Shed suppliers

MarkH

I know the general idea on here is: build your own! And I'd usually lean that way. But I've got a shoebox-sized caravan spare room currently overflowing with all our tools, our off grid battery bank and bits, work clothes, stuff... Now our garage slab is poured I'm sorely tempted to order a 20' by 10' shed today and whack it on there asap.

Can anyone recommend a shed company? 

Edited by MarkH
Coherence

My opinion is based on what my mate bought and I helped him put it up. It was a £500 shed and it was an utter piece of flimsy crap. He paid extra for a floor that was made of 1" batten - what a joke!!!  I would rather pay someone to make one from scratch than buy a ready made kit

I'm inclined to agree with the above. Unless you spend a decent amount of money you are going to get a pile of flimsy crap which won't last the length of your build. 

Once you get get into the realm of a well made shed you may as well buy a site cabin second hand and then sell it on. Look after it and you'll likely get most of your money back. 

That's been my findings with bought sheds. As well as being flimsy, they never incorporate any diagonal bracing whatsoever into the frame.  We do have 2 shop bought sheds but both have had the frame upgraded.  See my Pallet shed thread, that has a far more substantial frame and thicker cladding than a bought shed. It might not look pretty but it is far more robust.

My other pet hate is a felted roof. Absolutely the last thing I would put on a shed roof.

If you don't like Stone's container idea, how about a static caravan?  Our local dealer will sell you a "worn out" one for £500 that's suitable as a shed or storage or workshop and you can sell it on when you are done.

Afraid I have to agree with the others. I've got a Yardmaster steel shed/garage which was certainly a cheap (c.£600) way of getting a decent bit of covered storage, but it was an absolute pain to put up, very flimsy, and leaks like a seive! I could probably have built the same sized one in wood, with a galv roof, for half the cost.

The beer bricks would've worked if we'd heard about them a couple of weeks ago... 

Based on the main gist of the above - bought sheds are crap - I'm going to price materials to self build something tomorrow. Don't really want to go down the container/site cabin/caravan route as they'd have to get in here and be manouvered onto the garage slab which now the house is at floor level would be tricky. 

Iirc, @iSelfBuild ( Richard ) stick built on site so, if he's blogged it, you may well pick up some good tips there for making cassettes / pre fab'ing / constructing a timber structure on site ;).

If you have a slab to work off then I'd make cassettes and just flick them up onto position. That's what I intend to do for the man-shed, along with homemade trusses. Hire a nailer, get some OSB and treated 4x2, fill the fridge with beer and get cracking ;)  

The only one I could find second hand was only about £600 but it was showing significant signs of wear and was only 18 months old - not sure if this was just down to poor maintenance and placement but I wasn't that impressed as it equated to a £1000 loss over 18 months. 

A 20ft container can be had for around £800 and with delivery of £200 it's still got a resale value of nearly that after 18 months so it's difficult to justify the flat pack one without a decent range of second hand values. 

I was in town today and called in at the big orange shed. Out of curiosity I had a look at the sheds they had on display.  To get a shed the same size as my pallet shed, would have cost £400 all bar a few pence.

I wasn't expecting it to be wonderful, but it was far worse than I had expected. The cladding timber was probably little over 1/4" thick. The frame appeared to be little bigger than 1" square sections. There was no diagonal bracing relying on just the nails in the flimsy planks to give it rigidity.  If you leaned on one corner of it, you could flex the structure and make it wobble.  If I bought one of those and put it up in my garden, I would be amazed if it lasted one Highland winter without collapsing in a pile.

I asked this on ebuild and it was quickly established that sheds were rubbish.

Even if you don't use pallets like Dave, I'd be surprised if a stick built shed cost much than one of these kits - in the smaller sizes I'm looking at.

I did a back-of-envelope costing for a 4.8x6m garage, built in 2x4 framing, galv roof, larch cladding same as my house. Came to about a grand for the materials, plus whatever base it would need, plus door. You could use a cheaper roof, and cheaper osb in place of the larch. 

10 minutes ago, Steptoe said:

I bought a 12'x8'  18mm T&G tannalised shed about 5 years ago, 2x1 and 3x1&1/2 uprights, about £700 iirc, I couldn't have built it for <£1k

Where from? that sounds interesting.

I found a 1960s shed in pieces at the back of my garage and have stuck that up but one day want to have another. 

I've been given two old sheds. The first one is I think 8'x6 (or is it 10'x8'?)'. I dug out the sloping site, did a concrete base, built a dwarf wall with some stocks dating to 1863 along the front, raised the shed, made a new door etc:

SAM_7131_zps60fca414.jpg

SAM_7217_zps402ee44d.jpg

SAM_7265_zpsbdfd0182.jpg

SAM_7329_zpsb4906bb6.jpg

SAM_7363_zps69e35bfc.jpg

Tbh, WTF did I bother? Next to huge overhanging conifers it's too small and damp. I royally effed up to by experimenting with DIY insulation.....straight onto the wood:

SAM_7465_zps592abc30.jpg

Result? Damper than a damp thing. All the T&G is fecked and opening up on the outside. And too small.

The other shed is just sitting under tarps where it will probably stay. A bit bigger, flat roof, but needs more work to repair.

I should have converted both to firewood and sold it in bags down at the gate. Then put the cash towards something like Barney has done!

Edited by Onoff
  • Like 1

On 18/10/2016 at 13:12, daiking said:

Where from? that sounds interesting.

I found a 1960s shed in pieces at the back of my garage and have stuck that up but one day want to have another. 

Got it from a company in the midlands,

I'll have a dig around and see if I still have any details.

• 1 month later...

After all that talk about crappy off-the-shelf sheds and photos of people's projects I pretty much had to build my own. Here it is:

DSC_0534.JPG

Yeah, the window is off-center - measure twice...

Edited by MarkH
  • Like 1