nod

Grand Designs

9 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Yeah that one may come back to bite us on the arse. This was the, normally little, burn that runs at the back of our plot on Friday, I also have a new burn running through the middle of the plot.

at least you have now seen the worst it could possibly get and design accordingly

Just now, ProDave said:

The bigger danger for us, is further up the burn passes under the road through a culvert.  In the 2006 flood, the culvert got blocked by debris and the burn spilled onto the road, ran down the road and into the first entrance. My neighbours house was completely encircled by water, but none got into the houses.

I really should keep some sand bags handy in case that ever happens again.

You could be describing our plot. The stream backed up at the culvert on Friday and flooded the road. 

Just now, scottishjohn said:

at least you have now seen the worst it could possibly get and design accordingly

Very true, I mapped out all the flooding on Friday to start sorting out the drainage and landscaping.

On a positive note i like the idea of being able to Kayak in the garden 👍

I had something like that with a Brook at the bottom of a field.

Every few years the bottom of the field would be flooded.

I was glad it was at the bottom of the field :-).

Best of luck.

I admire the tenacity of the self builders here who have pulled off their builds/dreams. I pulled out of mine this year as the costs far exceeded the value of the house and my ability to bridge the gap. Am considering van life for a few months of the year now but I've a very leaky bucket of outgoings including a mortgage and wonder if it's possible. Very different to what I was envisaging a year ago! For those with no noise of traffic and only nature, that's a gift!