Getting a Multitool - stick with DeWalt? Or get Milwaukee and a battery adapter?

Oxbow16

Hi

I've been after a multitool for a while...  I only have two cordless tools, a drill and an impact driver, both DeWalt.  No plans to buy more any time soon, apart form the multitool.  So my first thought was to stick with DeWalt.  But having looked into it some more, the Milwaukee gets great reviews and is apparently all round better, including from a vibration pov.  But I'm only a DIYer so it won't see loads of use.  

Which would you get in my position?   I wouldn't want to get the battery/charger etc for Milwaukee and so would need to use it with the DeWalt batteries and an adapter.  

Any thoughts much appreciated.

Many thanks

I always bought tools based on how much use they got, for example drill driver, used the most = buy good quality, multi tool, (I would use not very much) buy cheap. Then again I am old, retired so not likely to have many years to use much. Then again there is the old adage “buy right, buy once” 🤷‍♂️

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the quick replies.  Interesting to hear the variance of opinion and as such any more opinions and views most welcomed :)  

12 minutes ago, nod said:

Comparing Dewalt and Milwaukee Is like comparing Ford and Ferrari 

What does that make the Festool then? ;) 

9 minutes ago, Oxbow16 said:

Thanks for the quick replies.  Interesting to hear the variance of opinion and as such any more opinions and views most welcomed :)  

What does that make the Festool then? ;) 

Audi 😁

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, Oxbow16 said:

Which would you get in my position?

I've chosen Dewalt for years and haven't yet been tempted to by another brand (for power tools). That includes a main-powered multitool that I've been using today - tough going on some 180 year old oak.

• Thanks 1

I heard Herr Bosch on the radio once. He explained that diy drills will only ever be used for, say, 4 hours actual operation, and are built to suit.

You get precisely what you pay for.

I have a new £30 Bosch drill just for small jobs. It struggles with heavy drilling but it's light and not too big.

I have a very old, quite expensive one, shaped like a machine gun. The motor whirrs yet the power is stunning,  but its a bit heavy.

All my dewalt is smooth and efficient.

Choose what you need, but don't bd underpowered. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thank you all for the further replies.

The DeWalt it is I think :)   It might be a Ford but it'll still get me from A to B, I hope!  

Now just need to decide between the 355 and 356 variant.  Seems the main (only?) difference is the three speed settings of the 356.

Is it worth paying more for that?  

Any other differences between the two models?  

Cheers

16 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

I have a very old, quite expensive one, shaped like a machine gun. The motor whirrs yet the power is stunning,  but its a bit heavy.

I had a similar wolf drill like that and could not give it away despite it working well so it went to the tip 😱 ( big clear out after divorce).

Edited by joe90
  • Like 1

Get the one with variable speed.  I've got the other one and if i'd add anything to it, then it would be speed control.  You can control speed with the trigger, but when you have to cut/grind, hold in position, holding a constant not full wack speed is bit of a challenge!

Edited by crispy_wafer
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for all the help today.  I've gone for the 356 with the x3 speed settings.  It has lower vibration that the 355, which is a big bonus for me.

I managed to pick it up for £112 with a 35 piece accessory set AND a T-Stak case.  Very impressed I was!  And I've also hopefully got a further 20% off using Topcashback, which would make it a ridiculous £90 all in if that cashback pays out.  

It was from ebay.  The Topcashback 20% is for today only.  The eBay 20% voucher is until the 27th.  If anyone wants details as to what I got etc let me know and I'll post them up.  

Cheers

• Like 2

My 2p..

All my gear is dewalt. Mainly because it gets exposed to the elements a lot more (site work not just domestic). 

Yes other brands are tougher and better, but replacing a drill for ~£50 bare or sds for ~£140 much more reasonable. 

Having everything the same brand pays back in the savings in batteries and it's a godsend to swap over from another tool when you're up in a cherry picker or plant room 7 floors up. 

The dewalt multitool is reliable, and solid. The only iffy thing for me is the handle by the trigger gets hot after about 30 minutes of cutting. But I doubt you'll be using it that much. 

• Like 2