epsilonGreedy

What tool to slice off wood screws?

I inherited a well built garden shed from a pensioner who was moving into sheltered accommodation. Unfortunately it was not built to be taken apart and so in the rush to move it some of the major wall sections had to be prised apart and this has left exposed screws with the heads still captive.

I do not own any cutting tool and want to buy something to slice off the captive screws flush to the wood surface. I think my options are a small grinder or an osculating cutter, these have popped up in my online research.

Oscilating

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Makita-DTM51Z-Multi-Tool-18-V/dp/B00QEBOE0Q

Grinder

https://www.axminster.co.uk/makita-dga452z-115mm-cordless-angle-grinder-18v-body-only-506185

The cosmetic finish is not an issue with this task because the surfaces with the exposed screws will be concealed once the shed has been reassembled.

A hammer.  Tap the screw left right up and down repeatedly and it will snap. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Declan52 said:

A hammer.  Tap the screw left right up and down repeatedly and it will snap. 

I am going outside to experiment.

A mains angle grinder is pretty cheap and quite useful.

What access to the screws do you have?  If you can see the shank but the head is fubared then just grab it with mole grips and undo it.

If you want an oscilating tool, usually know as a multitool, and are not in a hurry, wait until next time Aldi or Lidl have them. I am happy with my £25 mains powered one from Lidl.

If you go down the angle grinder route, use hearing and eye protection!

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, ProDave said:

What access to the screws do you have?

Just the pointy end, the heads are under other layers of the shed panels. This shed was a proper job built as a frame onsite e.g. the flooring boards went in last and hid all the screws binding the floor frame to the wall panel bases. I did not have time to reverse its original build sequence hence the torn out screws now exposed. This will just be our onsite laundry for 6 months hence it will be joined back together with some metal corner straps and some beads of structural mastic along the internal panel joints.

I am making excellent progress with the @Declan52 hammer and metal fatigue technique but might have to resort to an angle grinder for the final awkward bits.

Edited by epsilonGreedy

Can you not just grip them with a claw hammer and pull them through?

2 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

osculating

There's an interestingly obscure word. It's not the same as oscillating, it means kissing.

Apparently it was, at some time in the past, used jokingly in its direct meaning but the only time I've come across it is in orbital mechanics where an asteroid, satellite or whatever's orbit is perturbed by forces other than the gravitational pull of the body it's in orbit around so is not a simple ellipse. The ideal elliptical orbit that best matches its actual path at a particular moment in time is called an osculating orbit.

Less off point, a multitool is a good thing to have but the metal-cutting blades I've tried haven't lasted long. Might be because I've used them on galvanized ring nails or might be because I've bought cheap ones. OTOH, I went to the local agricultural supplies place today to get various things. On my list was a couple of metal blades for my Makita multitool. as I have a few more ring nails to dig through. They only had genuine Makita ones which would be nice to try but at £22 each I thought I'd skip that experiment.

if there's enough of the screw sticking out clamp the chuck onto it and use the battery gun to turn it in the right direction to remove.

I'd avoid the multitool on these screws. Even the better make bi-metal blades don't tend to last long on something like Screwfix Gold Screws they're so bloody hard /brittle!

1mm thick cutting disc in 115mm angle grinder and pair of moles for wiggle 'n snap would be my choice.