MBC on site tomorrow!

divorcingjack

After 6 years of planning battles, redesigns, engineer wrangling and evenings spent softly weeping .... Brendan and the crew are coming tomorrow morning. 

We met two of the lads this afternoon, Sean and Sean (easy to remember..), can't wait to get started tomorrow :)

No point to this post really, we're just so happy! Any top tips for what we should keep an eye on during the slab install? 

Does anyone want/need detailed info or pics as we go along? 

Cheers, 

dj 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, divorcingjack said:

After 6 years of planning battles, redesigns, engineer wrangling and evenings spent softly weeping .... Brendan and the crew are coming tomorrow morning. 

We met two of the lads this afternoon, Sean and Sean (easy to remember..), can't wait to get started tomorrow :)

No point to this post really, we're just so happy! Any top tips for what we should keep an eye on during the slab install? 

Does anyone want/need detailed info or pics as we go along? 

Cheers, 

dj 

Sean and Sean are top guys. Just watch out for Sean P's jokes, he's pulled far too many Xmas crackers in his time! :) 

If you've got Brendan, Darren, Sean and Sean all together then frankly sit back and watch!! 

Of course we want pictures!!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, divorcingjack said:

Unfortunately, no Darren this time, just the three lads, but they seem more than capable! Terrible jokes will fit right in here :)

Brendan is more than enough, he knows his onions. 

Ask Sean P for his engineer joke. It's terrible but brilliant! Well I liked it :) 

Best of luck! 

I'm 2 years out from my build but hope it's an MBC one too. Looking forward to the pics and hollywood handprints in your floor slab!! Find a red robe and wander onto the slab when it's done to do a floor blessing ceremony while chanting to really raise their eyebrows! Don't forget lots and lots of biccy's! 

• 3 weeks later...

Just planning out service runs for DHW/CW to the kitchen island. What is required to run under or through an MBC slab that has mesh/ufh? I also need to to get the UFC into the plant room that is outside iof the the foundation footprint. 

3 hours ago, Silage said:

Just planning out service runs for DHW/CW to the kitchen island. What is required to run under or through an MBC slab that has mesh/ufh? I also need to to get the UFC into the plant room that is outside iof the the foundation footprint. 

I only needed to get a length of 6mm² T&E to the island, plus a run of 2.5mm² T&E for a single socket, so I bent a length of 25mm plastic conduit and cable tied it to the reinforcing fabric, before the pour.  Here are some photos, the yellow paint marks where kitchen units and the island will go and you can just make out the black conduit that comes up under the island right at the back of this photo (with a bit of red tape around the top):

5742a9e1b7acd_Housebasegoingdown3.thumb.JPG.a63fda24b89aa8a83265410681437f1e.JPG

This photo was after the pour, but before the slab was power floated, and you can see the bit of conduit sticking up where the island will go:

5742a9fac1654_Mudmudgloriousmud.thumb.JPG.c0a19e6996f588b0d1c036be4e424039.JPG

14 minutes ago, Silage said:

Very helpful as ever @JSHarris, and yes I do need some T&E to the island of course so i'll do the same, thanks. Is there any need to run Pex water pipes in a tray or can it be clipped to the mesh like the conduit, not sure if @Nickfromwales has come across this?

When you say water pipes, are you referring to hot and cold ? If so then I'd try and get the cold run under the heated slab, not in it. Hot is fine, but nothing worse than having to run luke warm water away to get a cold drink.