Laser level recomendation

cwr

21 hours ago, pocster said:

I did purchase a spinny laser initially for foundations and stuff . Very hard to see the dot in daylight but had a beepy sensor handheld unit - beeped when inline .

All very expensive; so I bought a cheap eBay job straight from China . About a fifth of the cost - still works great now .

@pocster Got any details? - might invest in one of these before I start digging big holes

Edited by BotusBuild

2 minutes ago, pocster said:

I can check later it was some time ago !

I quickly looked on eBay for just ‘rotating laser’ and £200 ish ...

Amazon also £170 for kit - looks similar to mine . Also if it’s crap you can just send it back  - foraver I think amazon one is .

1 hour ago, Vijay said:

Should have just made up profile sticks. Set a datum point and then just use that stick to make sure you got every layer of bricks right. That's what I did when I built my garage years ago ;)

Mr Twat here:

I oh so carefully marked 75mm graduations up my steel post and made a jig. The footings 4 courses came out a treat with a lovely 10mm mortar gap between each. 

Then not thinking, tired, rushing, whatever I went wrong putting muck on a welded support angle when there should have been none. Threw everything out and I missed the chance to correct it. 

IMG_20190802_175547433

Abandoned the jig thereafter and did the rest by eye.

Trouble is I'm starting the other pillar tomorrow. If I do it "better" will it stand out? ?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Onoff said:

Mr Twat here:

I oh so carefully marked 75mm graduations up my steel post and made a jig. The footings 4 courses came out a treat with a lovely 10mm mortar gap between each. 

Then not thinking, tired, rushing, whatever I went wrong putting muck on a welded support angle when there should have been none. Threw everything out and I missed the chance to correct it. 

IMG_20190802_175547433

Abandoned the jig thereafter and did the rest by eye.

Trouble is I'm starting the other pillar tomorrow. If I do it "better" will it stand out? ?

Top job Mr. Twat ! ?

31 minutes ago, Ferdinand said:

Why do you need two?

To double check things?

Probably fire one at each diagonal corner so my lad can work one side and me the other. Will that work?

Who knows, I ain't no bricky!

Edited by Onoff

• 2 months later...

Reviving an old thread, I know, but I've been looking at some Chinesium laser levels, most at stupid-cheap prices. Two new questions come up:

1) I understand the "3D 12 line" concept - it actually projects three laser beams along the three dimensional planes, so if you put the device in a cube (eg, a room) you get two crossing lines on each wall. But the latest ones are "4D 16 line" devices. Actually we are talking about a device that projects a fourth laser plane horizontally, so you get two horizontal lines on each wall. You have no control over how far apart these lines are, so how is this useful?

2) Some devices are being marketed with a blue line laser. I know the green lasers are meant to be more visible in daylight than the red ones, but does anyone know what the blue lasers are about?

1 hour ago, Stewpot said:

Reviving an old thread, I know, but I've been looking at some Chinesium laser levels, most at stupid-cheap prices. Two new questions come up:

1) I understand the "3D 12 line" concept - it actually projects three laser beams along the three dimensional planes, so if you put the device in a cube (eg, a room) you get two crossing lines on each wall. But the latest ones are "4D 16 line" devices. Actually we are talking about a device that projects a fourth laser plane horizontally, so you get two horizontal lines on each wall. You have no control over how far apart these lines are, so how is this useful?

2) Some devices are being marketed with a blue line laser. I know the green lasers are meant to be more visible in daylight than the red ones, but does anyone know what the blue lasers are about?

If you require a spinny laser buy the cheap Chinese stuff off eBay . I had no issues !

if you require a really nice vertical and horizontal line level laser I recommend the dewalt . It was hard to justify the cost so I got a 2nd hand one off eBAy - now , I don’t know how I managed without it !!

• 7 months later...
1 hour ago, cwr said:

Huepar worth getting, as a value for money brand?

I have one of those, but alas no detector thingy. It works well inside but is very hard to see outside over more than a couple of metres until it gets dark. Then next door can see it and think an alien invasion is happening. Mine appears to be sufficiently accurate for everything I've asked of it - most difficult was a height comparison over 15m distance.

I used a more expensive red rotary laser with a detector-on-a-stick for getting the level of my blockwork because it was conveniently available.

• 2 months later...

So I finally went ahead and purchased the Huepar level and detector with my birthday money. Used it in anger for the first time last weekend leveling the workshop foundation shuttering, and then the first course of footing blocks this morning. 

What an excellent job. I can only imagine using the old traditional 2 man optical level, would still be at it...

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 24/10/2020 at 15:02, cwr said:

So I finally went ahead and purchased the Huepar level and detector with my birthday money. Used it in anger for the first time last weekend leveling the workshop foundation shuttering, and then the first course of footing blocks this morning. 

What an excellent job. I can only imagine using the old traditional 2 man optical level, would still be at it...

I got one of the Huepar 603CG laser and the LR-6RG receiver. Whatever I did, the receiver would not detect, so it went back and I got the LR-5RG receiver which arrived today and that doesn't seem to work either. Before anyone asks, yes, I did put the laser onto Pulse Mode as per the instructions.

Reading reviews on eBay and Amazon, I am now seeing a lot of 1* reviews mentioning the exact same problem.

Anyone else got the above models? Had any problems? I am hoping that it is not the laser unit itself that is a fault.

4 minutes ago, BotusBuild said:

I got one of the Huepar 603CG laser and the LR-6RG receiver. Whatever I did, the receiver would not detect, so it went back and I got the LR-5RG receiver which arrived today and that doesn't seem to work either. Before anyone asks, yes, I did put the laser onto Pulse Mode as per the instructions.

Reading reviews on eBay and Amazon, I am now seeing a lot of 1* reviews mentioning the exact same problem.

Anyone else got the above models? Had any problems? I am hoping that it is not the laser unit itself that is a fault.

If the laser unit is showing a strong beam then its ok. i woulkd check the cover / lens for dirt as this can scatter the beam and detectors cant see it against daylight

On 07/01/2021 at 16:59, BotusBuild said:

I have both the 603CG and LR-6RG units and both worked flawlessly for me. My  first lazer level developed a fault after about a year where the horizontal lazer stopped working but Huepar replaced it immediately under warranty. With the sensor, I found I could get a little water behind the sensor screen when used in the rain for a long period. That obviously impacted accuracy but only started doing it after I'd had it, and probably abused it, for a long time. 

I've been really impressed  with both the quality and accuracy of this setup so far and mine has not had an easy life.

If it's any help for your diagnostic purposes, I've found that the brightness of the lazer reduces when the pulse mode is turned on.

I'd recommend you fire off an email directly to Huepar as I found their service very good when my first unit developed its problem.

• Thanks 1