-
Posts
5693 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
16
Everything posted by MikeSharp01
-
OK so now we know where to blame...
MikeSharp01 replied to MikeSharp01's topic in Environmental Building Politics
Yes - so EPC A houses get a 20% reduction in council tax, and there is no stamp duty on sales, then down in 10% increments so EPC C gets 0% reduction while homes below C start paying more council tax and the stamp duty rises steeply. That would be an incentive although it might need finessing and we would probably need a very much more transparent EPC assessment system. -
I guess we already knew things were bad and here is a bit more evidence that .GOV.UK are really pretty useless when it comes to making our homes use less energy. Headline says it all: Two-thirds of UK homes 'fail on energy efficiency targets' https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-50573338 Depressing or what... particularly where our learned friend from Cambridge tells us what needs to happen to meet our own expectations when you know what / who is in the driving seat - vested interest!
-
Save all the phaff recycle the knives and 'just eat' (Deliveroo or whatever)
- 12 replies
-
- 2
-
-
-
- kitchen
- knife storage
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Timber frame self-build in Cornwalll
MikeSharp01 replied to Omnibuswoman's topic in Introduce Yourself
Welcome to THE forum for self builders and like minded individuals - enjoy your build it's a journey not a thing of instants. -
As long as it is toughened You can do it yourself but take care of the fixings.
-
We used the 6 coat system from Dulux - brilliant paint but 6 coats - I ask you.
-
Don't forget that BC sign off signifies complete so you may run into VAT reclaim issues for dates after that EG getting the VAT back on the kitchen might be problematic if invoice date after sign off.
-
I would just get a solicitors letter and countersue, in the sense of saying we will not pay up and we will be looking for damages to cover all the remedial work, the cost of an investigation by a competent person into the quality and any delay costs incurred by you. Also you will be writing to all the trade bodies, they are members of, with photographs of the work and a copy of the investigation. See if that gets them back to the table. Never let a bully win.
-
Just for clarity - call for heat means 'heat to store required' rather than 'heat to be supplied to flow now DHW required'? Either way it is worse than crazy that such a signal is not available? I guess they already know though.
-
Sounds odd lets hope there is an obvious answer - like is the Eddi unit mixing up the units?
-
Welcome Arty - to THE forum for self builders and like minded types, enjoy your time here.
- 1 reply
-
- 1
-
-
Perhaps not a good reason not to own a Tesla, or at least if you do, don't play video games while driving. https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-51645566
-
Exterior paint recommendations: window reveals
MikeSharp01 replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Windows & Glazing
We have used the water based 3 product / 6 coats / 10 year guarantee system from Dulux - any RAL is possible. It its a PITA to apply that number of coats but it is a lovely paint -
Advice? is this quote a TAD expensive
MikeSharp01 replied to SteveM1971's topic in Roofing, Tiling & Slating
Feels wrong too much - does it include all the scaffolding and are you in central London? -
Dipping a toe into MVHR
MikeSharp01 replied to Moonshine's topic in Mechanical Ventilation with Heat Recovery (MVHR)
I am also struggling with this although, think I know where each plenum is going, at the point of providing all the infrastructure, holes in I joists etc, I am held up because I cannot get my total duct air resistance much below the Passive house total of 100 Pa (This doc refers) and balancing the recommended 30M3 per bedroom with the total extract recommendation. Anyone have the air resistance data for the 90mm ducting, have found it for the 75mm ducting (Page 5) but think I may have to use 90mm, cos of overall resistance, but cannot find a reference for the resistance data! -
Recent weather and whistling in shower
MikeSharp01 replied to ryder72's topic in Bathrooms, Ensuites & Wetrooms
Shower more frequently? We have the same problem with a bath that no body uses much and when the trap empties you get a nasty smell so I just run the bath tap every so often to keep it topped up but it is a pain.. -
I have the internal walls on the first floor going up and I initially thought I would build them on the joists but I have been told that I could just put the whole floor down, 22mm Kaber protect+, and build them on that - thus making things a bit simpler, somewhat safer when building and more fireproof when finished does that sound about right? (There are a couple of places where structural beams go up through and these will not sit on the floor panels as they may crush!)
-
I think I might be more concerned about the router brand!
-
But - who is listening......
-
Small dreams - minor/major? cock ups.
MikeSharp01 replied to simplepimple's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
Hey ho - there will be bumps in the road but stick to it and the rewards will follow. Small wins help and once we get into the sunlit uplands of spring and you really crack on .... our experiance with the neighbours has been good but they were, and still are, a bit worried about our rather 'out there' design. -
Welcome to THE forum for self builders and like minded people of all kinds - a friendly place where help is never far away, but I guess that is why you joined - enjoy.
-
You could recess the outlet into the external brickwork so it was flush and therefore is on you land!
-
Ban on Sale of Coal / Wet Wood
MikeSharp01 replied to Ferdinand's topic in Stoves, Fires & Fireplaces
Just because we are paranoid it does not mean they are not out to get us? -
Ban on Sale of Coal / Wet Wood
MikeSharp01 replied to Ferdinand's topic in Stoves, Fires & Fireplaces
Challenging for steam buffs like me who like to move the logs down to the house by train - what will I do with all my spare time? -
Yes we have one on order now but I guess I will have follow @Jeremy Harris and create a UPS backed up system.
- 6 replies
-
- full fibre connection
- voip
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
