Constructive Pessimism. Useful?

My business partner who is a total pessimist wanted to set up a consultancy business called something like JUST SAY NO, it would work by people taking their ideas to him of how they would make their first million, he would tear the idea to bits and tell them not to do it. 

• Like 1

I think without it we would all make far more mistakes by not allowing for other things we have not yet thought of.

my mantra is "If I didn,t t have bad luck --I would have no luck at all" or "if it can go wrong --it will" or "always lands butter side down "

then when i do get some I,m happily suprised for a change .

so yes I,m getting close to a terminal pessimist 

I wonder why i keep pushing so hard to find this plot to make my life even harder .Lol

5 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

I think without it we would all make far more mistakes by not allowing for other things we have not yet thought of.

my mantra is "If I didn,t t have bad luck --I would have no luck at all" or "if it can go wrong --it will" or "always lands butter side down "

I wonder why i keep pushing so hard to find this plot to make my life even harder .Lol

If you keep on "pushing" the same way you will always get the same result, nothing to do with luck, which IMHO is perception.

8 hours ago, scottishjohn said:

There’s a song about that... for any blues fans: 

23 hours ago, Russell griffiths said:

My business partner who is a total pessimist wanted to set up a consultancy business called something like JUST SAY NO, it would work by people taking their ideas to him of how they would make their first million, he would tear the idea to bits and tell them not to do it. 

I have wanted to do something similar for new products.  Most of them are total shit, like my upright vacuum cleaner.

The hose goes in at the top, so if vacuuming the stairs, and one starts at the top of them, the f***ing thing falls down on top of you.

I can tell you that it really hurts.

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, SteamyTea said:

I have wanted to do something similar for new products.  Most of them are total shit, like my upright vacuum cleaner.

The hose goes in at the top, so if vacuuming the stairs, and one starts at the top of them, the f***ing thing falls down on top of you.

I can tell you that it really hurts.

So learn from the experience and start from the bottom.

• Like 1