Searching for the New Testament.

Over the last week the House Builder's Bible has lived up to its title, now I am looking for the next revelation.

The HBB has helped me understand the main building techniques available, it is excellent for material selection and budgets. However I now need to understand the workflow of house building such as should a hallway block wall be plastered before or after the stairs is fitted, can an inner block 2-story wall be taken up to roof level before posi-joists are fitted, do stud wall frames get fixed to roof joists before bedroom ceilings are screwed in place.

I could plague this forum with a load of rookie questions but my preference would be to read a book which complements the House Builder's Bible. Any recommendations for such a book?

I don't need a book that covers plot search or the big-vision inspirational side of architecture. My mind is now focused on the site management, build workflow and sequencing.

My Amazon research has led to these books.

Building Construction Handbook Paperback.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Building-Construction-Handbook-Roy-Chudley/dp/113890709X

Haynes - Home Extension Manual

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Extension-Manual-Step-Step/dp/0857338161

The Self-Builder's Guide To The Construction Phase

Not sure about this one, the contents section looks good but the typesetting is amateurish and has the feel of self publishing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Self-Builders-Guide-Construction-Phase/dp/0993406424/

I highly recommend the Building Services Handbook 9th Edition as well as the Building Construction Handbook you've mentioned. Particularly once you're onto your heating, sewage, hot water and all the other systems involved in services. Very good technical book that'll give you the facts, so perfect for referencing. They can be a bit dry in that regard if you're not technically inclined!

I've both the The Self-Builder's Guide To The Construction Phase and the Project Management version too. My recommendation is to skip these as they're quite shallow in content. The Self Build bible does a better job than the two combined.

• Like 1

BSH and BCH are both aimed at academic subjects as baseline texts and are useful reference documents. The others are pretty poor - HBB will give you just as much info.

If you bear  in mind that asking on here may answer not only your question but also a question for a number of other people then we can share the info widely - all for no charge... 9_9

Hmmm,

the Gospel according to @JSHarris, @Nickfromwales as modified by @Onoff and @ProDave, translated by @Ferdinand, exemplified by @jamiehamy, rendered by @nod, softened at the edges by @lizzie and @Hecateh, and videoed by @Construction Channel is free.

Yes, its asynchronous, but you don't need to go back to the Aramaic, nor the Greek (geeks we have in plenty, but not Greeks, except the honorary one called @TerryE) for translation.  Asynchrony is  solved by the PM system by the way.

There are as usual words of encouragement in the real Bible.

Trouble is it tries to tell us about poor build practice indeed, the stone the builders rejected became the corner stone (one of Mark's little gems I seem to remember) . Now, work that one out.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, epsilonGreedy said:

Over the last week the House Builder's Bible has lived up to its title, now I am looking for the next revelation.

The HBB has helped me understand the main building techniques available, it is excellent for material selection and budgets. However I now need to understand the workflow of house building such as should a hallway block wall be plastered before or after the stairs is fitted, can an inner block 2-story wall be taken up to roof level before posi-joists are fitted, do stud wall frames get fixed to roof joists before bedroom ceilings are screwed in place.

I could plague this forum with a load of rookie questions but my preference would be to read a book which complements the House Builder's Bible. Any recommendations for such a book?

I don't need a book that covers plot search or the big-vision inspirational side of architecture. My mind is now focused on the site management, build workflow and sequencing.

My Amazon research has led to these books.

Building Construction Handbook Paperback.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Building-Construction-Handbook-Roy-Chudley/dp/113890709X

Haynes - Home Extension Manual

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Home-Extension-Manual-Step-Step/dp/0857338161

The Self-Builder's Guide To The Construction Phase

Not sure about this one, the contents section looks good but the typesetting is amateurish and has the feel of self publishing.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Self-Builders-Guide-Construction-Phase/dp/0993406424/

As stated below

you will certainly find answers to your questions on here and often explained in laymen’s terms 

To get you started normally plaster to the stairs though if like me you plan on putting in hardwood stairs 

It better to get all the plastering out of the way Then fit the stairs afterwards 

internal block walls are built upto chamber height so that the posi joists can sit on them Then floored out leaving enough room to carryon building up once the floor is in

Once the roof is on and weathertight the studs can be fixed to the underside of the trusses or rafters and on top of the newly laid floor

hope this helps

266DF1D4-EC8C-4592-908E-0DFD6DDA46F7.jpeg

AA2CAA8B-71B5-4BFF-8AA3-53A6D8D8140C.jpeg

9830844C-768E-40E8-88EC-1ACF24851AD2.jpeg

• Thanks 1