Who ultimately decides and how can I know upfront?

I personally think it’s better if the surrounding houses are all a bit different, there’s nothing really you need to fit in with. 

I had this, the local housing stock was a complete abortion of 1980’s fake Cotswold stone, there was no way they could say they wanted me to match in with a load of houses that shouldn’t have been built like they were. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, saveasteading said:

....come back later.

Will do.  I'm here to learn.

& I agree with you about the cladding that's just left untreated, to turn grey like a cheap garden fence panel.

4 hours ago, joe90 said:

This is exactly what I faced, bungalow one side and room In roof the other, it wasn't till I pointed out, with the street scene drawing, our two story cottage had a lower ridge than the room in roof with loads of velux,s. 

Did you have to point that out at appeal?

2 hours ago, saveasteading said:

....come back later.

Re timber cladding. Personally, I don't like it turning grey. I have it coated in sadolin. Very dark brown or light oak. The latter is invisible but that colour then stays put. 10 years in the sun and a recoat is needed. Longer than that in the shade.

Thinking we will use a thermally modified cladding.

Brimstone Sycamore Cladding - Vastern

Glazing and cladding are two things we feel that we cannot scrimp on.

2 hours ago, flanagaj said:

Did you have to point that out at appeal?

I pointed it out to the planners who kept telling me next doors ridge was x meters tall when in fact it was x + 1.2meters (I measured it when they were out: ) but the planners ignored me so yes I made the point in the appeal. The neighbour had built 1200mm higher than they told planning but it was over 10 years ago and I didn’t mind but goes to show the planners don’t check.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tosh said:

this will still silver.

Yes. some people like it. Others say they do in a positive way of making  the best of things.

I like to stain it, whether raw pine , or cooked hardwood.

30 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Yes. some people like it. Others say they do in a positive way of making  the best of things.

I like to stain it, whether raw pine , or cooked hardwood.

Likewise, I prefer to keep the wood fresh looking.

>>> I had this, the local housing stock was a complete abortion of 1980’s fake Cotswold stone, there was no way they could say they wanted me to match in with a load of houses that shouldn’t have been built like they were. 

Yeah, quite, sometimes LPAs can’t see the wood from the trees. Soneone should tell my LPA that the objective is to improve the housing stock, not to bring everything down to a 1950s prefab standard.

• Like 1