-
Posts
5693 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
16
Everything posted by MikeSharp01
-
List of articles for budget and/or specifying
MikeSharp01 replied to Robert Clark's topic in Project & Site Management
All builds are different the HBB will price up stuff but only if you know what stuff you need and so any list will be of use. -
what a great collection of 'stuff'!
-
Welcome to THE forum for self builders, accept no imitations and good luck.
-
List of articles for budget and/or specifying
MikeSharp01 replied to Robert Clark's topic in Project & Site Management
I think that @JSHarris has a spreadsheet, probably somewhere here or on his blog site, of everything he spent on his build, might be a good starting point as it is a comprehensive list. -
Yes we have spent about £4K now, and I may need a bit more to keep the roofers happy when the time comes, but I figure it will sell when that time comes.
-
yes I have a drum of rope just for that, didn't help last weekend though as tarpauline, well fixed down, we have over part of the build, protecting the TYVEK from UV, shredded itself into whisps of blue plastic proceeded to create what I most like to think a replica of the spaghetti trees of the April fool done by the BBC all over our neighbors trees, I spent a few happy hours getting it all down into plastic sack and then putting the spare tarp up.
-
Anyone fitted a pre-charged aircon unit?
MikeSharp01 replied to Jeremy Harris's topic in Air Source Heat Pumps (ASHP)
So running some UFH tails, from the ASHP, to some MVHR in duct fan coil units for the upstairs MVHR junction box would make sense then? I guess you may need a couple of coil units in the line to get enough throughout / output. As you say if you have spare capacity, those of us following along can avoid the need for air conditioning units all over the place. Sorry - do you have an stack ventilation upstairs? -
Heat loss and running cost
MikeSharp01 replied to Jeremy Harris's topic in Energy Efficient & Sustainable Design Concepts
Completely missed that - interesting read. Got a question and will pop that on the end of the thread above.- 31 replies
-
- insulation
- heat loss
-
(and 4 more)
Tagged with:
-
Heat loss and running cost
MikeSharp01 replied to Jeremy Harris's topic in Energy Efficient & Sustainable Design Concepts
Sorry Jeremy did I miss something you now have air con, or does this refer to your reversible ASHP / slab and the possibilities of cooled air via the MVHR?- 31 replies
-
- insulation
- heat loss
-
(and 4 more)
Tagged with:
-
We are using Kwikstage some of which I got from @PeterW and several other places. It is easy at the Lower levels but harder when you don't have a head for heights as I don't.
-
Well done, one down - one up. I got a load more at the weekend and have spent the last two days putting it up.
-
No @Oz07you must build it up in thin layers unless you have industrial equipment the ride in compactors- the knobbly wheeled things you see building roads, and similar sized rollers. On a self build 50mm layers is about a you can be sure of with a self propelled vibrating roller.
-
The drains should be laid in Pea single, We had exactly the same situation and I used the sub base to create channels along the pipe runs then filled these with pea shingle and once I had 50mm pea above the pipe I could cover again with type 1. So there were places across the slab where the pipe was buried below 100mm Type 1 and 50mm pea single and one the other side the pipe was above the sub base level with visible pea shingle and, in our passive slab case, I had to shape the EPS 50mm. The SE said the concrete of the slab and its reinforcement would bridge there bare pipe portion and type 1 actually compacts very little below 50mm down provided it is compacted in 50mm layers.
-
Directly connecting IoT devices to the Internet
MikeSharp01 replied to TerryE's topic in Boffin's Corner
It seems to men that several things are fundamental and at the moment some of them contradict one another. So 1. It cannot be an internet of things if no things are connected to it. (Intranets are of course possible and likely if not connected to the internet.) 2. Things connected to an internet of things must be securely connected. 3. There are millions of things that are already connected to the internet with varying levels of security and so it mist be feasible. EG Servers, routers, switches ....... 3. There is a chance that IOT is just a fad and so might be overtaken by other systems. 4. Simply put the objective of the technology is communications (between things and things, people and things, people and people etc), the enabling technology is electronics and the controlling technology is software- mostly written by humans. 5. Once you add and idea to existing ways of doing things you add infinite new possibilities for this new combination of ideas. So while you add a device you also add opportunities for ne'er-do-wells as well as improving the general lot. It will come. When I got my first mobile phone in 1986 people told me it would never catch on! -
Wind spinners/ mini turbines?
MikeSharp01 replied to Moira Niedzwiecka's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
We saw these in UTAH earlier in the year and purchased one, can't imagine it will generate much electricity but it does generate a lot of interest -
Power consumption, summer?
MikeSharp01 replied to JamesJJJ's topic in Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR)
Welcome to THE forum - there will be people who understand in depth along shortly. Sorry @PeterW this post crossed with yours and was not intended to insult. -
Not if you are building a studio flat 20 square meters only 60k.
-
Kevin McClod on Self Build
MikeSharp01 replied to SteamyTea's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Yes some one I know who ran a software business would always double the figure he was given by his software engineering team before send out the tender - needless to say he retired happy and rich! -
Thanks, that is very clear and a bit frightening. I think that is £4K on our windows, makes you think! So far I have managed +/- 2mm (X/Y/Z) on the build against the drawings so in theory I should get the window openings about there from the drawings so its just a case of deciding what to do. 83 days to get them ordered and delivered, lets see what the suppliers say?
-
I do not wish to discuss BREXIT and this is not an opportunity to do so and I appreciate that we may or may not have tariffs. We are close to ordering our windows and I was wondering what the WTO tariff was on windows so I could work out the cost risk of buying before the frame is finished or waiting until it is. I looked on the WTO site but was confused by much of it but I think the sector code 441810 anybody got any insights on this narrow focus?
-
I think there is a blocky version you can use. Bingo - that is the base case you create the GUI as you have to be able start / stop the app but once started you can leave it running on the phone or suspend it when the window is not visible - close it and it stops.
-
You need the android SDK, you can then work in JAVA, it is simple once you get your head around the way Android wants things done - page based is simplest but you can write background apps if you want. Where exactly are you stuck?
-
Welcome to THE forum. Do you have pic of the space above the door, I am struggling to be sure I have a clear picture of what you are trying to do!
-
Welcome to THE forum for self builders. Sounds like you might be underestimating your own capabilities if you read here carefully you will find that the challenge is most often not the building skills but the emotional / psychological / financial stresses and strains that crop up along the way. Mike
-
Welcome to THE forum for self builders.
