Should I dwang my joists?

ToughButterCup

At the risk of sounding like I know what I'm talking about, should I dwang my joists?

All those in favour say 'Aye', all those against say 'Nay'.

Where's he dug that up from then? Here

This is the relevant passage.

'... The slimmer JJI joists have been plated at their ends and dwanged (horizontal braces) to form a rigid structure.  Two thicknesses of 12mm plywood will cover the ends, followed by the green vapour membrane being folded up over to give a vapour barrier.  Insulation board of 140mm thickness will be fixed on top of that to bring it flush with the Durisol blocks below....  ( https://edinkist.wordpress.com/diary-of-the-build/

8 minutes ago, ProDave said:

Only those north of the border know what Dwangs are. To everyone else they are noggins. (even in Wales)

I'm pretty sure it originated as an American term, certainly Americans seem to use the term dwang whenever we would mean a noggin.  Maybe, when timber frame became popular in Scotland, a few decades before arriving South of the border, the term dwang was borrowed from US usage, as a fair bit of timber frame knowledge probably came from US common practice.

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

At the risk of sounding like I know what I'm talking about, should I dwang my joists?

This is the relevant passage.

'... The slimmer JJI joists have been plated at their ends and dwanged (horizontal braces) to form a rigid structure.  Two thicknesses of 12mm plywood will cover the ends, followed by the green vapour membrane being folded up over to give a vapour barrier.  Insulation board of 140mm thickness will be fixed on top of that to bring it flush with the Durisol blocks below....  ( https://edinkist.wordpress.com/diary-of-the-build/

Don’t forget to leave your nogs 15 away from the block Ian

BC like to see continuous gap around the perimeter after flooring out 

20 minutes ago, nod said:

Don’t forget to leave your nogs 15 away from the block Ian

BC like to see continuous gap around the perimeter after flooring out 

Yessir!

I'd better get into the Regs hadn't I? Oh Gaaauuuud it never stops does it?

Ian

Well with my floors ( using I joists) we only used noggins ( not in wales or USA,) on the bottom cord, the top being held by the glued flooring, also these noggins were spaced to support the edges of the plasterboard.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, recoveringacademic said:

Well, ya learn summat every day

I was half joking when I said it. It’s slower than standard dwangs/noggins but it would make running cables easier. It’s more of a “traditional” way of doing things. One of those things I learnt in college but have only used once on a heritage renovation. 

But in answer to your question yes you should nog your joist. Wood moves, I don’t care how much you engineer it.

I have never used any of these new fangled timbers, but I have used a LOT of wood. If the beams have real timber components ( top and bottom plate) do whatever you can to keep it in the right place. 

6 hours ago, recoveringacademic said:

45 minutes ago, nod said:

It’s  also worth counter batoning with 3x1 helps keep everything ridged and also helps with sound 

I'm a big fan of that. Makes life sooo much easier when plasterboarding, especially if the posi's are at 600mm centres and not perfectly square. 

Counter batten at 400mm centres and jobs a good-un.....if you've got enough head height.  

5 hours ago, Construction Channel said:

I was half joking when I said it. It’s slower than standard dwangs/noggins but it would make running cables easier. It’s more of a “traditional” way of doing things. One of those things I learnt in college but have only used once on a heritage renovation. 

a lot more benefits than cable runs, yes it takes longer, but a far better job especially if using solid timber joists. and college was probably about the same time as me so no chop saw which will reduce time 9_9