Minimum kitchen sink window height from floor

Wagas

Hi, my architect has the kitchen sink window starting at 950mm above finished floor level. This seems a bit high to me, 915-930mm would be better I think. I'm wondering if 950mm is the minimum distance from floor level that a kitchen sink window needs to be for building control? Does anyone know? Thanks

Our worktop is 935mm above FFL  Even 950 would put it only very slightly above worktop making an awkward detail to finish.  Our kitchen window cills are 1100 above FFL to give a decent splashback.

Or are you wanting the window low so the worktop extends at the same level to be the window cill?

Interesting the variation in worktop height.  I just set our units so the supplied kickboard was a cosy, but not too tight fit under, and then there is the thickness of the worktop.  To get it down to 900mm would have meand cutting the kickboard down. Why would I want to make extra work?

50 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Interesting the variation in worktop height.  I just set our units so the supplied kickboard was a cosy, but not too tight fit under, and then there is the thickness of the worktop.  To get it down to 900mm would have meand cutting the kickboard down. Why would I want to make extra work?

Our plinths are 150mm high, but the Silestone work tops are only 20mm thick.  I think that the units are pretty standard in terms of height.

50 minutes ago, ProDave said:

When I used to fit kitchens I looked at the height of the customer, if they were shortish like me I offered to lower what I could. You are limited to the appliances but if I could I would lower parts that did not have appliances, cutting the kickboard is dead easy. My grans kitchen had a lower section (with slate) for rolling pastry on.

Almost all English kitchens will be a carcase height of 720mm with a plinth of 150mm . European kitchens vary from the 720mm standard height with 150mm plinth (a system that apparently dates back to the post war years. Modern premium European kitchens will typically have 780mm carcases with 100mm plinths but even this varies (our supplier does 795mm carcases with 100mm plinths). This is done for 2 main reasons-

1. The average european is about 2 inches taller now than in the 40's and the increased worktop height makes for better ergonomics.

2. Most manufacturers use a generic supplier for door fronts who make them in fixed sizes. The 780 system works on a 130mm grid making modular construction cheaper and more flexible (Our supplier is totally bespoke so they work on a 132.5mm grid allowing for a 795mm carcase, squeeezing in a bit more storage)

Add to this your worktop height which will vary between 20 or 30mm stone, 40mm corian, 40mm laminate, 30 or 40mm wood. Anything above these is possible. To this one would normally add 100mm upstands when stone or corian worktops are used.

If you are able to set your cill height bearing the above in mind you are able to achieve better detailing around the windows. Else one end up from upstands that could appear too low to be of much use, a bit top heavy or fussy detailing around the window behind the sink.

12 hours ago, ProDave said:

I don't understand the problem. Ours is standard 720mm base units + 150mm plinth + 30mm granite.

26 minutes ago, PeterStarck said:

I don't understand the problem. Ours is standard 720mm base units + 150mm plinth + 30mm granite.

OP is asking about minimum height / BRegs etc. I've retro-fitted a load of kitchens where the window was lower than the worktop, but this is a new construction so BRegs need observing ( wherever applicable ). ;) 

15 hours ago, ProDave said:

If you have a wife (customer) who is only 5 foot 2 you tend to get asked to set worktop height lower. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Nickfromwales said:

OP is asking about minimum height / BRegs etc. I've retro-fitted a load of kitchens where the window was lower than the worktop, but this is a new construction so BRegs need observing ( wherever applicable ). ;) 

Yes I was replying to Dave and the BCO wasn't interested in ours.

23 hours ago, PeterW said:

The only restriction will be that if it is below a certain height then it has to have toughened or laminated glass in the panel. 

Is that restriction 800mm? So for living room/ground floor bedroom as long as windows are 800 above finished floor there are no toughened glass/restricted opening requirements? Thanks

1 hour ago, Wagas said:

Is that restriction 800mm? So for living room/ground floor bedroom as long as windows are 800 above finished floor there are no toughened glass/restricted opening requirements? Thanks

This is the safety zones for glazing from the current Building Regulations Part K 2013

Glazing.thumb.JPG.e1ea09122a17febde7611e5581eb254e.JPG

Full text here

https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200135/approved_documents/73/part_k_-_protection_from_falling_collision_and_impact