 batteries then add impact driver, multi tool and circular saw. Then work out from that  

if you’re doing a lot of sheet work then a decent plunge saw and rail set is a must have. 

8 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

I got to £5000 worth astonishingly quickly 

Very true. I spent around £7k on tools to build my house. I wonder how many people include that cost when calculating cost/m2.

11 minutes ago, AnonymousBosch said:

[....] Consider a tool safe [...]

I have a Van Vault type safe that I got from an auction and replaced the locks on it. Cost about £70 and the locks were £30. I'll sell it on in a couple of months and I'll make my money back.

45 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

[...] I wonder how many people include that cost when calculating cost/m2.

I do.    Erm ... have to.

The plan is to sell off at least some, but keep the Festool stuff that I slid in under the radar. 

Hope SWMBO doesn't read this 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AnonymousBosch said:

Is it worth selling my beautiful Bosch red line (380 GLL 3) and  and buying a green equivlent?

(Please say  - yes - )

I’ve both

Red is  fine indoors out of direct sunlight 

4 hours ago, PeterStarck said:

Very true. I spent around £7k on tools to build my house. I wonder how many people include that cost when calculating cost/m2.

I have - but I daresay I am an outlier in this regard. This comes back to how in my opinion self builders tend to ignore things to convince themselves it was cheaper than it was. Off topic though so I'll say no more. 

I've just bought a brush less impact driver as I have a lot of long screws to put in. I dare say I will add to that family before long, perhaps a multitool though I've never used one before, not sure what i would use it for but everyone seems to say they are a must have!

Edited by LA3222

3 hours ago, LA3222 said:

perhaps a multitool though I've never used one before, not sure what i would use it for but everyone seems to say they are a must have!

I bought my first one only a few years ago and I wished I'd had earlier for some jobs. I bought an Erbauer because I wasn't sure how much use it would get but it's very good for the money.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I bought my first one only a few years ago and I wished I'd had earlier for some jobs. I bought an Erbauer because I wasn't sure how much use it would get but it's very good for the money.

Fab, handy little tool. I bought a bosch, but it used to eat the batteries, so bought a corded Makita. Do love the corded Makita, and it comes with a very long lead.