My Nightmare Heating System

newhome

I am all confused now.

Was just catching up and saw the comment about the boys in the shower, so when back a page to remind myself what they were up to and this is what I saw first.

And I went to Public School in the 70s, so thought I had seen it all

Coconut.jpg

• Haha 3

19 minutes ago, SteamyTea said:

I am all confused now.

Was just catching up and saw the comment about the boys in the shower, so when back a page to remind myself what they were up to and this is what I saw first.

And I went to Public School in the 70s, so thought I had seen it all

Coconut.jpg

Nice! The coconut oil is upstairs. Should go check it I guess :D. Then again :ph34r:

34 minutes ago, newhome said:

@Onoff the temperature gadgets coming in handy! :)

Are they accurate enough? Not sure what the tolerance is on them.....

Swap 'em round on the TS and see if the same top/bottom oddity?

I just use mine as a rough indicator.

How many did you buy?

1 hour ago, Nickfromwales said:

Work that shit out. !

First thought is a measurement error. How deep are the pockets?, How good is the contact between the sensor and the pocket lining? Temperature sensors are very sensitive to contact quality. 3.3C isn't much of a difference and could easily be a measurement issue.

If it's a genuine difference then the store isn't being heated in a stratified way or heat is being removed from the top first. Can't remember how big the store is, but maybe stratification isn't that good in fairly small stores.

This what a 2,500l store looks like.

store.JPG

38 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Could you knock something up on CAD for me ? xD

3D surface modelling of randomly expanded foam to gauge the volume of filler required...

Even I'll pass thanks! :)

(Laser scanning would be the way to go I reckon...)

22 minutes ago, billt said:

First thought is a measurement error. How deep are the pockets?, How good is the contact between the sensor and the pocket lining? Temperature sensors are very sensitive to contact quality. 3.3C isn't much of a difference and could easily be a measurement issue.

If it's a genuine difference then the store isn't being heated in a stratified way or heat is being removed from the top first. Can't remember how big the store is, but maybe stratification isn't that good in fairly small stores.

This what a 2,500l store looks like.

store.JPG

My fault for teasing. :ph34r:

The DHW PHE pump sucks hot out of the top and returns it into the very bottom, thus 'stirring the pot'. That pump is controlled by the DHW flow switch, but seeing that cock end bypassed the relays that ran that pump ( and the HR pump ) and used the flow switch to run them direct :S it went into meltdown and ran the pump to its early death ( hence why the TS wouldn't hold heat for long after the boilers timed burn after cock end "fixed it"  ). 

Out of the top and down into the PHE behind the DHW TMV. 

image.thumb.jpg.d80c3bdaf42c010919b4436e42b8f642.jpg

Out of the PHE, down through the DHW circulation pump, 

image.thumb.jpg.052b3cbc70eeeeeb2609438105d7849f.jpg

And into the lower 1/3 of the tank. 

image.thumb.jpg.38fa32d9c485742bf2b67393a8cd4d08.jpg

Those little stats work well, as without that DHW pump running the heat can be seen to work its way down the tank. :) 

18 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

You're so A to B! :)

24 minutes ago, Nickfromwales said:

Those little stats work well, as without that DHW pump running the heat can be seen to work its way down the tank. :) 

Nice to know my input was vital to the project! :ph34r:

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, newhome said:

So just to prove that hybrid cars are not viable for long journeys @PeterW has me setting off on a 7 hour round trip to Preston to pick up a 5 quid part! :ph34r:

About 5 years ago I drove my hybrid from home (near Salisbury) up to Inverness, where it was parked up for a week whilst we went on a cruise down the Caledonian canal, then I drove it up to near Ullapool, with a gentle meander back down the West coast, through Skye, a couple of days on Mull, and a few days in the village where we used to live, Portpatrick, before returning back home.  At a guess the round trip must have been well over 1000 miles.  Before that we'd driven down to the South of France and back in it a few times.

I've just checked, and had we done that trip now, with my current PHEV, I could have charged up at every single place we stopped overnight - even right up in the far North West, or on Mull.