Build a small house on a driveway....possible?

Hi All,

Nice to meet you all.

I am looking to build a small/skinny house on my driveway. It would be for my kids so they aren't forced to leave London.

I am enquiring about purchasing the alleyway to extend the size of the land. I cant see who owns the alley on land registry, but one of the houses says it belongs to them.

just wondering if this is even possible.

*Is there a minimum size I can build?

*Do I need access to the rear down the side?

* What height restrictions etc are there?

Thanks for your advice in advance.

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 16.19.08.png

Screenshot 2024-05-01 at 16.27.46.png

Once you allow for footings, rainware overhangs, construction access, wall thickness, you'll end up with a building about 1.5m or so wide. You'll never met building control regs for access etc. E.g. an accessible bathroom will be at least 1m wide and 1.5m long, and then you'll need space for a 900mm wide corridor to access all of the rooms, and then same again for stairs. Park a caravan in your drive.

I'd love somebody to prove me wrong?

• Like 1

You could do a 2 storey side extension, but I don't think there would be enough area for it to be worthwhile.  You would also need additional bin / bike store space.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Tokyorob77 said:

I am looking to build a small/skinny house on my driveway. It would be for my kids so they aren't forced to leave London.

You missed a word out  ' It would be for my kids bikes so they aren't ...'

• Haha 1

The heart icon is a bit strange. Thanks for this. If I tie into the main house?

I may try to see if I can purchase some of the garage to the right. MAybe half. Would that work?

If there was the width, would it be possible?

Posted (edited)
32 minutes ago, Tokyorob77 said:

Example of a house i saw.

But isn't that plot hugely wide compared to yours, even if you could buy the passage? (and you would be a very 'captive audience' for that).

Edited by Redbeard

Even if you worked out the size and garage purchase you may end up devaluing your own house. 
kids next door in own house also means doubling up all household standing charges.

would you still end washing and cleaning for them, leaving home should be a bit further away  in my opinion. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, nod said:

Come on guys 

It has to be a windup 😂

It 1st May not April, but a bit bonkers all the same, they will fly the nest anyway - or they ought to, so they grow up.

Many years ago my brother had a loft conversion done for his teenage daughter who promptly left home shortly after 🤷‍♂️

I have thought of the side extension but I have hit the ceiling on what the house is worth.

Even if the kids don't live in it, it would be a form of income for them. I may just scrap the idea and buy a small flat to do up but if you don't try these things.

If i could buy the garage, it may work. Devaluing the current house is not an issue, next to the piccadilly line so house prices are silly anyway.

Anyhoo, thank you for all the comments.

Doubtful you'd be able to acquire both alley and garage at a sensible cost, and still a risk you wouldn't get planning.

If you're looking for other options, maybe ask local estate agents if adding a side extension and splitting the larger property into two maisonettes might work financially. Could be a lot of work for possibly not much reward though. (Negotiating access via the alley might help here for bins etc)

Hi Torre,

Totally agree its a risk. With the alley and garage at least it will increase the property enough to cover. Especially as I need to fix the fence anyway.

Planning is another matter. Other than bins and bikes,

Anyone, do you need to have an alley to the back of a house? If so, what for?