Roof Gutters - Metal or Plastic?

mike2016

Hi,

I was hoping to use Galvanized Steel gutters in my build but what are people's experience of them? Do they split and rust within a year or two? Is Aluminum Better, I heard you can't put a ladder up against it?

I'm looking for ease of maintenance (plan to stick a hedgehog in them), that they are long lasting & keep me away from uPVC. I'm not near the coast (marine/salt areas).

Any experiences / advice?

Thanks!

We have copper guttering. I remember it being sold to us on the basis of how long lasting it was (no idea if this is true) - though mainly we chose it because it looks nice.

We haven't had any problems to date with it (a few years now). When they were first installed they were very shiny and looked a bit bling to my taste - but quickly this softened and they are slowly changing colour. Some people clean/polish them to try to keep the shiny stage - but we are happy to leave them natural.

Plastic would have been a chunk cheaper I'm sure. However with hindsight I'm pretty happy the extra money was worthwhile (I wish I could say this about everything on the build!).

- reddal

I think we're going to have our gutters/downpipes in zinc to match the cladding. I can't recall the exact figure, but when added into the already massive zinc quote, it wasn't too horrendous. I deliberately didn't find out the cost in plastic, otherwise I'd never have been able to justify having the zinc. 

Should be long lasting, but it's more for the look. 

Excuse my ignorance, but what's a hedgehog? I'm assuming some useful gutter-cleaning device as opposed to a well trained spiky thing. 

It's something you put into the gutter that keeps leaves and large debris out. Google "Hedgehog Gutter Brush" and you'll see it (not sure about linking to sites / copyright piccys). Hopefully means I won't have to keep climbing up a ladder to tug clumps of grass/moss out....

Edited by mike2016

my biggest regret on my renovation is being a cheapskate and using some plastic guttering for the back of my house.

We used cast iron on the front and cast iron lookalike elsewhere but i just can't stand plastic!

Cost will definitely be a factor for me but I've heard a horror story of galvanized steel gutters rusting after only a year or two and thought would it be worth the bother? Just seems a shame to stick up plastic after spending so much on the house! Plus it upsets my eco-whiskers.....! I'd have to send my trained Hedgehog up there more often, the poor thing....

After looking at all these options I decided to go with Lindab. Yes there are horror stories and questions about how valuable the warranty is, but in the end the choices seemed to be:

Plastic - cheap and WILL deteriorate in a few years and looks horrible

Galvanised steel - more expensive, looks the part (we have some zinc roofs and were able to colour match) and *should* last much longer

Aluminium - slightly more expensive materials plus would be more labour intensive to fit

Copper and steel - ruled out as "wrong aesthetic" for us or too expensive or both

Zinc - could not find any off-the-shelf RWG and seems it has to be custom made at horrendous prices

Ask me again in a few years if we made the right choice. Certainly 7 months on I am pleased with it and there is no sign of rust. I made sure it was cut with a hand-saw and no power tools to burn off the galvanised layer.

My ideal would have been zinc - this seems more common and cheaper in the US where they can rock up on site and roll the size and profile to suit.

I looked at a number of the galvanised steel providers. Lindab had a heavier gauge of steel than the others, and their sales rep put me in touch with a company who were able to offer a great price, almost on a par with the other galvanised steel providers. Happy to whisper it - PM me.

12 minutes ago, ragg987 said:

I made sure it was cut with a hand-saw and no power tools to burn off the galvanised layer.

Top tip that, thanks. Another fine example of the worth of this forum. Finally, we had a decent quote for Galvanised steel Rainwater goods from Rainclear Solutions. Might be worth a look.

PW.

42 minutes ago, NSS said:

We're using Roofart powder coated galvanised steel. It's virtually identical to Lindab but cheaper. Seems very good so far but it's Early days. 

Was that direct from Roofart or via a merchant ...??

1 hour ago, ragg987 said:

I looked at a number of the galvanised steel providers. Lindab had a heavier gauge of steel than the others, and their sales rep put me in touch with a company who were able to offer a great price, almost on a par with the other galvanised steel providers. Happy to whisper it - PM me.

Was that for raw galvanised or the powder coated stuff ..?? Can you PM me the details ..??

1 hour ago, PeterW said:

Was that direct from Roofart or via a merchant ...??

Southern Sheeting Supplies in Sussex, and they discounted their online prices so worth enquiring.

• Like 2

I have used Lindab on my current build and it's been up for 5 years with no sign of rusting. It is important to cut galvanised the way you are instructed using hand tools and not angle grinders etc. I  used Hunter plastic on my last house and that still was looking good after 15 years without fading. Neither Lindab nor Hunter are cheap though.

• Like 1

Have I just been very lucky to have had plastic gutters on every house I have owned and not had any problems? When people say it fails after a few years, do they mean it actually stops working, or just that it starts to fade a bit?

17 hours ago, mike2016 said:

It's something you put into the gutter that keeps leaves and large debris out. Google "Hedgehog Gutter Brush" and you'll see it (not sure about linking to sites / copyright piccys). Hopefully means I won't have to keep climbing up a ladder to tug clumps of grass/moss out....

if the pic is for comment or review, and acknowledged,  you would be OK.

What are the actual lifespans of the products?

I see that Roofart (why is that not from Oz) say 50 years, which strikes me as being rather short for a premium gutter product in normal circumstances.

My dad's company used to make lengths of glass fire guttering moulded from the cast iron original that used to be on their Victorian mill. I know of pieces of that which have been up since 1980, but unfortunately I had to dispose of the mould along with all the others - a 500sqm yard full - when we left the building house.

Ferdinand

1 hour ago, Crofter said:

When people say it fails after a few years, do they mean it actually stops working, or just that it starts to fade a bit?

In all my previous houses both have happened, in the last house it became part of the annual ritual to replace snapped brackets on gutters and downpipes, re-attach and re-align gutters. Mind you the RWG were probably 15-20 years old at that point.

Any uPVC has an aging cycle that will mean it becomes brittle over time. 

Dark colours tend to expand and contact more, leading to creep and seal failure. You can mitigate this a little by using silicone grease on the seals before installation so they slide rather than jump when expanding. Brackets usually get broken when the correct expansion gaps aren't left. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...