Temp
Members-
Posts
10690 -
Joined
-
Last visited
-
Days Won
43
Everything posted by Temp
-
Probably only the outer 50-60mm or so needs to be enlarged.
-
Turns out some new walls lights I have are tapered and I will have to enlarge existing the holes in the brick wall to get them in. Currently the holes are about 70mm diameter and need to be about 1 or 2mm larger over half their depth. Looking for suggestions on the best way to do this. I have eight to do. Screwfix have a 78mm core drill and suppose I could make a wooden plug with a 10mm hole in the middle to guide it. Would probably jam a lot. Any other suggestions? I can't get the light fittings turned down because I don't think the wall thickness of the fitting is sufficient.
-
Passive House? - Not if you have BATS!
Temp replied to Barney12's topic in New House & Self Build Design
Sorry I missed this key point when I replied earlier. As I understand it if you cannot reach agreement over a condition the only formal way forward is to appeal the condition and let a planning inspector sort it out. -
PS Somewhere there is a standard that portable meters have to meet and which first generation meters don't. If anyone can remember what that's called let us know. SMETS2 or something like that?
- 10 replies
-
- smart meters
- security
-
(and 5 more)
Tagged with:
-
As I understand it there is a target date after which they are meant to be portable between suppliers. However it's not clear to me who pays for if you want to upgrade from a first generation meter to a portable one. So i'm declining until they can assure me it's a portable one https://www.gov.uk/guidance/smart-meters-how-they-work
- 10 replies
-
- smart meters
- security
-
(and 5 more)
Tagged with:
-
Passive House? - Not if you have BATS!
Temp replied to Barney12's topic in New House & Self Build Design
If it's your ecologist not the councils then you are under no obligation to submit her report. I would brief another. I would show them her report and see if they agree your contention of the wider benefits or if not can mitigation could be used before hiring them to do a new report. -
If you are importing them yourself they have already risen. I think it's not clear what will happen longer term. If the UK ramps up production of bricks then that may hold prices down forcing imports to compete. It depends if companies like Hanson/Forterra are in the mood to invest in new production capacity here instead of across the channel. Two weeks ago they said.. http://www.constructionenquirer.com/2016/07/06/brick-giant-plans-to-mothball-two-factories/ "Brick making giant Forterra is planning to mothball two plants in Lancashire." "“Given current economic uncertainty and sufficient brick inventory levels, the Board has reviewed the current production plan and has decided to maximise the utilisation of our most efficient brick plants and effectively manage our cost base.” Says imported bricks account for 25% of sales in the UK eg 1 in 4 brick houses is made of imported bricks.
-
Tell her not the wear it :-)
-
Some ready assembled manifolds have (had) a bypass built in where the flow and return connect to the manifold. I believe this is to make them easy to add-on to a system that has rads as well. I think a separate circulating pump is only needed on manifolds that have this bypass and most don't. Our manifolds came ready assembled from Osma UFH (who I think were taken over by Wavin?) and they did have this bypasses built into the mixer. I tried persuade the installer to remove them but I was told this would affect the warranty. When I asked Osma they told me a separate circulating pump was needed because the pump on the manifold couldn't be guaranteed to be sufficient to draw water from the TS. I wasn't convinced by their answer. In short I'm pretty sure a separate circulating pump isn't needed on the UFH side of most systems. You need one on the boiler side to circulate water from the boiler to/from the TS but if it's a system boiler there is usually a pump in that.
-
I assume this is a fully modulating gas boiler? If it was an oil boiler I would go with a TS. If gas I don't think there is much in it between a TC and a UVC. I don't see how having a TS reduces the number of pumps.
-
Ah but Diesel goes whoosh, gasoline goes boom. Diesel is much safer for lighting bonfires. With Gasoline you can accidentally make a fuel air bomb. Don't ask. They grew back.
-
+1. If it's new to you check out the index.
-
One builder reported recently (since the vote) that they still expected sales for the year to meet previous expectations. Many of the house builders were up on the news. Barratt currently down about 20% compared to the day before the vote.
