Replacing Hyundai Brush cutter. Is Stihl the only option.

flanagaj

So I purchased the cheap Hyundai brush cutter combi set a couple of years ago.  It's always been a mare to start, and I've always had to use that rocket rule spray in the air intake to get it to start.   However, today I literally gave up trying.  It was cheap and did it's job for a bit.  So I'm now considering buying something decent.  If the Hyundai attachments are compatible with a brand of unit that is a reliable starter then that would be a result.

So are people using Stihl, Echo ...?

I got a stihl, previously had a Kawasaki, but that was nicked when my shed was raided years ago.  Don’t think Kawasaki are in the game any more, but the stihl has been faultless for me.  As far as 2 stroke gadgets I’ve had Kawasaki, Tanaka, echo, husqvarna, and stihl all been faultless and easy to start.  Before this when I was starting out as a grown up with no money I had mcculloch, and Ryobi both were absolute pigs, never again.  

• Like 1

Do a compression check. I find the cheaper brands eventually score the bore or loose compression one way or another and it's this that makes them hard to start. Once the compression is gone you might as well throw them out. If the compression is ok then it might be worth getting it serviced or just fit a new plug and try new fuel.

I ended up breaking the bank to get a Stihl 4 stroke after killing a few different makes. 

• Like 1

I have an Echo and it starts on a single pull every time. I occasionally borrow a Stihl 4 stroke for the harder woody stuff and it’s also very good. If you have a lot to do get a harness and preferably the two handled type. 

• Like 1

Husky chainsaws and Stihl kombi brush/hedge cutter for years.  

In my garage I had lots of 18v makita drills/routers/saws/etc.

Decided to try battery based hedge trimmer.  So impressed.  All electric now, apart from the Stihl stuff I’ve not yet got round to selling.  Will never go back to petrol.

If you’re going to be using the brushcutter for a few years I’d strongly advocate making your life easy and going electric (and I’m with onoff, makita stuff is fab).

• Like 1

I'll be a tiny bit contrary here and say there's nothing *wrong* with petrol stuff, even cheapies. But some people just don't do well with it- instructions are actually pretty important as choke systems can be a bit counter-intuitive depending on brand.

I do however have a Dewalt 18v hedge trimmer and it's pretty darned impressive. The match of any electric I've ever used or our 25cc petrol one..

23 minutes ago, Gone West said:

I've gradually swapped over to all Ego 56V garden tools. I haven't got the brushcutter, only the strimmer, but they all work well and have plenty of power.

https://egopowerplus.co.uk/products/line-trimmers-brush-cutters

Another Ego convert here, I was sceptical but the big mower and strummer have surprised me, should have spent a bit more and got the brush cutter.

26 minutes ago, dpmiller said:

I'll be a tiny bit contrary here and say there's nothing *wrong* with petrol stuff, even cheapies. But some people just don't do well with it- instructions are actually pretty important as choke systems can be a bit counter-intuitive depending on brand.

I do however have a Dewalt 18v hedge trimmer and it's pretty darned impressive. The match of any electric I've ever used or our 25cc petrol one..

Agreed. I’m all battery powered for hedge trimmers and tools but bush cutter and chainsaw are both petrol as I have 100s of metres of boundary to stay in top of. I contemplated an electric lawn tractor but bought an old petrol second hand Countax 4WD. 

My close knit family of 18v Makita batteries means that I’d never think about anything else.  The instant start stop, the lack of fumes, lack of noise do make it so much easier.  We won’t need a brushcutter at the new pad (we declared war on ongoing maintenance requirements) otherwise I’d have already gone twin 18v. 

As for using non Makita batteries….     :-0 

1 minute ago, G and J said:

As for using non Makita batteries….     :-0 

BiL just had a fake 5Ah one go bang in the, again fake Makita charger. He was out and had left it charging on the carpeted stairs landing. Came in to the smell of burnt plastic etc. It had spewed out solder and molten plastic over the carpet but luckily hadn't caught fire. Just had the modern, presumably fireproof carpet fitted. 

I bought this Makita 36V DUR369AZ recently & I'm very pleased with it.  It will convert to a strimmer, although I haven't tried this yet.

https://www.powertoolworld.co.uk/makita-dur369az-twin-18v-lxt-brushless-cordless-brush-cutter-body-only?gad_source=1&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIt7v-2PmfiAMVEYtQBh1amQBUEAQYBCABEgLuF_D_BwE

There's no way I'll be buying a battery car any time soon, but for brush cutters, batteries do it for me.

Tanaka.  I've abused one for 5 years (with v heavy use in Yr 1) never been serviced and guaranteed to start on the third pull every time. 2 year warranty for commercial use and 5 years for domestic; I think that says something about build quality.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Onoff said:

BiL just had a fake 5Ah one go bang in the, again fake Makita charger. He was out and had left it charging on the carpeted stairs landing. Came in to the smell of burnt plastic etc. It had spewed out solder and molten plastic over the carpet but luckily hadn't caught fire. Just had the modern, presumably fireproof carpet fitted. 

Every non-branded Makita battery I've used has died. Usually overheat and a solder fails. One failed spectacularly and had to leave it smouldering on the gravel for an hour before I could go near it. 

I've just bought a 40v parkside (Lidl) brush cutter and it's grand. I've a pair of Makita to parkside adapters so I think I'll be buying more of their stuff that'll only be used occasionally. Also have a brush less 58cm hedge trimmer.

13 minutes ago, Conor said:

Every non-branded Makita battery I've used has died. Usually overheat and a solder fails. One failed spectacularly and had to leave it smouldering on the gravel for an hour before I could go near it. 

I had two 3Ah clones (Floureon make?) back when clone batteries were first a thing and they were spot on. Lasted for years. One still going I think. Bought two 5Ah clones from elsewhere and they died inside a month with no comeback on the waste of space eBay seller.

Genuine all the way now. 

I print Lidl to Makita battery adapters and vice versa.

10 minutes ago, Conor said:

I've just bought a [...] brush cutter and it's grand. ...

Yep.... Brush cutters are grand.

Mine is about 12 years old now, doesn't work that well though. Tends to be quite difficult to start, and often needs to stop for extended breaks - to make adjustments to the cutting edge equipment.

His earbuds that is.

He's a good lad really. 12 years old - going on 45 and about 6 foot 3 already. He only needs cups of tea, bad grandad jokes and £10 notes. Wha's not ter like?

I purchased an 18V Ryobi strimmer and I'm afraid it lacks the power needed to cut grass. Slows down too much. Took it apart and the motor appears to be a cheap ferrite 775 size motor. 

I'm going to replace the motor with a brushless rare earth magnet motor from an RC plane 🙂