Jump to content

MikeSharp01

Members
  • Posts

    5693
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    16

Everything posted by MikeSharp01

  1. Do you know what system these were used in / on. My experiance of Allen Bradley is as part of process control systems which might explain why they don't start as the BIOS might be awaiting an input from an external system. Just a thought.
  2. Good to see that you are over your self deprocating of this morning. How about this one. https://www.appliancesdirect.co.uk/p/f170h/white-knight-f170h-freestanding-freezer
  3. 8 minutes - on the TUBE!
  4. what did you have on the front end to pull in the signals?
  5. With your handy spectrum analyser one supposes. I have an old HP unit, weighs about 50Kg but it only goes up to 2GHz perhaps I could transvert it
  6. Ok - so an interesting evening with the Cleeve Hill project team. I know a little bit more about the project, a lot more about my neighbours and the pros and cons as they see it. and something of the driving force businesses behind it. I met with the ecology team and they took me through quite a lot of the work they have been doing and it is clear that the wildlife will, assuming they do what they say they will do, will be fine and perhaps better off than they are now. While I was having this discussion we got a little waylaid by one of my neighbours who said that the one good thing about the scheme, she was in favour of no other aspect, would be that there would be no more nitrate run off from the 890 acres as it would no longer be farmed. Sheep will not graze because the panels will be too low and as they are arranged - see below they will provide too much shade so little will grow other than along the ditch margins of which there is about 2 miles in the scheme. I spoke with the technical team who had not done an energy compare between the energy from the crops and / or the solar farm. Interestingly another neighbour had written a note on the large map which said surely we should not be giving over the food potential just to get solar energy! The arrangement of the panels is interesting: They will be arranged in rows of ridges running north south with panels facing East and west on either side with a low angle of 8deg. This allows then to get more panels in as they can touch at the ridge and at the gully with almost no gap. This also gives a flatter output curve but without the midday peak! The battery technology is yet to be announced but their reasoning is that they will want to use the latest technology and they assume that by 2019 - when the battery goes in, the technology will be twice as good as it is now. The low angle and east / west orientation allays my fears about glare during the low sun periods. I then spoke to the developer - the MD of HIVE, on the matter of community involvement. He said he thought that my suggestion of allowing the locals to buy into the panels at their bulk price was a good one and he felt that the panel price would be well under £100 per panel (33p/W). I agreed to follow it up with him. That price roughly aligns with my reading of the trends in panels over the last couple of years.
  7. just clearing up on site and off to the consultation event in the village hall - will let you all know what they have to say for themselves!
  8. Oh-er where does that leave your stuff - back in their repository or on the type 1 - ready to be snowed on
  9. Inclusions or incursions?
  10. We decided to have a second panel that split the power between the two buildings as there was not room in the meter panel for the distribution switches (IMO) it could have been squeezed in but the switch fuse idea that @ProDave suggests might not make it into your box either. So our meter panel looks a bit likes yours but without the very smart meter and the second panel distributes the power to the main house CU and the garden room CU in your case you could substitute the piggery CU for the garden room. PS the excel panel (will eventually) provides a few additional outputs including the garden lighting, a car charger point and a local commando socket for outdoor power.
  11. In ours - when it is built, the water will rush down the wetroom shower trap, 20mm lower than the floor, what with the water and the UFH I expect the house would become a steam room!
  12. Don't agree fully Dave as our little villager if built up at night and then fully damped it stays burning, albeit at a very low output, and will reignite in the morning when you open the dampers.
  13. Can you point to the evidence for this as it stopped me putting a light to the Woodburner this morning in favour of letting the LPG fueled central heating stay running. Sadly I cannot do the test as I only have two diesel cars
  14. These are part of the union's individual rules - as I understand it we can make our own.
  15. Only think about, let alone do, this if you really understand the risks. I am no expert but there has been loads about this switch in the press and only a very small subset of the pension holders can make this work for them in the long term. Essentially the main case is if you have a second pension / income that you can live on then its worth doing, sadly the other case is where you have a life limiting illness and you want to have cash now for treatment or the just doing the things you always wanted to do.
  16. As I understand it you get the first 25% of every draw down tax free - so I don't think you can take the 25% tax free portion in one lump and leave the rest. I will be happy to be corrected on that one.
  17. Perhaps Sharia then... Its a cooperative effort no lending or borrowing - technically not benefiting from lending or borrowing I think!
  18. V funny - for recursion see recursion, I took meta as meaning somewhat abstract - middle men / women who provide the service but somewhat abstract from it by the process of linking, in the case of P2P, people together in a virtual space - while taking a cut. So as far as you are concerned you are linked to a peer but in fact this link could be of almost limitless abstraction depending on the set up. It is, after all, a form of financial engineering is it not.
  19. Crowd funding is a bit of an umbrella term covering a number of models some of which are charitably based, others commercial and others personal. They do not all have a repayment model some have an in kind return - IE a free flight in the restored airplane or free product from the first production batch others have a share concept with returns based on dividends. Peer to peer has been discussed here before and is more commercial. Both are largely unregulated and are delivered through on-line platforms some of which buffer the risks in the Peer to peer space I have not come across any buffering by the intermediary (meta middlemen) in the crowdfunding space.
  20. Sorry Jeremy didn't mean to imply anything else, I think your post was clear in setting out the context and the product, I was perhaps too free with the term - I have edited my post.
  21. I have a little MAKITA one which just does two axis, great for most activity - never quite worked out why you would need three axis - but I am confident I will be told. I also have a concern that mine, and the others I played with before I purchased, project lines about 3-4 pencil line widths wide which I find frustrating 0.3mm wide would be ideal and not technically difficult but none of those I tried came close, in the end I try and mark in the centre of the line.
  22. One last blast, if me learned friend pleases. - Godwin's law is perhaps like several forms of speech / conversational signposts that prey on the limited knowledge of people - very few have knowledge of similar despots so the number of options, when a particular situation occurs in conversation is limited to the use of common mode similes such as the person above mentioned. Returning to Solar farms then we might surmise that this thread has just about exhausted the solar farm discussion. We have ranged from members experience of growing hemp - purely in the interests of science, to the calorific value of various crops, swung by the general mastication (I hope I spelled that right) of sheep and their propensity to chew on wires, via the visual impact of the farm on the marshes - it will be visible from the main drag the A299, meandered past the need for nuclear power, discussed getting in the bulk cells deal and the even more burgeoning need for energy storage. All in - with a couple of side tracks into new words and two unmentionable subjects the B word and H word, not a bad basis for my discussion with will no doubt be a very slick sales team at the consultation next week. Thanks all.
  23. When I started this thread I had no idea it would go the way it has gone. One thing I have learned - and in learning I have coined (not BIT) a new word for the dictionary. 'BRENTROPY' after James R Newman, and to a certain extent thermodynamics, in that every conversation tends to Brexit unlike entropy in James's definition where everything tends to "death and disorder". At the core of my definition however lies the concept of uncertainty which seems to not unreasonably sum it up. Ho Hum.
  24. Sad thread Dave and most frustrating for you. Being caught up a situation beyond your making and control is unenviable. We all feel for you - keeping the faith and persevering will get you through it.
  25. MikeSharp01

    Gates

    Serious engineering though...
×
×
  • Create New...