• Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won


the_r_sole last won the day on August 3 2020

the_r_sole had the most liked content!

Community Reputation

286 Excellent

1 Follower

About the_r_sole

  • Rank
    Advanced Member

Recent Profile Visitors

The recent visitors block is disabled and is not being shown to other users.

  1. Most topo surveys for a single site we have are around 600 quid, we usually get a couple of quotes and they're never significantly different - definitely not 180 quid vs 600! They can be extremely useful if you're getting quotes for groundworks, drainage and foundations as you've got quantifiable information to reduce the assumptions contractors are making. Can also help with details of trees/walls/fences, setting out, ridge heights for planning etc. We'd always recommend that clients get one, for 600 quid in the grand scheme of things you could save that on the groundworks package with more accurate information! I have done a number of sites without them and it just means you have more unknowns to account for, but I have had planning insisting that ridge heights are set in relation to ordnance survey datum and also had roads insist that an access drawing is done with precise levels
  2. again that's down to communication - we generally do a few options for people and it's never what the project turns out as but it's an exploration of how the brief can work within the constraints of the site, the final option is usually a combination of the ideas from different options. Sometimes at the early stages it's as important to figure out what you don't like as much as what you do!
  3. But have you asked him to design something that he thinks will get planning or have you asked him to draw up your designs and try to get it through planning? It's two completely different requests. I can't fathom why he would waste time and energy drawing something different if his task was the latter, but then it also sounds like you've completely skipped the briefing and design development stages to get to a planning application so something doesn't feel right about the process....
  4. See, you're using your architect wrong, getting a person who's skill is in design to do cad plans from your scaled drawings is a waste of everyone's time and expertise. Maybe he's taken your plan and made into something that will achieve planning or comply with regs? You've said you've paid him for his ability to get things through planning and his relationship with the planning department, but then you've given him a strict design to follow? If you just want your drawings made into a planning set, use a good local technologist, they will do that cheaper, faster and without trying to develop your design. If we have enquiries from someone who "just needs a set of drawings for planning" and doesn't want any of the design stage we always recommend a technologist who we work with. It's just not a valuable exercise to pay Architects to do the mechanical process bits of a project.
  5. Very strange, what have they been working to if not your brief?
  6. yeah, the end users are never the problem, it's the box tickers where the issues can be!
  7. You can, but you need to argue with your solicitor and the buying solicitor that it's the way to do it and not the retrospective/certificate of lawfulness route. I once send a 5 page explanation to solicitors of why a project met permitted development rules, quoted all the specific clauses etc - they said it wasn't acceptable because I had been paid to design it! The report was 100% factually correct and couldn't be disagreed with but it still wasn't acceptable to solicitors who didn't know the difference between building regs and planning...
  8. anything bigger than 6m will result in a retrospective planning application - although any enforcement action is unlikely unless you have a neighbour complaining, also might raise an issue when you try to sell, solicitors don't seem to understand permitted development at the best of times!
  9. The ownership or any title deed restrictions are nothing at all to do with planning permission, the planning department only consider planning issues - the best bet in this scenario is to get a solicitor to establish that the need an agreement with the other party to build, and then tell them that - it's possible to get planning permission for something that is unable to be "legally" built (I've had this on a couple of projects!)
  10. Why is agricultural land so precious? The farmer could put up a big shed to service their vehicles with no permissions at all!
  11. You still haven't actually come up with a reason for objecting? Is it a road safety concern you have? Is it the loss of agricultural land? If you want to object to a planning application you need to find something to base your objection on - all I can tell is that you don't want it to happen but so far you've given any convincing reasoning for your objections. There's usually a few opportunities in local development plans for small industry to be accommodated around settlements, it being "agricultural land" can sometimes make it a bit easier to fit with policy too.
  12. that's not really an objection? There's lots of things I don't want to be happening near me, but putting small industry away from where people are living seems better than having it in amongst where people live?
  13. If you are going to do any of the electrical work yourself, remember that you need to get it signed off at the end - I've had some "money saving" clients go down this route in the past and end up paying as much to get it signed off than they would have just getting it done! Remember you are asking an electrician to take on liability for things they haven't seen getting done so unless you get them to inspect at different stages they might not want to sign off someone else's work (especially a home owners)
  14. Building warrant information is only to get a building warrant, it isn't construction information. For domestic projects the items you're looking at would just be done by a plumber and electrician to meet their relevant codes, if you want them fully designed and specified you'd need an M&E engineer, but they'd probably leave most of those decisions up to a subcontractor anyway!