Thanks all. I've wiped myself up off the floor now, and it's time to find a solution. In response to some questions asked:
- Unfortunately we didn't pay by credit card. He wouldn't accept credit card at the time. Citzens Advice said there is no obligation for them to accept credit card. 😬
- Self build insurance doesn't cover things like this. Well ours doesn't. 😬
- I have contacted the insolvency practice dealing with the company with the hope of registering a claim. Apparently an auction house collected all the factory machinery this morning (they also fabricate windows) but whatever sums are raised will probably be swallowed up by HMRC and insolvency fees. As @Temp says, we'll probably be last in the queue.
- @lizzie @Ferdinand @Christine Walker VELFAC are trying to source a VELFAC approved contractor who can come in as zero notice, and in the meantime will store the windows free of charge. This is good but they haven't found anyone yet and depending on the timescales this will impact heavily on all our trades who are booked in for after the wind and watertight hurdle.
- @Mr Punter the_r_sole: The installers' employees have offered to fit the glass into the SCHUCO sliders they fabricated for us (a separate order), but not the VELFAC windows. In any regard it's not such a great deal. £700 cash to fit two huge panes of glass into the frames on the proviso they take no responsibility for damaging the glass in the process. The glass was abandoned against our hedge mid-job — No wrapping. No packaging. Just leaning against the hedge. — and the longer it's left there and not in the frames, the more susceptible it is to damage. Eddie Rigby of ERAluform really is a bastard! But then, as my husband says, if he'd have gone bump a day earlier we wouldn't have the glass that we paid for either. 🧐
So - if there are any installers out there who want to fit these two panes of glass (4 men required as they're 2.8m x 2.4m each), then please stand up, please stand up..
- @Lesgrandepotato That's really interesting. I'll speak to VELFAC about this. Then, I could potentially get local (non approved) installers in.
Thanks @Moira Niedzwiecka for the recommendation of Paul from PAB. I'll ask the question.
Q. @craig Have you installed VELFAC before? - feel free to PM me direct. (Thanks AnonymousBosch for the recommendation) Fancy being put on their £400 training course?!
Q. Has anyone used a non-approved installer and fallen foul of VELFAC's warranty? (I presume it's the same for rational/ Internorm?)