Jump to content

MikeSharp01

Members
  • Posts

    5693
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    16

Everything posted by MikeSharp01

  1. Frustrating but not terminal yet - we have had very bad weather and things run slow in such conditions. I would give them a couple more weeks to the 27th and see how the land lies then.
  2. Asda / Morrisions on A2 about 118p/l Diesel at the moment.
  3. Our Guy is based in Kent, but I think he did a good job giving us almost all we wanted, some aspects were not possible and we have end up with a bit of steel in a couple of pillars to allow us to span the main space with gluelam beams. He was working with the Architect to get the frame design inside the envelope the architect drew, but once they had fitted the frame into the architects drawing it has been over to me. Will PM you his details.
  4. Welcome to THE forum for self builders, school rejuvenaters and like minded individuals.
  5. You could design the building and then let your SE create the structure - that is what our architect did. So you could do his bit, either way you will need the SE signoff otherwise building control won't accept it, unless you can prove in algebra that all is well.
  6. You want to get a good COP so you probably need to do a few sums based on your expected SAP figures and then check out the ASHP unit to be sure they are a close match, too small and it will struggle and be noisy, too big and it will be noisy and large! Are you getting the RHI?
  7. Then get a grip on the 2 year period, when it comes up you can then negotiate a new contract, I get a quote from the other two then go around getting the price down, and down, last one was three steps down and no price increase for one year and 5p max, or some such - can't exactly recall, in year two, then we go round again.
  8. We are building in IBeam we used a standard architect and a structural engineer with me building it on site.
  9. Another way to save is to negotiate this price we are with FG and I am sure we pay a lot less than that!
  10. Rationel is usually competitive, I think if you go back to Rationel itself, rather than the agent you got the quote from, and ask them pass you on to another agent so you can get another quote. Or just send your spec to an Internorm or Gaulhofer and see how it compares with their equivalents.
  11. This is the one I used in the past. https://brinno.com/time-lapse-camera/TLC200 PS welcome to THE forum.
  12. This one is what I have used, wide angle lens addition was useful. https://brinno.com/time-lapse-camera/TLC200 PS welcome to THE forum.
  13. Brino with a wide angle lens.
  14. I was wondering that as well there must be a way and your link sort of helps but it looks like it might be tough none the less.
  15. We are just getting sorted to run the MVHR pipework and while I had defaulted to round outlets I saw this And wondered if anybody had tried MVHR with slot outlets and if so what was the experience like?
  16. I guess the 'systems' approach is the best, just black box everything and connect up the boxes, being careful to ensure inputs are compatible with prior outputs etc. Then you can keep working copies of blocks available for swapping out. I like NodeRed and I do a session on it in our (my) TEC supported Engineering module because it allows you to travel a very long way quickly but it does encourage some fudging at the edges when you need to work around gaps and sometimes the surface gets a bit lumpy because the blocks are square when they need to be a smooth curve - like LEGO really.
  17. No need to use an installation company - One upon a time this was something of a closed shop around the MSC scheme, they would only do the whole job, but these days the sands have shifted and I have had several quite reasonable, few hundred quid, quotes to certify my own work on installing and connecting the array if I do all the paper work with the DNO they will provide the MCS certificate and then we can get the export tariff.
  18. @TerryEAll makes perfect sense and great to see. Although I was just playing with a WEMOS this afternoon working with a CO2, Humidity and Temperature sensor block and using the radio and I guess that for remote devices, around the place connected by radio (meshed or otherwise) they will still have a role. I have a little worry about start up. Although I can see that your approach is reliable it always worries me assuming that that a particular regime will remain part of a design - IE all I/O configured as inputs with a pull up resistor and the default output condition once the processor gets control of the GPIO. In the past I have used a hardware watchdog that disables all control voltages until it receives a signal sequence to open up and if not repeated it shuts down. In this way attaching any scheme behind the controlled devices is no longer a worry as nothing gets power until the correct sequence has been received, and is regularly received by the watchdog. It will be interesting to see your thinking around the native Python / Node Red decision.
  19. Oh the 850mm is the 1200mm dimension, sorry I misread that tiny, but sadly vital, detail.
  20. Expletives NOT deleted but we are glad you got it off your chest. Why will it look so bad lower down, surely it will still reach the top but just go that, 50mm lower?
  21. Oh err... It's the gable hole that is the wrong size then is there anyone who might be at fault?
  22. I agree it does, I am standing in the refectory coffee queue with 8 of them the problem is that these and yours were by definition capable of, and equipped for, this level of study but many are not and should not be anytheless respected for their skills and capabilities. We have a system geared to the belief that a starred double first in classics from one of a couple of seats of learning is the goal of education and anything less is some kind of failure which it is not.
  23. You need to draw it out to scale so you know +/- a few mm or just go HERE, download the DWG file and measure off that.
  24. We still have the CiTB and its levy, it was one of the few that survived the past 20 years, although I got the impression that is was cheaper to pay the levy, do little training and employ a European workforce than it was to actually develop the next generation. Now we have a full blown levy across all of business - however I notice that much of this new levy is being spent on graduate apprenticeships which is, sadly, yet another example of the snobby way craft skills are seen. We still only have about 50% of the population studying above level 3 (A Level / BTEC / ....) so we need to encourage people in the other 50% or adjust the outcomes to offer degrees in roofing etc - maybe making everyone a graduate will sort the divide - mad though the idea is.
×
×
  • Create New...