-
Unless this wet weather continues it might be a bit late to sow seed? In the spring I have to cut some of our grass weekly then in the summer it slows down, the last cut was the first of the fortnightly cuts this year. We turfed our lawn in and if you go that route make absolutely sure you have an adequate water supply. Depending on the size of your lawn one outside tap might not be enough! Ours is quite big and we had two sprinklers going almost 24/7 and they had to be moved around regularly. This was only just enough to stop the turf drying out and shrinking in the hot weather. Forget to move one and an hour later you could see the turf had started to shrink in the dry patch. Would be easy to ruin a area if it was hot and windy.
-
Ah so that's what those little fences you see next to motorway road works are for. I though they might be to stop hedgehog getting squished.
-
Recommended bathroom suite merchant??
Temp replied to Hillydevon's topic in Bathrooms, Ensuites & Wetrooms
Just a tip.. If you decide to mix and match beware that there are an infinite number of shades of white. They all look white in the show room but when you get a bath from one place next to a basin or pan from another the difference can be obvious. -
planning I am deeply deeply angry: so I need your advice, please
Temp replied to ToughButterCup's topic in Planning Permission
I would think about it. What happens if some official turns up and stops work on all four plots (including yours) while they "review the situation"?- 42 replies
-
- gcn
- permitted development
-
(and 2 more)
Tagged with:
-
Oldest newspaper found??
Temp replied to TheMitchells's topic in General Self Build & DIY Discussion
We have a copy of the Dec 4th 1978 Daily Star lining a chest of drawers. There is a small article in it about Jim Callaghan threatening the EU over a problem with agricultural subsidies. It says he will stop short of threatening to pull out of the common market. -
How to find a correctly sized microwave?
Temp replied to Ferdinand's topic in Kitchen Units & Worktops
In case it helps, our Neff (E-Nr H5642N0GB/04) fits in a 600mm wide hole 390mm high hole. Those dims include it's separate bezel so the actual microwave unit is smaller.- 17 replies
-
- microwave
- built-in appliance
-
(and 1 more)
Tagged with:
-
Perhaps see here for a block paved highway... http://www.pavingexpert.com/blokroad.htm Residential block paving.. http://www.pavingexpert.com/blocks2.htm This is a pretty good site for all things related to paving, hardstanding and some drainage. Check out the index for specs for block paving in other areas. If you ever want the access road adopted by the council best check if they have a spec.
-
Did the NHBC know you are building two houses? I might be wrong but they used to have a policy for self builders building their own house (single), but if building multiple houses or houses for sale at a profit or they expected you to become an NHBC registered builder. I may have that wrong. Yes my understanding is you would pay £205 + £658 and that includes site visits. Best plan is to conclude each site visit by asking when he wants you to call him back for the next one. If he finds anything that needs fixing or if he suggests a work around send him a letter to confirm what was agreed verbally.
-
+1 to sorting it before the plasterboard goes on. I recommend a waterproof plasterboard like 12mm hardi backer board in showers.
-
Can anyone recommend a quick drying wood preserver? Standard wood preservers are taking days to dry properly in this damp weather. Ideally I'm looking for something that dries over night. Ordinary Rustins is taking 48 hours and Rustins Advanced says wait 48 hours before painting. Sadolins Quick Drying Wood Preserver might be faster but looks like it's only available mail order and in 2.5L tins at £30-£32 plus shipping.
-
We have two Heatmiser wiring centres connected to a thermal store. Each wiring centre controls one UFH manifold (upstairs/downstairs). On our system the two BE signals on the wiring centres are OR'ed together and used to control a pump between the TS and the manifolds. The stats on the store control the boiler. You may not need that pump between the TS and the manifolds - it depends on the manifolds. I questioned the need with Osma who provided our manifolds and they said it was required in our case.
-
No mains gas in our village but because we like gas hobs we installed a dual fuel electric oven and LPG hob with 6 rings. Works very well off LPG cylinders. We use 47kg cylinders but they last around 18 months to 2 years so smaller cylinders would be ok and easer to transport. We used plastic covered copper pipe sold for the purpose.
