Temp
Members-
Posts
10690 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
43
Everything posted by Temp
-
UFH has a much slower response time than rads. Personally I would stick with rads unless one of you is home most days so the heating is on in the daytime. If you have the heating set up on a twice a day program because you bot work the I'd stick with rads.
-
Notching Wood joists to parallels flange Channel
Temp replied to Warrentdo's topic in RSJs, Lintels & Steelwork
+1 We filled in both sides of a UB then used joist hangers with long tails that went over the top and down the other side. Nailed in both sides. -
PIR sensor connected to a sprinkler?
-
Footprints sometimes raise the surrounding material. That's harder to deal with than the hollow. If not too late wack or scrape any raised area back down.
-
You mentioned you have an amplifier. That can make the signal strength reading on the TV misleading. The signal from the aerial could be a lot weaker but it's being boosted by the amplifier. Unfortunately amplifiers boost noise as well as the signal. It would be worth trying a temporary direct connection to the aerial with no branches off to other outlets just to see what the baseline signal is like. Maximise reception like that first. If the signal from the aerial is good then use a distribution amplifier with low/modest modest gain to provide the other outputs. High gain amplifier shouldn't really ever be needed. It's better to fit a bigger aerial or if it's already massive fit a mast head amplifier. Unfortunately there are loads of possible reasons for reception problems but always best to start with the best aerial set up you can't get.
-
Personally I like deep back boxes. Let's you squeeze in home automation devices later. Ask for a Neutral at all switches if you can.
-
I mean both really. We have a public footpath through our garden and was told the standard width was 3m when we had it diverted along the boundary. Ive always assumed that was the width they wanted for footpath alongside a road but haven't seen any documentary evidence/law that supports this.
-
+1 3m is the standard width of a public footpath.
-
I'd be setting up CCTV cameras to catch them if they go spraying weedkiller.
-
1200mm wide block wall layout query
Temp replied to Capable Noob's topic in Bricklaying, Blockwork & Mortar
Think I'd just do this. Since you have steels both sides.. What's the loading like? Would they need to be something other than the lightest of lightweight blocks? -
Drying washing with a dehumidifier in a shower room
Temp replied to Ferdinand's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
We hang our washing on a rack in the bathroom. Despite being used for three showers a day clothes dry in 12-18 hours thanks to the mvhr. It doesn't take much air flow to dry clothes this time of year wen the air is dry. -
Sorry for the delay in replying. On 24/7 ours consumes around 2.5-3kWh a day or 105-125W. That's about 1000 kWh a year or £350 pa at the capped rate.
-
Just thought I would go to the horses mouth so to speak.. eg Approved Doc J. I know that's not actually the Building Regs but... So sure a raised surface is only "a way" of achieving the requirements but the intent seems clear. The idea is to discourage people putting carpet/rugs too close.
-
Available December!
-
Possibly this 5 port switch just 40mm * 40mm. https://botblox.io/switchblox-industrial/ A sizable December?
-
Our stove gets about 3 mm taller when hot and this caused some movement at the joint between stove and stove pipe. Doesn't seem to have caused a leak though. I guess I should throw in a reminder to install Carbon Monoxide detectors in any/all rooms with a stove or flue.
-
I'm sure there are PC programs/apps that you can use to do this yourself. It looks like Wren Kitchens have a free web based program but I've not tried it... https://www.wrenkitchens.com/kitchen-design/online-planner?Kenshoo_IDA=Search&utm_id=google_14122437787_124682458759_630671511573_kwd-10731526_m_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjZeEmLvR-wIViNPtCh2ffgD5EAAYASABEgJh3vD_BwE There might be limitations to prevent you taking the design elsewhere?
-
+1 It almost looks too uniform in colour to be wet. I wonder if its been painted with a sealer?
-
If they are weep vents/tubes they look blocked with mortar?
-
From what I've heard the grey coated eps systems like that Polypearl make is the best technology to go for. The coating sticks the beads together no/less risk of them all pouring out of a hole or slumping. In the end the quality of the job will be down to the installer and I don't know if Polypearl make and install or just make the stuff and use contractors to install?
-
No dont think so. I believe its done like a funnel so that any tar/condensate/rain running down the inside of the flue doesn't leak out of joints but ends up in the stove.
-
I would only use a washable emulsion for top coat if I was building again. Nothing but Zinsser in bathrooms.
-
Mitigating Risk With Upfront Payments To Timber Frame Companies?
Temp replied to thefoxesmaltings's topic in Timber Frame
PS It must also be a CC not DC. -
Mitigating Risk With Upfront Payments To Timber Frame Companies?
Temp replied to thefoxesmaltings's topic in Timber Frame
+1 But check the rules. If its your name on the order it must be your card eg not your wife's. The payment must be towards the frame not a separate fee for "design services" or "delivery" etc.
