Silly money

I would love to see the planning history.

IMHO a far better use of the site, would be to keep the original cottage separate and 2 new builds, one being where the "car barn" is and one being the other side of the cottage.

But let me guess, it's green belt and planning would not allow an additional dwelling or 2, so this abomination was the "solution" to extracting as much from the site as planning would allow.

IF that is the case then I despair of the planning system.  At least in Scotland, it is highly likely a new build would be allowed in the garden of an existing dwelling.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ProDave said:

it's green belt and planning would not allow an additional dwelling

I'm assuming the same. I haven't checked at all, but the location is the Downs (which are ups). They seem to have tried to set  it extremely low to avoid it spoiling the views, resulting in no views from the property.

Such is the depression that maybe it was a chalk pit. Guessing is fun.

What does it take to be 'renowned architects'? A quote from their own brochure?  An award? Not that renown is always good. 

I really dislike the huge open spaces interlinked, and think the eventual owners will park themselves in the snug, when not having parties with folk down from the City.

And those steps.  And marble everywhere is very bling, with the kitchen reminding me of modern 5* hotel toilets.

The outer shape is fine, but it is just a shed with wood on it. Actually should be very economical to build, so £1M must be location, £400k for marble , £200k for the renowned architect, and £700k as the building cost.

Like the stripes in the lawn … that’s about it really. Completely over developed, can’t believe planning policies allow this kind of thing to happen. As @ProDave said, would have been better to create a cluster of separate houses similar in scale to the original.

It's an isolated plot, there's no pavement on the main road it connects to, public transport is unlikely to be used, IMHO not sustainable for additional smaller houses.

The LPA have allowed a significant size increase of an old cottage, to a similar size as its neighbour, but in an agricultural vernacular aligned to its setting.

Good job done by Architect and LPA.

I like it a lot. Don't think that's corten just terracotta coloured standing seam.

Not fond of the highly veined marble or their choice of log burners. Other than that, I'm sold. I would have chosen a S/S flue rather than a chimney.

What's the plaster finish? I see they're doing the hidden drainpipe thing.

Edited by Alan Ambrose

Well that's just a function of the local market. I have no idea about that area. But this would be an alternative, so the pricing doesn't look out of place given GIA, land etc:

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/139140314#/?channel=RES_BUY

Totally different style of course and it doesn't have an EPC. Don't know why, it isn't listed.

Edited by Alan Ambrose

55 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

I like it a lot. Don't think that's corten just terracotta coloured standing seam.

Yep, you are right.

Edited to add: The Planning App records it as "Core 10" roof panels.

51 minutes ago, saveasteading said:

Everybody that likes it think its worth 2.35?

There or there abouts. 

55 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

What's the plaster finish? 

Venetian polished?

Edited by IanR

3 hours ago, Alan Ambrose said:

Not fond of the highly veined marble or their choice of log burners. Other than that, I'm sold. I would have chosen a S/S flue rather than a chimney.

What's the plaster finish? I see they're doing the hidden drainpipe thing.

Largely agree. A wee bit big and cold internally but a lovely looking building. 

>>> Edited to add: The Planning App records it as "Core 10" roof panels.

Yeah, I was wrong - I didn't think corten came in thinish sheets for roofing - but I see it is a thing.

Much cheaper than I imagined - 0.3mm with some kind of seam ~ £15 per m^2 up to 1.5mm flat @ £60 per m^2 e.g..

https://www.vidaxl.co.uk/e/vidaxl-roof-panels-36-pcs-rusty-60x44-cm-corten-steel/8720287069942.html

corten roofing.JPG

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Alan Ambrose said:

0.3mm with some kind of seam

I didn't know it came in panel form. I see this is from USA.

0.3mm is very thin. made for gluing to another surface perhaps.

On this..Steel panel is made from as thin as 0.8mm but can still be very strong if the steel is high tensile.

But some is very soft. I bought some from a cheap supplier once, with the client's support  for a very basic use. It was very soft and  a sample square could easily be bent by hand, which is impossible with good steel. Aluminium is softer than steel of course but often made thicker.

But with Corten I have no idea.

I think the overall feel is Grand Designs about 10-15 years ago.  Out of date for a contemporary buildng, and I can't imagine it ageing well. Loadsabling and veined marble. Ick.

I wonder if the original is listed, or Planning tried to treat it as if it were listed? I think the sharp distinction between old and new is still a preferred approach for listed buildings. Perhaps that's the only way development was allowed.

The Architectural Bollocks is .. architectural bollocks.

"Masterclass of blending old and new" ... lol. It's the opposite of blended - it's oil and water deliberately separated so both can be appreciated on their own for their separate attractions, in theory.

Isn't Saltwood where the shagging-obsessed-Maggie-obsessed diarising politician Alan Clarke, with the appetite for older cars and younger ladies, used to live in his 15C mini-castle with his collection of Bloomsbury Group paintings? Fantastic writer of diaries (inlcuing Backfire about the car collection and his wife's later reflections), but a bit of a sh*t.

On 29/09/2023 at 16:16, IanR said:

It's an isolated plot, there's no pavement on the main road it connects to, public transport is unlikely to be used, IMHO not sustainable for additional smaller houses.

If you applied that rule here, almost no houses would ever be built.  Our road and the main road it connects to has no footpath, and in any event it is 3 miles to the nearest bus stop.

They will be deciding we are not allowed parking spaces next if you can only build a house and access it via public transport.

@saveasteading

Yeah, I'm not sure I believe the 0.3mm - a typo maybe? Here's some info on corten for facades:

https://www.ssab.com/en-gb/brands-and-products/cor-ten/product-offer/cor-ten-a-for-facades

Says, 1-1.5mm thick, modulus (bendability/stretchability) ~200 GPa like mild steel, yields (strength) at about 300 N/mm vs. mild steel at 370.